Other Resources My Cup of Joe » True Blood season 6 (spoilers) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-08-21 11:40 AM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: True Blood season 6 (spoilers)

So, now that another season is over....

I was wondering if the Fairy blood was going to be a new story line. But I guess that is over with. I didn't really get how Warlo got staked on the tree in the Fairy plane, but then died in real life... I guess that is how those things work. But so much for him. I really thought that was going to be something new too, but that wrapped him up pronto. But Grand Pa is back...

Eric did burn up on the Glacier. I assume they are leaving that for next season... so he is on a glacier, he could have melted the ice and sank into some darkness? Pam might have helped, but she too had no protection. I find it hard to believe they just end Eric like that. I mean come on. Remember when Russel was out too long but he got buried in silver and lived. Godrick hung out and got fried pretty quick though??? Who knows.

Sookie is back with Alcid. What ever. Sam Mayor... and how the heck do you have roaming groups of Vamps with Hep V? Nora died pretty quick from it... like by that night right? Oh well, next season I'm sure will open with a huge vamp slaughter as the good ones save the day at the "social". No telling where it will go next year.

2013-08-21 12:58 PM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
2013-08-21 3:25 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by powerman

So, now that another season is over....

I was wondering if the Fairy blood was going to be a new story line. But I guess that is over with. I didn't really get how Warlo got staked on the tree in the Fairy plane, but then died in real life... I guess that is how those things work. But so much for him. I really thought that was going to be something new too, but that wrapped him up pronto. But Grand Pa is back...

Eric did burn up on the Glacier. I assume they are leaving that for next season... so he is on a glacier, he could have melted the ice and sank into some darkness? Pam might have helped, but she too had no protection. I find it hard to believe they just end Eric like that. I mean come on. Remember when Russel was out too long but he got buried in silver and lived. Godrick hung out and got fried pretty quick though??? Who knows.

Sookie is back with Alcid. What ever. Sam Mayor... and how the heck do you have roaming groups of Vamps with Hep V? Nora died pretty quick from it... like by that night right? Oh well, next season I'm sure will open with a huge vamp slaughter as the good ones save the day at the "social". No telling where it will go next year.

I'm not sure how much more of this show I can take.

Now that you mentioned it... Warlo gets staked and doesn't die, and then he does. HUH?

Also, why did Sookie ever thing he was NICE? I mean, every time he was coming for her... he was mean.

Grandpa coming out to help. Give me a break. *rolls eyes*

Glad Eric is probably going to still be around.

OK, I asked how vamps with Hep V were roaming when they die so quick! They die quick, yet they can roam and kill humans? GIVE ME A BREAK.

That girl they have Sam with is so SPARE and how they met is so STUPID.

Sookie with Alci ... OK, whatever.

Not sure I can watch this series anymore.
2013-08-21 6:04 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

So, I'm assuming with a couple pages of posts, True Blood fans out there?

I realized a couple weeks ago that on direcTV on demand, I can get all the episodes of tons of series.

I'm thinking I may watch Supranos from start to finish, The Wire, and possibly True Blood.

So, worth it?  (Watching True blood from season 1, episode 1 to current?)

2013-08-21 6:21 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Elite
Oh heck ya. It's really good. As shows go on in seasons, the honey moon is over, and maybe not as good. But you can't stay awesome forever. Definitely one of my favorite HBO series ever.
2013-08-22 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by Kido

I realized a couple weeks ago that on direcTV on demand, I can get all the episodes of tons of series.

I'm thinking I may watch Supranos from start to finish, The Wire, and possibly True Blood.

if you binge the sopranos then the wire, you will be sadly let down by true blood. Not even in the same league. Unless you need a brain palate cleanser before moving to Breaking Bad, or even Boardwalk Empire. TB is fine for what it is, but should not be in the s ame discussion as The Wire or Sopranos.

2013-08-22 11:36 AM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Elite
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

if you binge the sopranos then the wire, you will be sadly let down by true blood. Not even in the same league. Unless you need a brain palate cleanser before moving to Breaking Bad, or even Boardwalk Empire. TB is fine for what it is, but should not be in the s ame discussion as The Wire or Sopranos.

How do you figure? I'm cool with just a different opinion, I'm just curious. When Sopranos and The wire came out, they grabbed you right away. They were more easily digestible being based in "reality". But TB grabbed me right away too... like OZ did. It was shocking, and I could not wait to see what happened next. Perhaps it can't stay that way, but it still has my attention.

2013-08-22 11:43 AM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm actually plugging away a couple episodes of Curb your Enthusiasm a night.  You know that first season was in 2000?  Man, time flies.

Then I will probably move to the wire since i haven't seen a  second of that so it will all be new.  I have heard amazing reviews on it and some reviewers say it was the best show EVER on TV.  Purely subjective, of course.

I almost exclusively stick to the cable series shows.  Dexter, Spartacus, Borgias, etc.  almost all of them.  But True Blood never really got my attention.  It always looked a bit campy to me.  BUT, keep hearing that people like it, so if I can watch it from beginning to current without renting/buying it?  Why not?  Now it is a good time because other than Dexter (and we are going to try the White Queen), everything is on offseason.   Maybe finish it before Boardwalk empire starts up again.

2013-08-22 1:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

I'm actually plugging away a couple episodes of Curb your Enthusiasm a night.  You know that first season was in 2000?  Man, time flies.

Then I will probably move to the wire since i haven't seen a  second of that so it will all be new.  I have heard amazing reviews on it and some reviewers say it was the best show EVER on TV.  Purely subjective, of course.

I almost exclusively stick to the cable series shows.  Dexter, Spartacus, Borgias, etc.  almost all of them.  But True Blood never really got my attention.  It always looked a bit campy to me.  BUT, keep hearing that people like it, so if I can watch it from beginning to current without renting/buying it?  Why not?  Now it is a good time because other than Dexter (and we are going to try the White Queen), everything is on offseason.   Maybe finish it before Boardwalk empire starts up again.

I never could get into Curb your Enthusiasm. He was just too over the top. Not that lLarry David isn't funny, or the show could not be funny. I would watch it and wanted to like it... but meh.

The Wire really was all that. One of the best shows HBO ever did. And no I'm not trying to sat TB is there yet. But The Wire had me from beginning to end and I was bummed when they ended it. I wasn't done.

The Entourage was one I really liked. First, I can't really stand "celebrities", and a show about them was the last thing I wanted to watch. I didn't for the first couple of seasons, but then it grew on me, and then I could not get enough. It was more just guys being friends than "celebrities"... but Jeremy Piven's Ari Gold... without a doubt, one of the best series performances of a character EVER. Every bit Tony Soprano and I know I'm saying a lot comparing him to Gandolfini, but he was awesome in that role. Vulgar, but awesome.

Board Walk is really good. Rome was good. And Newsroom has been really good so far.

Edited by powerman 2013-08-22 1:16 PM
2013-08-22 1:20 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I am really liking Ray Donovan on Showtime!
2013-08-22 5:17 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

How do you figure? I'm cool with just a different opinion, I'm just curious. When Sopranos and The wire came out, they grabbed you right away. They were more easily digestible being based in "reality". But TB grabbed me right away too... like OZ did. It was shocking, and I could not wait to see what happened next. Perhaps it can't stay that way, but it still has my attention.

I've watched all of true blood thus far, so I'm not hating on the show. But the soap opera-ness of it just doesn't put it up there among the great series for me. The dialogue has some snappy one liners now and then (usually from Pam) but the constant Sookie-in-trouble trope is just wearisome. The under developed storylines like Jason and the panthers, the missed potential with the authority only being relevant in one season, it just seems like there's no continuity to the universe, and the last episode was a total trainwreck of lazy writing. My wife loves the books, and said they haven't kept close to them in a while.

So that's why I say you can't even compare a show like this to the Wire, or even the Sopranos. I compare it to a Dexter (which also has probably jumped its shark, I'm not up to speed on this season yet), or a Homeland. Those, as you say, grab one's attention, no doubt, and entertain. But there's a certain something that I think the great serialized dramas have, not always easy to define. I just don't think True Blood has it. Time will tell if Boardwalk Empire has it. I mentioned Homeland, which I won't miss,but I don't consider it in the greats.

Maybe I'm picky. I used to love Aaron Sorkin's stuff, but his pretentiousness and self-congratulation just finally broke with me and I've stopped caring about Newsroom entirely.

Ph, and we agree: OZ was just, brilliant. In a completely different plane than the other shows we've been tossing around here.

2013-08-22 7:10 PM

User image

Elite

I've watched all of true blood thus far, so I'm not hating on the show. But the soap opera-ness of it just doesn't put it up there among the great series for me. The dialogue has some snappy one liners now and then (usually from Pam) but the constant Sookie-in-trouble trope is just wearisome. The under developed storylines like Jason and the panthers, the missed potential with the authority only being relevant in one season, it just seems like there's no continuity to the universe, and the last episode was a total trainwreck of lazy writing. My wife loves the books, and said they haven't kept close to them in a while.

So that's why I say you can't even compare a show like this to the Wire, or even the Sopranos. I compare it to a Dexter (which also has probably jumped its shark, I'm not up to speed on this season yet), or a Homeland. Those, as you say, grab one's attention, no doubt, and entertain. But there's a certain something that I think the great serialized dramas have, not always easy to define. I just don't think True Blood has it. Time will tell if Boardwalk Empire has it. I mentioned Homeland, which I won't miss,but I don't consider it in the greats.

Maybe I'm picky. I used to love Aaron Sorkin's stuff, but his pretentiousness and self-congratulation just finally broke with me and I've stopped caring about Newsroom entirely.

Ph, and we agree: OZ was just, brilliant. In a completely different plane than the other shows we've been tossing around here.

That's fair.

Ya, I still remember watching the first episode of OZ... ending with the guy lighting the match in the cell.... holy crap! Hooked from then on. And Beecher.... where to start? Great show... but then in the end, it sort of got too much too. But all good things must end.

I'm still out on Newsroom. The dialog is awesome. The speed and flow of it is great. So far I really like the characters. As far as global statements of political ideologies... ehhh. Will is a "conservative". And there is plenty to question... but so far, he could easily be Chris Mathews, because the only thing he attacks are conservatives. Seems sort of disingenuous to make him a "conservative" for street cred when he is used more as a liberal mouth piece... as far as how we look at things today. Not that there is anything wrong if he was a liberal... but just make him one. I would still watch.

2013-08-22 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

That's fair.

Ya, I still remember watching the first episode of OZ... ending with the guy lighting the match in the cell.... holy crap! Hooked from then on. And Beecher.... where to start? Great show... but then in the end, it sort of got too much too. But all good things must end.

I'm still out on Newsroom. The dialog is awesome. The speed and flow of it is great. So far I really like the characters. As far as global statements of political ideologies... ehhh. Will is a "conservative". And there is plenty to question... but so far, he could easily be Chris Mathews, because the only thing he attacks are conservatives. Seems sort of disingenuous to make him a "conservative" for street cred when he is used more as a liberal mouth piece... as far as how we look at things today. Not that there is anything wrong if he was a liberal... but just make him one. I would still watch.

This is why I've abandoned Sorkin. (And I know we're off topic now, but IIRC, you started this thread, so I'm cool with derailing...... I tend liberal politically, especially on social issues. So I loved West Wing. All my like minded friends loved it. We'd vote for Jed Bartlett, but when I'm honest, the sow wasn't as good as we thought. It just spoke what we wished we could have said first, and as clever. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it's word porn for a certain point of view. Everyone talked like they had hours to write their own snappy dialogue. I have the same problem with David Mamet's film work. I loved Glen Gerry Glen Ross, but every time I watch his stuff, I give myself a reminder that this is not the way people talk. It's enjoyable for me as a wanna be faux intellectual, but it's just not real.

For me, all the sortcomings of West Wing are amplified in Newsroom. It's so over-the-top pandering to an audience with a clear political slant. It's one I share, but the device of putting it in the words of a guy from the "other side" is wearing thin, and just too much.

I wish I had lower expectations. I mean, compare any of the shows we're talking about to 95% of television and it's still far better. But I just feel like my patience with the same thing with Sorkin has run out, much as I'd enjoy nodding my head in agreement and congratulating myself for being so clever.

2013-08-22 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
One more thing, and this is the end of my Sorkin basng, I promise.....

What makes a show like Mad Men or Breaking Bad so good, a,ong other things, is the dialogue ringing true. You know the voice of Don Draper vs Pete Campbell. And they aren't just one dimensional characters either, not easily written stereotypes (like everyone but the protagonist on Orange is the new Black.) - my beef with Sorkin is that all his characters speak alike. It's snappy, clever and fun, but it's not like he gives characters much depth or individual voice. That's why I call it word porn.

2013-08-22 11:43 PM

User image

Elite

That's fair.

This is why I've abandoned Sorkin. (And I know we're off topic now, but IIRC, you started this thread, so I'm cool with derailing...... I tend liberal politically, especially on social issues. So I loved West Wing. All my like minded friends loved it. We'd vote for Jed Bartlett, but when I'm honest, the sow wasn't as good as we thought. It just spoke what we wished we could have said first, and as clever. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it's word porn for a certain point of view. Everyone talked like they had hours to write their own snappy dialogue. I have the same problem with David Mamet's film work. I loved Glen Gerry Glen Ross, but every time I watch his stuff, I give myself a reminder that this is not the way people talk. It's enjoyable for me as a wanna be faux intellectual, but it's just not real.

For me, all the sortcomings of West Wing are amplified in Newsroom. It's so over-the-top pandering to an audience with a clear political slant. It's one I share, but the device of putting it in the words of a guy from the "other side" is wearing thin, and just too much.

I wish I had lower expectations. I mean, compare any of the shows we're talking about to 95% of television and it's still far better. But I just feel like my patience with the same thing with Sorkin has run out, much as I'd enjoy nodding my head in agreement and congratulating myself for being so clever.

Dude... we need a little smiley with the two fingers to the eyes thing... you and me both. My wife watches Grey's Anatomy... OMG, who is the heck talks like that? She is like some 300 year old Yoda all wise and worldly with all the perfect things to say. Drives me bananas. Everyone on the show does. Nobody talks like that.

Luckily, I have not OD on Sorkin so I enjoy the show. Actually never knew him until I looked him up from Newsroom.

2013-08-23 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
This thread really took off once people went off topic... hahahaha!

2013-10-28 12:09 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Thanks for the nudge.

Honestly, I had to sort of work through season one.  It's just seemed a little silly.  But got hooked in season two and finished season 3 last night.  I'm officially hooked.

Obviously they like to cast TONS of attractive people, but I'm sort of partial to Jessica Hamby (Deborah Ann Moll).  WOW.  Anyway, only through three season, I wonder if they are going to groom her into something more than a newbie vamp.  I could see them turning her into some arch enemy (but I like her sweet)...

No spoilers!  I ignored most of the other posts so far till I get through them all.

2013-10-29 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I heard this show has been cancelled and won't be back. Anyone else hear this?

2013-10-30 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
2013-10-30 12:17 PM
in reply to: eabeam

User image

Elite

Originally posted by eabeam There will be a 7th, but final season... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/03/true-blood-ending-season-7...

That sucks. I still like watching it.

2013-10-30 3:03 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

What?  No way!  Surely they still have future seasons centered around werechickens, zombies, leprechauns, and unicorns. 

2013-10-30 5:06 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Hook'em

What?  No way!  Surely they still have future seasons centered around werechickens, zombies, leprechauns, and unicorns. 

lol...

I had similar thoughts.  I'm "only" through season 3 and already have some pagan priestess, shape shifters, vamps, werewolves, psychics/fairies, and now a witch.  Not many folklore creatures left...   

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » True Blood season 6 (spoilers) Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

True Blood 25th July spoiler

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 807 Posts: 8

2010-07-26 6:50 PM rtvegas

No True Blood Thread 7-20-10 *possible spoilers**

Started by jford2309
Views: 1048 Posts: 8

2010-07-22 12:10 AM mkarr0110

True Blood 8/5/09 Semi -SPOILERS

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 627 Posts: 3

2009-08-05 3:51 PM Fatdoggy

True Blood - 11/10/08 SPOILERS

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 933 Posts: 9

2008-11-23 4:04 AM GP160

True Blood 10/6/08 Semi -SPOILERS

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1187 Posts: 9

2008-10-08 12:55 PM mdg2003
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 18, 2013
author : eric_kenney
comments : 0
Looking at your past training to figure out the future season.

date : December 22, 2011
author : Mikael67
End of season thoughts and tips
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?

date : February 7, 2008
author : AMSSM
The off season should be just that – a time to rest your body, to rehabilitate injury, and to plan ahead on how to improve performance and prevent injury in the season to come.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : September 19, 2004
author : malvey
The next time you see one of your kids or grandkids, look deep into their eyes and know that they would give anything to have you around for five, ten fifteen, or even twenty more years.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.