General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dewey or Bethany Sprint Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 11:52 AM

User image

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Subject: Dewey or Bethany Sprint Tri?
Is one better than other? They are only a week apart this September and fairly similar.

Also, are there any ocean group swims in the Fenwick area?

Thanks,

Bob

2013-06-27 8:53 PM
in reply to: dillrob

Subject: RE: Dewey or Bethany Sprint Tri?
I did not know there were these two but I am just starting to do more cardio and get into running/biking so I won't be ready for either. Maybe I will come and check it out though.
2013-06-28 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by dillrob

Is one better than other? They are only a week apart this September and fairly similar.

Also, are there any ocean group swims in the Fenwick area?

Thanks,

Bob

I can't speak to what the Bethany race is like. I've done Dewey twice. I love it. It sells out, it's a large field, the 16Mile brewery beer wagon at the end is quite welcome, the food tent is great. The run course through town isn't exactly scenic, but people are out watching the race. The event has been around a while. It's worth an overnight trip for us to come down from PA. We stay at the very south end of Dewey (Sea Esta III) and ride/walk to race site.

Bethany tri may be just as awesome, i just highly recommend Dewey. It is a pricey sprint, I will say. But what isn't pricey around Rehoboth?

2013-06-30 7:46 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Thanks for the information and thoughts on Dewey. I think my decision will now be based on schedule. Thanks. Bob
2013-07-12 11:20 AM

New user
Delaware
Dewey is a great race. Plenty of rrom for parking and transition. Last year was Bethany's 1st year and it rec'd good reviews.

If you are looking for an ocean swim. A bunch of us swim in Rehoboth on Fridays at 6. Everyone is welcome. We meet at Queen St. at the south end of the boardwalk and swim to the north end. (1 mile). It is kayak supported.
2013-07-17 6:30 AM
in reply to: efari71

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by efari71

Dewey is a great race. Plenty of rrom for parking and transition. Last year was Bethany's 1st year and it rec'd good reviews.

If you are looking for an ocean swim. A bunch of us swim in Rehoboth on Fridays at 6. Everyone is welcome. We meet at Queen St. at the south end of the boardwalk and swim to the north end. (1 mile). It is kayak supported.

I feel stupid for asking, but is that 6am or 6pm? I hope to join you the weekend of the Dewey tri.

2013-08-02 12:25 PM

New user
Delaware
2013-08-07 3:57 PM
in reply to: efari71

User image

I decided on the Bethany Tri. since the later date works a little better.

I am hoping to be available and volunteer at Dewey though. If I'm there I'll keep an eye out for you and introduce myself.

Also, did my second triathlon last week in ocean city md. It was a very casual, low key event primarily for the beach patrol staff. Really nice event. It had a half mile ocean swim which was quite an eye opener for me. It was my first time swimming in the ocean and I didn't appreciate how different ocean swimming really is. Allot harder than I thought it would be. It was a little rough and sighting was really hard for me. I would definately like to join the Rehoboth swim group but I'm not sure if I can get up there at that time. Still going to try though since some more ocean swimming will really be helpful.
2013-08-26 3:48 PM

New user

FWIW, I did the Bethany Tri last year and it was a great event and I'm doing it again this year. My grandfather has a house in South Bethany and I used to work at Sea Colony, so I had done the Make-a-Wish triathlon at Sea Colony several times. I was very dissapointed when they announced they were moving the Make-a-Wish tri from Sea Colony, but the First Responders Bethany tri is a great "replacement". It was a very well run and supported event and I have no reason to believe it won't be again this year.

If you have any specific questions about it, please feel free to ask. Good luck with the training! The ocean swims can be quite unpredictable. Last year there was a pretty good current that helped, but it was little rough for some.
2013-08-29 12:22 PM
in reply to: phillyracer

User image

Regular
I've done both (Lewis was my first Tri ever). If a choice I'd do Bethany if looking for a more "fun" atmosphere as has a lot of related activities pre/post race and you finish along a crowd lined boardwalk which is cool. Lodging for Lewis is be a bit easier as is off Rte 1/13 and is more a purist race as is at a state park. I'm doing Bethany again this year so see you there!
2013-08-29 1:41 PM
in reply to: dsm90awd

User image

@phillyracer - no questions at the moment but I'll post or PM you if need be.
@dsm90awd - already signed up and looking forward to it.

Good luck with the prep and training and look forward to seeing you guys there. We can send out our bib numbers once we get them so we can find each other before the start.

2013-09-15 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
So how was everyone's race? I am sure we all had pr's on the swim, but even with the solid current assist and low chop, just the regular movement of the ocean was still enough to make me all sorts of queasy. I really need to get some experience in the ocean. I took a long time in T2, and nearly as long just walking from the beach to the transition area. The bike wind on the way back north was brutal. Met fellow bt'er stilgarnaib (Chris). This race seems to always start late, which seems to fit the laid back beach community, but I do have to check ut my motel and I like ot shower after a race. We stay a mile away, so I get it done.
2013-09-15 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Andrew, great meeting you man. And agreed. That wind was brutal. Definitely was not a fan of it. But I am a fan of this race and will probably do this again next year!
2013-09-19 7:46 AM

User image

Hey phillyracer, dsm90awd and any other BTers at the race.

I'm BIB #411 in the M44-49 category.

Feel free to say hi if you see me on Sunday.

Have a safe, fast and fun Tri Sunday.
2013-09-23 8:48 AM

User image

Pretty good event yesterday. Can't speak for Dewey's tri, but Bethany was really good. The rain stopped just in time and the weather was nearly perfect - the wind was blowing a little. The post race food was awesome. Hope you guys had a good event.
2013-09-23 12:14 PM

New user

I was bib #313. We went off in the same wave....I'm male 35-39. I didn't get a chance to check BT prior to race morning since we don't have internet access at the house we were staying. Too bad we didn't get a cahnce to catch up.

Agreed the race was great! Weather turned out to be perfect for racing........although it was sweet releif to turn around on the bike and have the tail wind coming home! I'll definately be doing this one again next year.

2013-09-24 12:26 PM
in reply to: phillyracer

User image

I heard someone from Phoenixville get called to the podium and it turns out to be you.

Congratulations, you had an awesome race.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dewey or Bethany Sprint Tri? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OWS in Bethany Beach Area

Started by sthoresen
Views: 1284 Posts: 5

2012-09-02 8:02 PM oceania1289

Dewey Beach Sprint Triathlon 2012

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 3127 Posts: 13

2012-09-16 7:47 AM TheClaaaw

Dewey Beach SOLD OUT

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 1974 Posts: 4

2011-09-13 7:31 PM dmbfan4life20

Sea Colony triathlon - Bethany Beach, DE

Started by wyecrab
Views: 4696 Posts: 3

2007-02-04 8:43 AM markg72

Dewey Beach, DE

Started by wyecrab
Views: 2291 Posts: 2

2005-09-14 2:20 PM MikeJackson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Tri Benbrook Sprint 2006 provided by JeepFleeb
date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Should I have time goals for the first sprint? Should I just finish the race at a reasonable pace? I'm not sure how to approach this.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.