General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
United States
RAM Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 20s
Overall Rank = 273/551
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 18/42
Pre-race routine:

Dogs woke me up at 3:30 so I just decided to get out of bed. Took some time in the kitchen to have granola and check the radar. Started drinking water as it was expected to be hot and humid. The car was packed so left around 4:15 for the quick ride up the Lake Geneva. Arrived at the park right before 5 and got a good parking spot. Set up transition, had more water, a gel and chatted up my rack mates. Pretty soon, they closed transition so I casually walked over to the lake. Wave 15 start so a lot of standing around.
Event warmup:

None. I should have swam a bit, just to have something to do. I always feel I do not need to warm up and this was no different.
Swim
  • 30m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt good and my wave did not seem as larger as previous waves. Got into good clean water right after the first turn buoy. Felt strong but my sighting was not the best. It's hard with the dog leg as they warn you stay along the buoy line and not cut. I was kind of in the middle of the two points. At the turnaround, swallowed some water and either the chop was up or the number of swimmers was really concentrated. Seemed like a long time back to the finish. I was shooting for 27:xx (last year was 28:37) but I came in around 29:30 based on my Garmin. They moved the timing mat this year to be closer to T1 so that why my official swim time was almost 31 minutes,
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Last week I smoked a sprint OWS. Better sighting might have helped here. Should have tried to cut more of the dog leg like others.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Wet suit was stuck on the timing chip. Once off, I made sure to drink water and a bit of Infinite before leaving. Ran to bike out and got started.

Figure out how to get that suit over the chip. Last week, no problem.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 20s
  • 23.61 miles
  • 18.83 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, this is where it gets ugly. I had high hopes for this bike, but we immediately ran into a headwind coming from the south. The first 10 miles or so all head south or west. I tried to make sure I kept my cadence up even if it meant switching to an easier gear. I began mentally calculating how much I could conserve before we caught the tailwind in. It was getting hot and I was drinking water from my A2. My Infinite was on my seat post, and as I reached down to get it, I lost concentration/side wind caught me and I left the road for a narrow gravel shoulder. Over corrected and crashed onto my left side. Smacked my head pretty good, nasty scrape on my shoulder and knee plus I banged my right knee on the bike hard. Several people stopped to see if I was alright, including one of my tri teamates. I was OK, slightly out of sorts and more than a bit embarressed. After a quick check to make sure no broken bones or a concussion, I told everyone to get going and I was fine. Took me a bit to gather myself, but was soon riding again. Bike seemed OK but I was very conservative for a few miles. Once we picked up the tailwind, I started pushing again. Had no idea of my pace at that time because my Garmin hit lap when I fell. I just stopped the watch and concentrated on not falling again. Soon was at the downhill into the park. Several volunteers asked if I was OK since I had a nice raw bleeding shoulder.

Um, not crash? That has never happended before. I had my aero wheel and disc cover but am used to them and the wind. Just a lack on concentration. Last year I did this bike in 1:10:xx so I was not unhappy with the time this year. Without the crash, I probably was right around the same time, which would have been good considering the wind.
Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Gathered myself, splashed some water on my wound and got moving. Switched my Garmin to running mode for my run. Felt fine but it was really hot and humid now. Grabbed some water on the way out.

The crash had me shaken a bit but I was determined to complete the race. I felt OK and didn't seem otherwise affected. Turns out not to be true.
Run
  • 1h 06m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The past 2 days of rain left the course slippery and muddy. Started off well and then the heat started to get to me. Had gels with me so I took some before the first water station. Started to not feel well from the heat and then my right knee really started to hurt. By mile 4, I was basically walking or "running" while dragging my right leg. Just resigned myself to finish the race and forget about any goals I had. Crossed the finish line and had several people, including teamates asking if I was OK. Felt fine but headed to the medical tenet.

I do not think I should have quit after the bike, but this run really probably exacerbated my right knee injury. I also need more trail time as I am not comfortable running around rocks and stumps.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, posed for a picture of my bloody shoulder and headed to medical. Got in and seated. They saw I was not in any distress, so after taking my name, they cleaned and bandaged my shoulder. I was eating my banana and bagel and felt well otherwise. They had the doctor look at my knee and I bruised my bursa sac. Shrink wrapped a bag of ice around the knee and I was good to go. Looked like an idiot walking back to transition with all the bandages. Called my wife to tell her I was OK.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The crash. That was just poor cycling on my part and have no one to blame. The heat affected my run more than I thought it would.

Event comments:

I even skipped the beer tent this year. Wanted to get my crap packed up and retrun home to better assess my injuries. More ice, some Advil and vodka.

Last updated: 2013-01-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:59 | 1640 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/551
Performance: Average
Suit: Vortex 3 full
Course: Out and back along the shore with a slight dog leg left.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:20 | 23.61 miles | 18.83 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out on rural roads southwest of the park. One stretch that was really rough (was last year too).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:06:02 | 06.21 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops through Bigfoot park. This is mostly a trail run with surfaces ranging from park roads to grassy fields to mulch to mud.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-25 7:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Big Foot Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by Mattychi
Views: 710 Posts: 1

2012-07-24 4:33 PM Mattychi

Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by quincyf
Views: 1128 Posts: 3

2012-06-26 10:12 PM oriolepwr

Started by tbcoffee
Views: 1080 Posts: 5

2012-06-26 8:14 PM tbcoffee

Started by MUL98
Views: 918 Posts: 2

2012-06-26 5:55 AM tbcoffee

Big Foot Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by baurryman
Views: 1160 Posts: 4

2012-06-25 8:56 AM MUL98
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : January 3, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
All-around body strengthening and conditioning, in short, will make the athlete stronger from head to toe to push bigger gears and to apply more power in your swim stroke.
date : July 30, 2006
author : AMSSM
I started riding this spring with the Carnac shoes on Look pedals (with plenty of float). About five minutes into a ride I get sharp pain on the outer edge of my feet, just behind the pedal.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I’m a 240lb man, and I run relatively long distances. How would you recommend training for marathon and IM distances as heavy as I am?