General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I fall apart during my long runs? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-06-08 6:34 PM
in reply to: tkos

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Why do I fall apart during my long runs?
Originally posted by tkos

I know this has been mentioned before, but your zones aren't right. No way. You really should at this point train by pace and not zone. There is no way you were running in Zone 5 for 3 miles that far into your run. Following those numbers just isn't helpful if they aren't right.

Your best bet would be to use the Daniels Formulas to determine training paces and follow those. Or else just run by perceived exertion.

In no way should a long run include anything higher than maybe Zone 3, and really, Zone 3 isn't for training in anyway. It is a Zone that increases the risk of injury for little extra benefit. Your coach should know that.

Oh, I know, which is why I went by RPE That's why at the end, that 160, it says mid-zone 5 but that's my 5K race pace. But still log it and compare it. That's why from the beginning it shows higher than what my "zones" are. I probably hit it by RPE.

2013-06-08 10:28 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Veteran
Great White North
I used to train 20-30 hours per week as a swimmer and most races lasted 1-4 minutes...
2013-06-25 7:27 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Master
Originally posted by GatorDeb

And the answer to that is, I don't know, ask me in three weeks.

I hired a coach, I followed a plan, now it's all wait and see.

Deb,

First congratulations on competing your Ironman! Awesome job and awesome determination. I know I wouldn't have kept going. When asked about your run training a few weeks ago you avoided the question by saying ask me in three weeks. Now that you finished your race I will ask again:

People have been trying to get you to see this for quite some time. How about this, answer these two questions:

Do you think your training plan is adequate in preparing you to run the last leg of an Ironman or even a standalone marathon?

If your answer to the above is no, then in your opinion what changes should you make to correct the situation?

If your answer is yes, why?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why do I fall apart during my long runs? Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Why no music during the run? Pages: 1 2

Started by lamb_y2003
Views: 3647 Posts: 44

2011-04-26 4:20 PM Brightbow

Long run during maintenance and other running questions Pages: 1 2

Started by jsiegs
Views: 2333 Posts: 26

2010-11-27 10:50 AM jsiegs

Fell apart!

Started by swatops23
Views: 1451 Posts: 9

2010-06-28 1:00 PM trix

New bike gloves just fell apart

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1430 Posts: 11

2007-03-11 5:58 PM ragingferret

Races and Me and Falling Apart

Started by nliedel
Views: 1352 Posts: 16

2005-08-22 12:04 PM nliedel
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : July 6, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 9
I am training for my first sprint tri and I am having the hardest time with the run. I just get really winded between the 1-1/12 mile mark.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.