Scottsdale, Arizona
United States
95F / 35C
Total Time = 18m 46s
Overall Rank = 2/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

8:30pm start. Probably not the best pre race nutrition (I always fail a these evening events) as I went out for sushi for lunch and followed that with ice cream. Few hours later hopped in the car and drove the 5 miles to the Sports CAP Basin for the race.
Event warmup:

3 mile warm up with a few runs up to race pace.
Run
  • 18m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't expect to put up a PR on this race knowing that it was going to be hot with an evening start and having run this course hundreds of times it's just not a fast 5k course at all. The two loop format which means you have to climb out of the basin twice just makes for a slow, hard 5k; give me flat any day.

Being a small event I knew I had a chance at a podium if not an OA win so I made my way to the front of the start line and challenged the lead right away. Lining up I spotted a few people that I thought looked like they could be contenders but within the first mile only one of the three was still there and shortly after a mile he pulled around me. I let him go thinking perhaps he would blow up later on but it wasn't to be.

This is the point I struggled. The leader was a good 20 seconds in front of me but third place was so far back I knew I had second wrapped up and because of that, I didn't leave it all out there. I was a bit fried from training and my asthma was bothering me a bit with the heat so I just picked a pace that felt semi ok and went with it. Also, being a small event there was no support on the course other than the start/finish so I was pretty much running alone the entire way. No big deal but it showed me how much I like having a cheering section to keep me motivated.

Hit the first loop map at something like 8:45 which shows how much I backed off on the second lap. Climbing out of the basin on my second lap just torched me and it took a half mile to recover from that effort. Started closing in on the leader a bit in the last half mile but he was too far in front to have any chance of catching him and really, I think he was just on cruise control.
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot, maybe treated meals through the day a little better. Probably should have started a little bit slower but I thought I might be able to blow up the others by really pushing it off the gun. For being in a bike/swim focus and really just laying back on my run training I'm happy with my result on this course. On a flat course it's a sub 18 effort any day.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around for a bit, grabbed some water and stretched. Hung out until awards and claimed my $50 gift cert for the local running store.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Middle of training build, asthma

Event comments:

for a local, $15 5K race this one rocked. This is what running races are about, no medals (even though they gave out shirts), organized, fun.

Last updated: 2013-06-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:46 | 03.1 miles | 05m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 2/
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop course through the CAP basin soccer complex. course starts in the stadium fields, climbs out of the basin, loops around and drops back into the basin. Not a lot of climbing but enough coming out of the basin to make it hurt.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-23 1:02 AM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Racin at the Basin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Racin at the Basin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PCTR Big Basin 50K

Started by awol
Views: 1242 Posts: 5

2006-08-23 9:59 PM Whizzzzz

Moonlight Basin Off-Road Triathlon (Xterra Pts.)

Started by fireandsnowman
Views: 1148 Posts: 1

2006-07-24 1:46 PM fireandsnowman