General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's in your bag? (i.e. what to pack). Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-11 1:42 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: What's in your bag? (i.e. what to pack).
Am I missing anything? What would you add or take away? First full!!

Swim:
- Clear Goggles
- Mirror Goggles
- Wetsuit
- Swim cap (just in case)
- Skull cap

Bike:
- Bike shoes
- Helmet
- Pump
- Extra tubes and canisters along with the repair kit on bike
- Gloves

Run
- Shoes
- Hat/Visor

Bike & Run
- Sunglasses
- DeSoto SkinCooler shirt
- DeSoto SkinCooler Leggings
- Spray sunscreen

Ointments
- Shammy cream
- Sunscreen
- Vaseline (for shoes and feet)
- BodyGlide

Misc:
- Prescription sunglasses

On me the whole time:
- Tri Suit
- Blister gel pads (water-resistant)

Nutrition bike
- Bottle of Perpetuem with 8 scoops (bottle holder in front)
- 4 PowerBars split in 2 each
- Couple gels just in case
- 2 water bottles
- Gu Brew Electrolyte tabs

Nutrition run
- 4 gels in tri suit just in case
- SaltSticks
- Gu Brew Electrolyte tabs

Special needs bike:
- Honestly, no idea.

Special needs run:
- Duct tape for blisters
- Coke
- Couple gels
- Pair of dry socks
- Sunscreen

Missing anything? Thanks! I'm going out of state, so if I forget it, have to buy it!

2013-06-11 11:09 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: RE: What's in your bag? (i.e. what to pack).
I don't see socks on the list of your T1 items, not sure if you plan on wearing socks for the bike. I think the dry pair in the Run Special Needs bag is a good idea.

In my Bike Special Needs I put some more shammy cream, a couple of more gels that I knew I liked the flavor of, and a Snickers. On one of my long training rides I had a Snickers and remembered how good it tasted, so put it in my bag. I ate it, but for whatever reason, it didn't taste so good on race day. The extra cream was needed.

I had socks and arm warmers in my Run Special Needs, but didn't end up getting anything.

Good luck.
2013-06-11 11:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by GatorDeb Am I missing anything? What would you add or take away? First full!!  

Something I added to my checklists was pre- and post-race nutrition so I wouldn't forget. Mine was a PB sandwich and gatorade for ~30 minutes before the start and some special (gluten free) food for after. 

Also I had multiple Body Glides and Sunscreens - I indicated which bag each went in. So "Body Glide (1 of 3) in pre-race bag" - or "Sunscreen (1 of 2) in T1 bag" that kind of thing.

Couple of other things on my list that you may or may not need:

Socks
Hair rubberband for ponytail
An extra bottle w/ water to fill aero-bottle pre-race
Tylenol 
Rain jersey for bike
Race belt
Chap stick
Long sleeved shirt (run special needs

Special needs bike I included an extra sunscreen (used both IMs I did! I fried, despite coating myself in T1), spare nutrition and spare tubes/c02s. Basically a "worst case scenario" bag.

Edited by lisac957 2013-06-11 11:39 AM
2013-06-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Also I stole this idea from someone else on BT but a great way for me to organize when packing was to use those huge ziplock bags as each of the bags I'd get at check-in. Morning Clothes, Swim-to-Bike (T1), Bike Special Needs, Bike-to-Run (T2), Run Special Needs. 

That way when you get your IM-issued bags you can just dump the contents of your ziplock bags directly into them. Saves some time and stress on-site.

Here's what mine looked like:

2013-06-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by lisac957

Also I stole this idea from someone else on BT but a great way for me to organize when packing was to use those huge ziplock bags as each of the bags I'd get at check-in. Morning Clothes, Swim-to-Bike (T1), Bike Special Needs, Bike-to-Run (T2), Run Special Needs. 

That way when you get your IM-issued bags you can just dump the contents of your ziplock bags directly into them. Saves some time and stress on-site.

Here's what mine looked like:

Really like this idea - gonna steel it Lisac!
2013-06-11 3:14 PM
in reply to: grahamclarke_6

User image

Kansas City, Missouri
For me I never leave home without chapstick. Ever.

Pack some post race beers???

2013-06-12 1:21 AM
in reply to: coyote39

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Thank you so much for the replies

Yep, just got me some of those something Wrightsocks, I use them on the bike.

Thanks for pointing out I need more than one BodyGlide. Buying a couple little ones for the special needs bag.

I've done the ziplock baggie thing before! Mostly to put all my gels and SaltSticks and suck together and stick it on the tri suit and off I go running and then I can open it up on the run. Great idea for this.

Also getting me some travel size sunscreen for special needs bags, I will have spray sunscreen in transition.
2013-06-12 1:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Thank you so much for the replies

Yep, just got me some of those something Wrightsocks, I use them on the bike.

Thanks for pointing out I need more than one BodyGlide. Buying a couple little ones for the special needs bag.

I've done the ziplock baggie thing before! Mostly to put all my gels and SaltSticks and suck together and stick it on the tri suit and off I go running and then I can open it up on the run. Great idea for this.

Also getting me some travel size sunscreen for special needs bags, I will have spray sunscreen in transition.

So many other great ideas. I do have some sunblock chapstick.

Edited by GatorDeb 2013-06-12 1:24 AM
2013-06-22 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4772898

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Here's my packing list and analysis. I totally forgot the sunscreen and they had none on the course. I got burned to a crisp! (IMCoz). Other than that, I felt well-prepared. I'd skip the coke in the special needs bag - they had plenty of fluids on the course.

Anyway, here ya go:

http://forslowkidseverywhere.blogspot.com/2013/01/ironman-packing-l...
2013-06-22 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4784151

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
I would also add Vaseline in the t 1 bag if it's a salt water swim. I wasn't used to salt water and my armpits chafed SO BAD. Luckily they did have Vaseline available in the tent. I tried chamois cream on my pits at first. Don't do that. Buuuurn!!!!!

Some of the more useful things I had were a towel in t1, a bandana tied to my aerobars (for snot!), aleve and pain relief cream (I got it from a medic, but it would be a good idea to pack some), and a pb&j in my t2 bag. I grabbed it and ate it at the beginning of the run. I don't tolerate solid food well while running, so that gave me an extra boost before my stomach shut down. It's a long day. Food is good.
2013-07-11 11:05 AM
in reply to: GatorDeb

User image

Patella Straps (bike and run), Tennis Elbow Bands (bike), copious amounts of straps to lash yourself to the bike when your hands disintegrate... I'm not going to pack much nutrition, just a couple Powerbars and several dozen Endurolyte capsules, since there are food stops every 10 miles on bike and every mile during run at 2013 Lake Placid Ironman. I just hit the $5000 fund raising mark for Team in Training, it... is.... ON!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What's in your bag? (i.e. what to pack). Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

IM Packing question

Started by AbbieR
Views: 1006 Posts: 4

2009-08-26 3:59 PM jldicarlo

IMLou - Even consider packing a wetsuit

Started by tsprks
Views: 1332 Posts: 16

2009-07-12 3:43 PM amymengel

What to pack in T1 &2 bags and special needs???

Started by Magella
Views: 1110 Posts: 7

2009-06-25 10:52 PM grit_nugget

ironman packing list

Started by ironlib
Views: 4892 Posts: 19

2009-06-01 5:03 PM T in Liberty Lake

1/2 Iron Packing List

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 939 Posts: 3

2007-08-14 6:42 PM ADollar79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : October 12, 2012
author : TheClaaaw
comments : 4
A back of back of packer feels sympathy for the vast middle of the pack who never gets nearly as many cheers.
date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?
date : June 4, 2006
author : BodyCheck
comments : 9
Make peace with your speed. A full 85% of the field is done and heading out for brunch by the time my feet hit the finish line.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Ontherun
comments : 3
In part one the focus was the packing phase of a race. Here are a few more ideas to help with a successful race.
date : April 10, 2005
author : scuba-punk
comments : 2
Tuesday April 5, 2005 marks the 1 year anniversary of my departure from my old life - a life consuming bags of fried pork rinds and way less activity than a person should be able to get away with.

date : November 14, 2004
author : Glenn
I have seen cyclists go to a bike shop the day before a race expecting their problem to be fixed, only to be told the shop cannot complete the job in time.