General Discussion Race Reports! » Clay's Park Multisport Kickoff Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Clay's Park Multisport Kickoff Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
North Lawrence, Ohio
United States
CHAMP Racing
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 38s
Overall Rank = 29/119
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 and drove an hour to the event. Showed up at 6am when transition opened, set up my spot, checked in at packet pickup. Then, milled about talking with people and generally tried to not freeze my butt off. There was frost on the ground and fog over all of the water. It was freaking COLD.
Event warmup:

With 15 minutes to go before the start of the race, the fog finally burned off enough to see the buoys, so they didn't cancel the swim, though a lot of folks had switched to doing the Du.

I got in the water and made a point of getting my face & head in and getting the shock over with. Swam about 25 yards out and back to the start line, then peed in the wetsuit..... I was ready.
Swim
  • 07m 27s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went out hard and fast, but I didn't realize it until we were about half way out when I sighted the first time and saw that I was in like 3rd place and then I realized that I had completely forgotten all about pacing myself in any way, whatsoever. Unfortunately, I have kinda burned my arms up a bit and I had trouble finding a pace to settle into that didn't feel turtle slow. Coming around the turn buoy, I ended up going really wide, and then I realized that we were swimming back directly into the sun. I had worn my clear goggles and not my tinted ones because of the early morning conditions and I didn't think to switch back after the sun had come up and burned off the fog. Lesson learned. Whole lot of squinting and going off course on the short swim back in... then I was on land and running to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Train, pace myself.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I took it slow. Because of the temps, I had brought a towel to dry off a little before getting on the bike. So, I dried real quick, then put on gloves, then helmet and shoes and ran off.

I flubbed getting the suit off easily because I forgot to body glide wrists and ankles, and I hadn't practiced getting the suit on/off over the Garmin... this was my first time with it and it was tougher than I had anticipated.

Hope for warmer weather, body glide/PAM spray
Bike
  • 36m 41s
  • 11.6 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

This started out decently, then I had a mechanical on the first hill.... tire rub from the rear wheel. I transported the bike with the wheels off, and I apparently didn't do a good job of putting it back on before the race despite a short test ride. Had to stop and fix the wheel, during which time I lost about 10 places.

There were a number of hills on this course... nothing monstrous, but several that I had to get out of the seat for to maintain speed. I feel like I should be able to ride better than I did, but then again, it doesn't appear that I can. I tried to drink some water on the bike, but I was fighting cotton mouth so badly that I couldn't barely even swish water in the mouth... it was weird.

Train. Other than one other race last month, I haven't ridden the bike since mid-March and I'm quite obviously losing both swim and bike fitness.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Came into T2 well. I leave the shoes on my feet until the bike is racked. Some day I'll practice getting out of the shoes on the bike, but I'm not going to practice it for the first time one race day.

Got the bike racked quickly, despite the fact that their crazy short racks required me to slide my bike under them on an angle, swigged some water, bike shoes off, run shoes on and off I went.

Not much.
Run
  • 23m 26s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I can tell that I just did a marathon a week ago, because my legs did not want to move and I was nearly 3 full minutes slower than my sprint of a month ago and it hurt more than that run from a month ago.

Not much to say here except that I just rode it out and pushed where and when I could, but it wasn't much. The legs just felt heavy and didn't have a lot in them.

not race a week after a marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and talked to a bunch of really cool people. There were people from here, from Team RWB, from my Tri club, people coached by the guy that sold me my bike, and even a former coworker. It was super cool to run into all of these people; it was also a first for me. I'm used to going to races and not really knowing anyone, hehe.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and perhaps still feeling last week's marathon... besides that, I dunno - just a slow day, maybe?

Last updated: 2013-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:27 | 500 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 30/119
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro, full sleeve
Course: Out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:41 | 11.6 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Overall: 30/119
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back, lotta rolling hills. Some tougher ones.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:26 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 37/119
Performance: Below average
Course: Two loops around the campground.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-05-28 2:20 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: Clay's Park Multisport Kickoff Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clay's Park Multisport Kickoff Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

NEO Triathlon Kickoff

Started by tibibacsi
Views: 855 Posts: 1

2009-06-08 9:33 AM tibibacsi

Wheelie Fun Multisport Series Maumee Bay State Park Triathlon

Started by Thomas Demerly
Views: 1771 Posts: 4

2008-06-23 12:14 PM running2far

Clays Park Tri

Started by psycofish
Views: 925 Posts: 1

2008-06-10 10:26 AM psycofish

NEO Triathlon Kickoff

Started by run4life
Views: 834 Posts: 1

2007-06-18 3:02 PM run4life

NEO Triathlon Kickoff

Started by ovspmike
Views: 1013 Posts: 2

2007-06-15 7:13 AM drdi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.
date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Team BT
2003 Ultraman World Champion.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!