City of Ballwin
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 12s
Overall Rank = 50/240
Age Group = 19-24
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

It was a late night. Got off work late and didn't get in bed until 1am, so i was going on about 5 hours of sleep. Also, because I work in a restaurtant and the food was there I ate french fries and ice cream for dinner last night. Not usually a good idea the night before a race, but it didn't hurt me too much this time around.
Event warmup:

Walking around. Some light streching.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 300 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The people in my lane were really nice. We had time to discuss a plan for the lane before we started. I was a faster swimmer, so they decided to let me have the whole right side of the lane to myself, while they circle swam on the other side of the lane. Made for a good swim time, which really makes me want to know what my split time was, but they weren't keeping them. I should have worn a watch and tried to get my own splits.
What would you do differently?:

time myself, or have someone else do it.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transition was a little slow. Part of the run coming from the pool included stairs (going down). I could have done without those. It was smooth getting my shoes and socks on, but then someone had knocked over my helmet and i had to walk around the bike rack to pick it up and then come back around to get the bike. It looked like people were riding from the racks out of the transition area vs. running and then getting on the bike, but i wasn't sure of the rules for this, so i ran to the line and then got on the bike.

I have considered biking and running without socks, but i don't know. I will have to try it in training first.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 9 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to work some on cornering, it still makes me a little nervous. Gear changes on the bike were good. Hill was tough, but i made it. I had to get out of the saddle both times. I don't know how people do hills while staying in the saddle, I always have to get out. Of course I don't like to change into lower gears, i would rather keep the gear on and power up the hill. During the race i passed, and got bassed by the same biker like three times, but it was good to have someone to keep pace and challenge.

I have to work on hill climbs before Babler. I won't be able to go up the hills in that park without shifting to lower gears. Also i just need to work on my stamina going up those hills. Work on drinking more water while on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't have clips, so no shoe change. That makes this transition a little faster, but i always take off running with my helmet still on. Took a few steps realized it turned, and kind of tossed it back into the transition area. I was in the last heat off, so when i got to this transition there were a lot of athletes that were already finished. Some were standing there talking saying: "Oh my god, can you believe those hills, both ways i kept wondering when it would end." Not exactly the words you wanna over hear. Lie to me, tell me its flat would ya.

Remeber to take helmet off
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I thought i might not make it through this one. Coming off the bike my body tempature was already pretty high. During the first part of the run my legs just weren't with me and i couldn't get my pace going. Felt really bad and wasn't sure i was going to make it through the run, at least not very fast. The second half was soooooo much better!! Finally got some endorphins and adrenaline going or something. At the aid station grabbed a bunch of water and just poured it on myself at the half way mark. Body cooled and immediately pace picked up. Kept good pace till the finish. There was a woman in her yard spraying people with the hose, that was much appreciated. Even though we couldn't get splits i think the run was decent compared to my past times.

Try and get my pace going in the first half of the run. More water on the bike, bring some to carry with me on the run. The heat was really a factor for me on the run. That 3.2 mile run felt every bit as long as 5 miles.

Post race
Warm down:

walked around a bit, downed like 6 bottles of water. Said hi to getsome and his wife and chatted for a while, waiting for the awards. Congrats to Brandon for taking second in his age group, and I was happy to finish second in my age group as well. Overall i was very happy with my performance and time. I really enjoyed myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Late start 8:45, very warm day. I think the heat really was a factor. This triathlon was about half the distance of rec plex triathlon and felt every bit as hard if not harder. I don't think i was any less prepared, but I need to train some more in the afternoon hours, so my body gets used to preforming in the heat.

Event comments:

The run was short and there were two aid stations, but it was just sooo hot. I would have liked maybe another station. Not necessarily because i wanted to drink the water, but i just wanted to be able to dump it on myself.

Last updated: 2006-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 300 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Good
Suit: speedo and bike shorts
Course: Pool tempature was good, three people in each lane. Wide lanes, quality 25 yard pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 09 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: There was one good climb right out of the gates, and the course was a loop so we got to do it twice. It was a tough one, but doable. Not that i would have wanted to do it a third time. The rest of the course was fairly flat and fast, marked well.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:00:00 | 03.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The run was hilly, both ways.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 5:41 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Ballwin Triathlon

2006-07-17 10:47 AM
in reply to: #484022

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Ballwin Triathlon

Nice race!

We both suffered a bit on the run, but got the job done.  Congrats.

Great to meet you, too.

~B

2006-07-17 11:04 AM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Great job! You are doing great!

Sitting on uphills has its advantages, just because it doesn't wear on your legs as much to spin up them. That might help you hvae a great run for Babler!

2006-07-17 11:32 AM

New user

St. Louis
On the run feeling like 5 miles. I talked to Matt before the race and he told me it wasn't really 3.2, it was more like 3.5. He said he needs to change the race literature for next year. Anyway, that should make everyone feel a little better about their run time.
2006-07-17 12:56 PM
in reply to: #484759

User image

It seemed like at least 4 to me! That second aid station felt like at least a mile from the first! But than again this was my first one! And running is my weakness so anything would have felt long. But that is nice to know that is was a little longer that I thought!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ballwin Triathlon Rss Feed