United States
Yeti Beti
Sunny
Total Time = 38m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6 and made an omelette with a ton of veggies and some coffee. I was nervous since this was my first mountain bike race, so I couldn't choke down my whole breakfast, but enough to feel like I had something in me. Got everything ready and headed out.
Event warmup:

Parked outside the park so I could get a few warmup miles in on the way to the race start. Worked out well - got there about 10 minutes before the start, got my number on the bike, and got in line.
Bike
  • 38m 54s
  • 8.1 miles
  • 12.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out in the second row of the "Never Ever" group. By the time we hit the singletrack I was in third, and on the first hill two of us passed the chick in first who had gone out too fast, I guess. Hung on to the wheel of the girl in front of me for the whole first lap. We passed a bunch of girls in the beginner class (10 min before us) on the two big hills, but stuck together. Seemed like the hills were the only places on the course where I had to pass people. Heading out on my second lap, my lungs started giving me trouble. I haven't had issues with my asthma in ages, so I didn't even think to take my inhaler before the race, but I started wheezing and coughing heading up the first hill. At that point, a girl in my group passed me to put me in third. I took it a bit easy for a bit to let my lungs chill out, then pushed as hard as I could for the rest of the second lap. As far as I could tell, no one was near me coming into the last hill up the gravel road to the finish, but a girl I know came out of nowhere and passed me heading up the hill. I tried to catch her but had no legs, so ended up in fourth at the very last minute. Kind of a bummer since I was in the top 3 the whole race! That'll teach me to pay attention better next time
What would you do differently?:

Push it a little bit more on the turns, and pay better attention to who is behind me. I thought I had 3rd in the bag!
Post race
Warm down:

Found Nate and the kids and caught my breath, then headed out, Would have stuck around longer but the kids were hungry etc. Next time, I'll make sure I pack a bag for them with stuff to tide them over - it would have been nice to stick around and watch the pros race. Rode my bike back to the car, which was kind of miserable with my dead legs!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I climbed well and rode the flats well, but I noticed people catching me every time there was a sharp corner. I think I really need to work on my cornering and not be such a wuss. My friend wouldn't have passed me at the end if I hadn't slowed so much to make the turn off the singletrack onto the gravel road. Also, need to remember to take my inhaler before the race next time - that was just kind of dumb.

Event comments:

This was the most fun race I've ever been to. Yeti Beti puts on a really fun and well-organized event, and it was a blast! This was my first mountain bike race and it was so much fun that I'm definitely planning to do some more now. There were a lot of fast, tough ladies racing out there, but the vibe was still fun and laid back.

Last updated: 2013-06-02 12:00 AM
Biking
00:38:54 | 08.1 miles | 12.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Two laps around Bear Creek Lake Park. Pretty fast course with a couple of short, punchy hills. No tech.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right