Premier Event Management
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m
Overall Rank = 109/258
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/16
Pre-race routine:

Arrived at transition at 5 AM (Soooo early). Racked my bike, laid out shoes/belt/etc. Made small talk with the guys racked near me. Walked around transistion looking at bikes, saying hi to people I know, etc. Changed into my tri-suit, noticed my heart rate was mid-high 60s.
Event warmup:

Walking, stretching, staying loose. Unable to get in the water.
Swim
  • 17m 23s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Panicked bad early. Couldn't get into a rhythm, got about 50 yards out, and got a kayaker to throw me a noodle. Chlled for a minute on the noodle and then worked to the first bouy. Hung on a kayak there for a couple minutes, then went to the second bouy, hung again on a kayak. Still freaked out about not being able to see or get into rhythm, seemed to get a mouthful of water with every breath. Finally gave up and just backstroked the last leg of the swim. Horrible swim, but I finished it.
What would you do differently?:

At this point, nothing. Going forward, just more time in the water. I've only been swimming for about 2 months now, so I'm confident I can improve with some coaching/training. Need more open water work as well.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Had a snafu since someone was kind enough to knock my helmet off my bike for me and I couldn't find it,my skull cap, or my sunglasses initially. Otherwise, transition went smoothly, except for the nagging near vomiting sensation I had running to transition after swallowing what seemed to be about a gallon of lake water.

Need more "jump on the bike practice",
Bike
  • 42m 37s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Slow start on the bike after the crap swim. Took a couple miles before I felt like myself on the bike. Thought I was faster because it seemed every time I looked down I was doing 20-21 MPH, but the clock doesn't lie. The ride into transition was kind of confusing. Would have pushed harder had I known where I was going. Felt like I passed who I was supposed to pass, and got passed by who was supposed to pass me based on where I think my cycling is. I need more time in the saddle but overall I'm happy with the ride.

Stay in aero more. Walk the bike course in/out before the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Very smooth transition. Running barefoot on concrete while rolling a bike kinda stinks. Practiced transitioning the day before the race and it paid off for me, as my running gear was well laid out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 5s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good on the run... really good. Thought I paced well and consistently, as my mile splits were all within a couple seconds of each other. I was especially surprised by this since it was warm and sunny on the course and that usually effects me a bit, but I'm guessing the adrenaline dump of the race overcame that.

Nothing. Great run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, walked around a bit, watched some bikes come into transition for the Olympic race, found the beer wagon and the jambalaya. Talked to some people including a pro. Then went to the last aid station to wait for a friend and ran the last .1 miles with her for moral support (in beach shorts and crocs).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My (lack of) swimming ability. A decent swim could have put me in a better position on the bike, which probably would have resulted in a better bike leg. And I'm sure the frustration with the swim probably cost me 20 seconds per mile on the run.

Event comments:

Live music at the post-race party would have been perfect. Overall, it was a good day for my first complete Tri.

Last updated: 2013-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:23 | 437 yards | 03m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/16
Overall: 253/258
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Out-over-back
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:37 | 12.43 miles | 17.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 104/258
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on Haynes Blvd. Mild to moderate crosswind. Decent road conditions.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:05 | 03.11 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 46/258
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back course, no shade, concrete, aid stations at start, 1 mile, turnaround, and 3 mile mark.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-05-26 11:49 PM

User image

Subject: Big Easy Sprint Triathlon

2013-05-27 12:22 AM
in reply to: #4757555

User image

Subject: RE: Big Easy Sprint Triathlon
Nice work on your first tri! Ill be doing a sprint in September, Im stoked. Ive been training in a pool as well. I plan on heading up north somewhere in AZ and getting some open water swim in. If I cant do that Ill have my fiance beat me with noodles and throw stuff at me down the lanes! Exciting though. Its all a learning experience and youll only improve!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Easy Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big Easy Sprint Triathlon

Started by remout
Views: 882 Posts: 1

2012-06-26 10:56 AM remout

National Sprint Triathlon Championships (Big Cow Sprint 2)

Started by tonyleney
Views: 774 Posts: 1

2010-06-06 12:47 PM tonyleney

Big Fish Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by jhanton
Views: 1974 Posts: 6

2007-07-05 9:55 AM TitanIV

Started by CrunchMaster
Views: 1838 Posts: 5

2007-06-19 4:04 PM Gina76

Started by sushigirl
Views: 2175 Posts: 12

2007-06-23 9:00 AM maxpixie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
Is there any point in time of a training plan where a "big week" would be most optimal? This article discusses sports rotation and other high volume week options to improve.

date : March 4, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 20
Many people have been asking my opinion of this popular show, so I feel obliged to scream out: It's terrible! It’s horrible! It's abusive! I also feel like throwing my shoe at the TV.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : January 1, 2006
author : browncd
comments : 1
Trials on getting a bike that fits while also being reliable

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?