General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 48m 30s
Overall Rank = 178/184
Age Group = 40-44male
Age Group Rank = 19/19
Pre-race routine:

got everything ready the night before, simply woke up and ahd some breakfast and headed outside to wait for my ride to make the 10 miles to the start of the race.
Once at the race I set up my transistion and milled about chatting with all the other folks.
Event warmup:

nothing to speak of.
Swim
  • 38m 17s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

After getting to the race ahead of schedule and being all prepared I was talk to other swimmers still on the boat ramp and in a panic realized that everyone there was in the next wave and my wave was just about to take off. Rushed got in the water (no more then belly button deep- for the start) 30 seconds later the gun went off.

The 1st 200meters or so out to the 1st buoy was rough to say the least. I couldn't catch my breath. I had to switch to the breaststroke 100 meters into the race. I knew the elevation was going to affect my breathing but come on this was too much. For the 1st time in a long time doubt hit my thought process and right then I didn't think I was finishing this swim, let alone the race. After what seemed like forever I finally reached the 1st buoy (200meters). I made the turn looked up and saw the next red buoy on the horizon and mumbled something to my self about just relax and swim by the number to the next buoy that all. I did that then repeated 5 more times. By the end I was relaxed breathing right and my swim speed was finally picking up back to normal.

So I had a slower than normal swim but the end result was I felt good coming out of the water and I was ready for the next leg

The 1st 200meters or so out to the 1st bouy was rough to say the least. I couldn't catch my breath. I had to switch to the breast stroke 100 meters into the race. I knew the elevation was going to effect my breathing but come on this was too much. For the 1st time in a long time doubt hit my thought process and right then I didn't think I was finishing this swim, let alone the race.
What would you do differently?:

Alittle warm-up in the wter would have benifited me greatly today.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

uneventfully T1, walked to my bike and double check I didn't forget anything, which I did even after double checking. My sunglasses would have been nice to have on the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 22s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike without any problems and managed a good pace until about mile 8 where the course turned UP. Now the elevation is about 6,000ft higher than where I'm use to riding so it's taking a bit of wind out of my sails but at the hill at mile 8 I felt like I dropped an anchor. I couldn't climb to save my life, I got thru it though. Athe turn around I saw Mike C.(training buddy from AzTriClub- who I reguallyride with so I know his pace) and thought dang I having a bad bike ride he's actually only 1 min. behind me. It took him the next 12 miles to make up that minute but he did catch me. I was that carrot he needed to push harder.

My bike ride overall was a good pace for me and as it turns out a PR for Mike.

Maybe push a bit harder on the hills.
Transition 2
  • 03m 26s
Comments:

nothing really interesting to mention about my transition but Mike's(mentioned above) was pretty funny as he got in a bike mishap on the beginning of the bike leg and riped his shorts so he was trying hard not to expose himself to the world as he ran to the port-a potty to change into his running shorts.
Run
  • 1h 39m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 15m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

All I can saw about my run is one day, maybe, I'll be able to actually run a whole race. I could never get my engine moving today. My legs felt tired, I couldn't catch my breath and my HR monitor was screaming at me (so I turned it off) I much earlier than normal switch to a run/ walk thing but when it came to the steep hill I pretty much just walked up it.

I actually got a lot of advise on how to run better (so I'll have see how that advise plays out next race.

One other point of interest. another training buddy Commodore ahd some serious pain going on with a hurt leg and still managed to beat me on the run. This clysdale just isn't built for running.

just keep working on my running.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out and shot the breeze with other racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

running again.

Event comments:

I'd rate this course hard due to it's 7,000ft elevation and hills on the bike and the one steep dang hill on the run. Overall a good race to do. I'd recommend it to do at least once. Of course I'm going to have to do it next year to see how I improved.

Last updated: 2006-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:17 | 1640 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/184
Performance: Below average
Suit: Ironman Stealth
Course: Out to the bouy's in Lake Mary and then a straight line until the last one, turn to the boat ramp and out
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:22 | 24.85 miles | 17.67 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back course along Lake Mary Road. The last 1/2 before the turn around had some killer hills but mainly rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:39:09 | 06.21 miles | 15m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 1.5 miles of rolling flats, 1.6 miles of straight freaking UP, then reverse it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-07-17 8:19 PM
in reply to: #485099

User image

Arizona
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice race John. Thanks for sharing your race report. Good thing you were in front of your buddy during the ride so you would not be blinded
2006-07-17 11:02 PM

User image

Mesa
Good job John! It was a very tough one. I am still amazed at how well I swam. Not knowing your/our wave was starting sure did not help you either. I really do enjoy racing with you and the rest of the guys! I found a couple of pics in the lost and found to... see attached.

(swimstart.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
swimstart.jpg (47KB - 48 downloads)
2006-07-17 11:03 PM

User image

Mesa
And another pic...

(john.jpg)

(preracepic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
john.jpg (92KB - 43 downloads)
preracepic.jpg (87KB - 51 downloads)
2006-07-18 12:35 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Sounds like it was a fun but tough race!  Last time I was at that elevation, it felt like someone was sitting on my chest - I couldn't breath. 

Good job regrouping on the swim (after screwing off before the race!!).

You and me both need to get all skinny so we can motor up and down those hills!!!!!!

2006-07-18 12:01 PM
in reply to: #485722

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
dhyte - 2006-07-17 10:35 PM

p>You and me both need to get all skinny so we can motor up and down those hills!!!!!!

I hear that, and Andy posting that flattering photo of me coming out the water is just another reminder I need to work a bit harder on weight reduction.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed