Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 13s
Overall Rank = 49/150
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/14
Pre-race routine:

Packed my bag, ate breakfast, got gas (for the car) and headed to Toronto
Event warmup:

Rode my bike to the race site. Set up TA and watched the triahtlon finishers come in. Also attended the pre-race information session held for beginners.
Swim
  • 11m 5s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a time trial start from the beach into rocky water. I was not sure what to expect from this type of start, and I did not enjoy it. I kinda like having to swim over people and fighting to get in front. It's a good adrenalin rush to get things going and I didn't have that working for me. I was not hyped up and I had to muster that up throughout the swim in order to motivate myself. My goggles also came off when I initially dove into the water. I had trouble sighting through out the race and it wasn't until rounding the second bouy and heading towards home until I got a nice fast pace going and settled into the swim...and then it was over. Overall I am not super pleased with this swim.
What would you do differently?:

WARM UP in the water. Silly, silly me. I should have gotten into the water to get my body used to the water temperature. I didn't take into account that the water temperature would affect my body. Things went into a little bit of shock because of the difference in water and air temperatures. Yet another lesson learnt.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

dirty feet, no vomit this time :)

nothing, went pretty smoothly even with the guy beside me swearing because his number ripped.
Bike
  • 32m 5s
  • 13 kms
  • 24.31 km/hr
Comments:

bike was ok, I enjoyed myself. Probably could have pushed a bit harder.

train more
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Loooonnnnnggggg run from transition to the bike course and back. Very tiring, but I kept pace with the guy who got off just in front of me. Transition went smoothly.

nothing, it was good.
Run
  • 15m 39s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 06m 16s  min/km
Comments:

ok run, had fun (what?? did I just type that??) yes, it was somewhat enjoyable. One guy came up behind me and ran with me for a few seconds and chatted it up. That helped to take my mind of the run for a few seconds. In general this was a very supportive and encouraging group to race with. Lots of talk and encouragement on the race course. Just before the finish as I was trying to determine how much gas I had left in the tank, there was a mother telling her daughter, who was just behind me, to "sprint, if you have anything left, use it now. Sprint!!" So I took that to heart and considered it for myself. Then I heard "Pass that lady in front of you" Aha.. she was talking about me!! What was I to do? I knew I did not want to just take it easy and let her pass me, but was should I lead a sprint and try to beat this kid, hold off till I actually saw her and then decided? At this point my time was up.. out of nowhere along came another competitor who must have heard this mom was well. He ran up beside me, turned to me and said "You ready to do this?" to which I responded ok.. and we were off.. sprinting to the finish. Needless to say, he beat me, and I beat the youger girl. Nice way to finish off the race.

train more
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had some water, tried not to vomit. Ate some pizza and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training

Event comments:

Good food, and lots of it! I won a fuel belt as a draw prize. Very excited about that.. I was thinking about buying one, and had even priced a few. No need now :) No pictures to accompany this race report as I was on my own. My usual cheering squad was not able to make it. First place in my age group went to someone with a time of 1:01:53, so I was pretty close to her. They gave medals and finishers awards to the top 5 in the 10 year age groups (20-29) and I came in 6th, so I just mised out on that. Maybe next time. Also got to meet fellow BTer Caius. Fun day!

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:05 | 400 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/14
Overall: 19/150
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: left turning triangle course around bouys
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69C / 156F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:32:05 | 13 kms | 24.31 km/hr
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 67/150
Wind: Some
Course: flat, and technical with lots of corners and railroad crossings.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:15:39 | 02.5 kms | 06m 16s  min/km
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 0/150
Course: pretty flat, very very sunny.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-17 2:54 PM

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: Toronto Waterfront Triathlon

2006-07-20 12:43 PM
in reply to: #485170

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Subject: RE: Toronto Waterfront Triathlon

Great Job Elly!

You Rocked it!  Keep up the great work.

Dan

2006-07-22 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

This is a great race elly. The try a tri's are so much fun. I still like doing them once in a while. I'm sure you'll podium next time..

2006-07-22 8:47 PM

User image

Nice job! And you *gasp* had fun?! Now that makes it all worth it, didn't it?
2006-07-23 9:05 PM

Master
Well at least it was ok to swim in.
2006-07-24 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Water temp was a bit cool, do you wear a wetsuit? sounds like it was a bit of a struggle but you pulled through, mind over body is a big piece of this, way to go. What did you think of the venue would you do it again?

2006-07-24 9:58 AM
in reply to: #490906

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
thanks for the support guys.   To answer some of the questions.. no I did not wear a wet suit.  I don't own one and the distance is such that I didn't think it was necessary.  Most went without.  The water temp was chilly, but not unbearable.   I think I really really would have benefitted from swim warm up just to get my body used to the water temp.  The venue was ok.  Obviously you are taking a risk be entring this race as the beaches tend to be closed due to high E.coli counts.  We got lucky this year and were able to swim, but it was left right to the last day before we knew for sure.  The bike was ok, some rough patches on the roads, but not too bad.  They closed off a lane for the tri and there were police officers directing traffic at the intersections.  Safety was not an issue.  The run was nice as well.  It was on a paved path.  The only criticism I have is that the run route and the area from transition to the bike and back is a commonly used path.  There were times when the path was practically blocked with people who were just out for a casual walk/run and had no idea that there was a race going on.  It got a little congested.  This is not the best race I have been to, but they were able to meet all the requirements of hosting a triathlon.  I would do it again.  Hope that helps.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed