General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tubular Glue Tape Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-17 1:40 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Tubular Glue Tape
I just bought a bike from someone that has Zipp 404 tubular wheels (thanks for everyone that helped me figure out that they are in fact tubular). I'm trying to educate myself on the best methods to use in changing the tires, especially on the road. The Tufo glue tape is intriguing because of the ease and cleanliness, but I was wondering if that can used for pre-gluing a spare. Every instructional video I have seen shows putting the tape on the rim, putting the tire on top, and then removing foil and activating the glue. I didn't know if this could be done in reverse for easy spare change on the road. Any advice would be appreciated!

2013-06-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: marcusmcgill

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Tubular Glue Tape

Originally posted by marcusmcgill I just bought a bike from someone that has Zipp 404 tubular wheels (thanks for everyone that helped me figure out that they are in fact tubular). I'm trying to educate myself on the best methods to use in changing the tires, especially on the road. The Tufo glue tape is intriguing because of the ease and cleanliness, but I was wondering if that can used for pre-gluing a spare. Every instructional video I have seen shows putting the tape on the rim, putting the tire on top, and then removing foil and activating the glue. I didn't know if this could be done in reverse for easy spare change on the road. Any advice would be appreciated!

I don't use the tape so I really wouldn't want to hazard a guess.  However what I will say is that if you pre-glue the spare (like I have) that should go on fairly easily and will provide enough hold to "get you home"... I say it that way simply because you could honestly ride it pretty well even w/o the glue but you do run a much higher risk of rolling the tire in turns.

2013-06-20 3:25 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
BTW... if you're gonna run the tubs, then embrace them... use the mastik and skip the tape, it'll make you feel like an old world craftsman! Laughing
2013-06-25 10:51 AM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Expert
I've been on tubulars for a few years, done tape, glue, and tape + glue (for Cyclocross).

I'd pass on tape for Tri's. It is very easy on a clean rim and new tire. It is a mess to clean off when you need to change the tire later. If you need to change the tire during a race forget tape, it will pull apart and leave bits of the foam material on the rim that your replacement tire will go over. Its also slower than a well glued tire.

You can take a used pre glued tire and put in on during a Tri and finish no problems. When you pressure up the tire the glue will activate and hold the tire on. I've changed a tire during an Ironman and Oly distance races. I find changing a tubular faster than an inner tube change when you put your mind to it.

When I put new tires on I stretch the tires for a day or two, put two layers of glue on the rim and two layers on the tire, put the tire on when the glue is dry, inflate and leave overnight before using. I've also used a syringe with warm glue in it to go around the edge of the rim and tire (put the glued tire on, inflate a little bit, roll the edge back put glue down, do this around both side, inflate to full pressure, wait till dry). This is something I'd do for racing Cyclocross or Crits, overkill for Tri's, you are not cornering enough to pull the tires away from the edge.

These days I use tubulars for Track racing because if they flat they don't roll off (I've seen some nasty Track crashes due to rolled front tires with clinchers). Only use them now a little bit for Tri's There are so many good clincher options out there now and it's easier to get race support via a new inner tube than sealing a tubular. I picked up a set of Flo wheels for my wife and will use those for Tri's when we are not both in the same race.

I do find that Tufo Extreme sealant to be the best at fixing a flat in a tubular. I spent a season training on tubulars and would never carry a spare, only sealant and a few CO2s. Fixed every flat I had. Same for races now, I just carry sealant and CO2s. For an IM I'll put an old pre glued tubular in my bike special needs bag just in case I have flatted earlier in the race and worried the sealant might not hold. I've never had any luck with Vittoria sealant or Hutchinson's version.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tubular Glue Tape Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tufo Gluing Tape for Tubulars?

Started by snampro
Views: 1390 Posts: 5

2013-06-04 1:24 PM snampro

Tape or Glue?

Started by rich-racer-uk
Views: 1161 Posts: 5

2010-07-03 4:44 PM rich-racer-uk

Tubs, what to get?? and best way to attach them glue or tape?

Started by funkydbmtb
Views: 1125 Posts: 3

2010-05-08 7:19 PM gsmacleod

Pre-glued spare tubular Q

Started by rollinbones
Views: 1316 Posts: 12

2008-04-24 4:20 PM KathyG

How do I clean glue off my tubular carbon rim ?

Started by Z-dog
Views: 674 Posts: 4

2006-12-21 12:33 PM Z-dog
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : September 6, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 2
It depends on your preference and what's important to you. I'll list some of the beliefs that are out there and comment on a few.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.