United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 136/210
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/31
Pre-race routine:

Another really old race report. Just putting it out there so I don't have to see the word (DRAFT) next to it anymore. At least I understand why I didn't release this one but I kind of wish that I had filled out more than a couple of lines and my times...

I took some artistic license and filled in what I remember almost 3 years later.
Event warmup:

I imagine I ate my two mini-bagels and chocolate Gu. Truly, the breakfast of MOP'ers everywhere. :P
Swim
  • 11m 57s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

From what I can remember, it was a decent swim and I learned my past lessons by letting everyone else beat each other up during the wave start as I walked into the water and then passed them with a wide turn around the buoy. My sighting during the middle part of the race got a little wonky but I started and finished it well.

I did let my ego get the better of me and I just raced some guy from the last buoy into the finish which cooked me for the run to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Draft of the guy instead of racing him - otherwise, I don't remember beating myself up over anything.
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

Yes, it looks like I whipped out a La-Z-Boy and had a quick rest, doesn't it?

Pant less, move more, and not try to put socks on while my feet are wet and the ground was slightly muddy.
Bike
  • 37m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr

I don't remember much about this at this point other than I was happy to have learned my shifting lesson and didn't drop my chain...
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s

A much better transition than the first. I guess I learned my lesson from the first one.
Run
  • 42m 31s
  • 4 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually set up a good run and walk combination that I was able to sustain throughout the race. I just missed my goal of 10 minute miles.

I simply have to work on my run...and lose lots of weight. My wife said nearly everyone else looked like they were enjoying themselves as they crossed the finish line while I looked like I was in labor.
Post race
Warm down:

I waddled around and panted a bit before checking out the spread and grabbing a bagel and some juice. There is no truth to the rumors that a large round object so white that it could be seen from space was briefly seen while putting on a dry t-shirt.

Event comments:

I have a soft spot for this race since it was one of my first. It doesn't have a ton of frills but it is pretty well run and it is nice to run along the boardwalk. I'd certainly do it again.

Last updated: 2010-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:57 | 500 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/210
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Just out from the beach and two right turns back into it. What killed me was the long jog across the beach, over some pavement, and into T1. Plus, to add insult to injury, I lost my goggles during the run/walk. At least my wife got to tell me to "move my arse" when I was walking.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:37:29 | 12 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: A couple of loops on Father Capudano Blvd. Road was slightly better this year compared to last, though there were a few potholes that scared me...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:31 | 04 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the wooden and paved boardwalk. It's still a nice albeit warm run, even for those of us who are undertrained or don't care for running.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-12 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Subject: STATEN ISLAND TRI/DU-ATHLON
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » STATEN ISLAND TRI/DU-ATHLON Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

STATEN ISLAND TRI/DU-ATHLON

Started by Sulcus
Views: 981 Posts: 1

2013-06-12 2:28 PM Sulcus

STATEN ISLAND TRI/DU-ATHLON

Started by mildew33
Views: 1024 Posts: 1

2012-08-28 4:21 PM mildew33

Staten Island 1/2 Marathon Grand Prix

Started by JenBunn1e
Views: 1302 Posts: 6

2006-10-22 9:05 AM shawn barr

New York Tri/Bi-athlon Series #2 - Harriman Duathlon

Started by desertduck
Views: 916 Posts: 1

2006-08-28 10:38 AM desertduck

NYRR Grand Prix: Staten Island - half marathon

Started by 510climbergirl
Views: 938 Posts: 1

2005-10-16 3:51 PM 510climbergirl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.