Sandy Hookers
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 51s
Overall Rank = 86/112
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, too nervous to eat, loaded car and headed out by 5:20. So glad we did a preview ride a week ago so I knew exactly where I was going. Found a parking spot just about a block away. Grabbed my gear and walked to packet pick up. Found a spot to drop my towel and brought my bag with phone, keys, etc to bag check. Went back to my towel - watched people, used the port-o-john and drank some water. Made sure to apply chapstick. Will be glad I did this.
Event warmup:

Sat and watched people until about 6:45 and started to get into wetsuit. Headed down to the water to do an easy warmup and shake some of the butterflies. Repeated this a second time right before the race.
Swim
  • 47m 51s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Met a really nice woman who gave me some pointers about the current and not having to save too much on the first part since that was against the current whereas the second part was with the current. Found spotting the buoys pretty easy until the turn around when the sun was in my face. Took my time as I passed one to stop for a second and sight to the next one.

SOO excited when I realized I was not the last woman out of the water!!!!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure to use bodyglide on my neck since it was irritated from the wetsuit collar.

Not much to change on the swim since I am very happy with my performance and being able to freestyle the entire distance. VERY proud of myself!!!!

Hydrate more prior to starting out. Brackish water made me VERY thirsty. So glad I did the chapstick!

Wear my heart rate monitor or at least a watch. Would love to have a GPS watch so that I could see exactly how far I really did swim since I did go wide on on some parts of the course.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Stripped out of my wetsuit and walked to get my bag so I could text Mike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing, felt great. Managed to handle the waves before the turnaround and the occasional bumping into people. Even stopped to help a fellow swimmer fix her timing chip strap right after the turn around so good deed done for the day as well!

Event comments:

So glad I did this race as my first long distance open water swim. I am sure I will be back again!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-03-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:51 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 86/112
Performance:
Suit: yes
Course: Clockwise 1.2 mile course, against current going out but with current on way back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-06-01 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: Nav-E-Sink or Swim - 1.2 Mile
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nav-E-Sink or Swim - 1.2 Mile Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nav-E-Sink or Swim - 1.2 Mile

Started by abrandao29
Views: 892 Posts: 1

2012-07-03 10:20 PM abrandao29

Nav-E Sink or Swim

Started by weds19
Views: 1131 Posts: 3

2009-06-09 6:20 PM Queen K

Nav-E Sink or Swim

Started by kristinc0916
Views: 1775 Posts: 1

2009-06-08 8:44 PM kristinc0916

Nav-E Sink or Swim

Started by PSUguru
Views: 1589 Posts: 4

2009-06-09 7:26 PM lastcall2003

Nav-e-sink or swim

Started by reneej
Views: 927 Posts: 2

2007-06-05 7:10 PM LaurenSU02
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : November 16, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I have been swimming for ten months and it has been quite a challenge. I'm sure you have heard this before but I am a sinker.
date : January 28, 2010
Discussions on getting below 1:15 swim pace, how to get faster as a new swimmer, benefit of a wetsuit and sinking hips.

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : October 9, 2007
author : RaytownPete
”Dang! That water’s cold!” immediately hit me. In these first few seconds, my triathlon goal sunk quicker than my legs and torso had. I now knew this was going to be a lot harder than I imagined.

date : September 25, 2007
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : January 1, 2007
comments : 1
You will need to practice a couple of things to get those hips to the surface of the water, where they should be. The two drills involve head position and balance.

date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.