General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Shingles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-30 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Subject: Training with Shingles
Just wondering if anyone has any experience in training with shingles. I'm just over a week in and have been taking meds as prescribed with two days left. As things stand now, I have a some red spots, with just a little itching and some pain which is tolerable with Advil. During the past week I have done absolutely nothing in order to let my body recover. With IMKY only a couple months away, I'm getting a little concerned and obviously very restless. Any thoughts, advice, or experiences??

2013-06-30 9:44 AM
in reply to: Jeepguy2358

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Training with Shingles
Ya, two seasons ago I got a pretty bad case of Shingles. I did not get much in the way of skin issues, mine was centered just above and behind my right ear. Got a ton of neuralgia (nerve pain) throughout my whole body, could not see in my right eye, could not hear in my right ear, whole body was hyper sensitive...

I had to quit working out. Took 6 months off training and it was that long before I could start working out again and kinda feel normal. It was an other 3 to 6 months before it was mostly gone. I now get really bad nerve pain with things like the flu and arthritis has started to set in. Ended up in the ER a couple times during it, even got a spinal tap (fear of meningitis) due to a blinding headache once.

When I came back to training, I ramped up in 5 weeks to race Lk Stevens 70.3 Finished in a little bit over 5 hours which was about 10 mins off my fastest time there (the bike course changed and it was raining that day too), I placed in my AG around the same as I usually do.

Yours sounds more along the skin issues which is good. Your body is still putting up a killer fight to knock it down which can wipe you out. I'd really take it easy and start to come back slowly as you feel better. I focused hard on my diet during my Shingles experience to not gain much weight.

Opiate pain killers knocked the edge off is all. I tried a host of meds to ease the neuralgia and the only thing that kinda worked is LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) which means you can not take opiates.
2013-06-30 10:47 AM
in reply to: magic

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I don't know anything about training with shingles.

I have watched several older family member suffer from this virus. I've heard that 1/3 of people in the US will end up with shingles at some point, and it can be incredibly painful. There is a vaccine on the market that will prevent shingles outbreaks for most people It's pretty cheap, especially when compared to the agony that an outbreak can cause. Personally, I think the vaccine is a great birthday or Christmas gift for family members, especially older family members, who might not get the vaccine on their own.
2013-06-30 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I was hit with shingles 3 months out from Eagleman.
It was the second worse pain I have ever had.
Skin and nerve issues lasted at least a month.
I was forced to take at least a month off.
All my lymph nodes on the one side were swollen beyond belief.
Swim was impossible. Bike was ok. Running was difficult at best.

Shingles is just something that your body has to work through. If you rush, more pain.
Just do as the doc says, take your meds, do not pop the blisters. Stay away from kids.

When I was able to start real training again. It was like a breath of fresh air.
Your muscle memory will kick in after a few workouts. You should be ok.
2013-06-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: louamerica

New user
Key West
I had it when I was 25 years old and it was, like others have said, the worse pain, or close to that I have ever had. I had horrendous trunk pain and headache like it was going to explode. This was in the dark ages though before they had any real treatment. However, I know I got mine because I was pushing myself too hard in all parts of my life. Sooooo, I would strongly recommend that you consider just letting your body heal and waiting until Doc says it is OK to restart. The last thing you want is a relapse. That said, I don't know much about how the current drugs change the equation. Good luck.
2013-06-30 3:46 PM
in reply to: topolina

User image

I had a case a few months ago at 38 on my side. I went to the doctor when I was already with a week of singles which means I wasn't able to take the meds. The meds have to be taken within the first signs of shingles. I get rashes easily so I just thought it was rash that hurt. Its been 3 months and I can still see the red areas on my skin where I had the blisters. I was told it take a really long time for that to clear up.

Even though it hurt a ton and the patches were just annoying to deal with, I didn't feel that my case interrupted my training. I don't know how the meds have effected you, but if you are cleared by your doctor then I would train as long as you feel its possible.

2013-06-30 4:25 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Veteran
North Bend, WA

I got shingles last October.  Painful....I had paid for a cycling camp 3 weeks after having shingles.  I told my doc I wasn't cancelling!  She did roll her eyes at me - but didn't tell me no.  I took the meds and was doing much better.  I think I had a lighter case than what some have described.

I was fine in camp.  I rode 7 days in a row and was pushing pretty good since I was pretty much always in the back of the pack!  Once I got back I thought I relapsed..but alas, I got poison ivy while in CA! 

Personally, I think it's up to you and how you feel.  Pay attention to your HR and fatigue....listen to your body.  If you are feeling good...go for it.

Good luck.....and take care of yourself.

2013-06-30 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Thanks for the advice as well as personal experiences. I think (hope)I have lighter version than I have read about. Rash showed up two days after diagnosis and beginning meds. Did a short, easy ride today to see how I felt and was completely fine. I'm going for a slow, easy run tomorrow to gauge again. Going forward, for the next few weeks, I think I will increase my mileage but stay away from the intense workouts. Lville might not be my best race, but at least I should be trained enough to finish respectably.
2013-06-30 9:06 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I had a case last summer, it started with a sharp pain in my hip, I thought I had over did it running, but my annual physical was the solution. I had just turned 34, my friends mocked me asking if I was secretly 80 and such. but It was painful, and we had our second kid a week before, so it was that little bundle of stress that contributed to it. I was running slowly a few days later, I just had to keep to flat terrain and not over do it.
2013-09-24 12:18 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jeepguy2358

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in training with shingles. I'm just over a week in and have been taking meds as prescribed with two days left. As things stand now, I have a some red spots, with just a little itching and some pain which is tolerable with Advil. During the past week I have done absolutely nothing in order to let my body recover. With IMKY only a couple months away, I'm getting a little concerned and obviously very restless. Any thoughts, advice, or experiences??

Just got diagnosed with outbreak of shingles an hour ago! Saw this thread. How did the race turn out for you? Was shingles a factor in your next few months' training and the race? I hope you are well and feeling better.

I could use some input myself. Hoping to benefit from your (and anyone else's) wisdom.

My story: I Went for about a mile saltwater OWS (the first 1/2 mile was strenuous against the current) on Sunday. Just sore when got home, particularly the right bicep (I breathe to the right). Ran that night and went to sleep with heating pad on bicep and no shower (I know, disgusting, but I was getting up the next AM to swim and did not want another shower). Swam next morning (and showered!). Got home from work and when took off shirt, noticed this several inch, oblong, red patch of skin with hive-like bumps on my right-side lat (on my back). Put on hydrocortisone. Thought maybe the heating pad scratched it and the bacteria from not showering might have caused an infection. Then, remembered having been scraped by some seaweed or some floating thing during the swim. Worried about a staph infection. Applied antibiotic ointment. Also, there were some little tingles on my back during the swim so I thought maybe sea lice or jelly fish larvae stings. No better this morning. So, to be proactive and cautious, I go to the derm today and she says shingles. Luckilly the kiddos have had their chickenpox vaccines and wife has had chickenpox. It's in the VERY early stage and am starting antiviral meds this afternoon. No blisters yet, so presumably not communicable yet (according to the CDC website).

I'm really in disbelief. Training for my 2nd sprint on October 20. First was on September 1. Took a day off and got back to training right away. Been raring to go. This and next week were supposed to be my peak weaks and then 2 weeks taper. Doctor says rest. What's that? I get 5.5 - 7 hours of sleep a night. Am working out 1-2 times a day, 5-6 days a week. Feel in good shape but want to conquer the ocean swim (my first). Really want to compete in the sprint, but not sure what to expect re: shingles over the next 4 weeks. I'm 42, and I've read that the pain syndromes are less common under 60. It's still early, and maybe if I sacrafice my workouts this week, hit the meds, and sleep more, I can minimize the impact, prevent it's spread, and get back to training in a week, then taper, then race. Any advice or thoughts?
2013-09-24 2:22 PM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Expert
Originally posted by PsyTri

Originally posted by Jeepguy2358

Just got diagnosed with outbreak of shingles an hour ago! Saw this thread. How did the race turn out for you? Was shingles a factor in your next few months' training and the race? I hope you are well and feeling better.

I could use some input myself. Hoping to benefit from your (and anyone else's) wisdom.

My story: I Went for about a mile saltwater OWS (the first 1/2 mile was strenuous against the current) on Sunday. Just sore when got home, particularly the right bicep (I breathe to the right). Ran that night and went to sleep with heating pad on bicep and no shower (I know, disgusting, but I was getting up the next AM to swim and did not want another shower). Swam next morning (and showered!). Got home from work and when took off shirt, noticed this several inch, oblong, red patch of skin with hive-like bumps on my right-side lat (on my back). Put on hydrocortisone. Thought maybe the heating pad scratched it and the bacteria from not showering might have caused an infection. Then, remembered having been scraped by some seaweed or some floating thing during the swim. Worried about a staph infection. Applied antibiotic ointment. Also, there were some little tingles on my back during the swim so I thought maybe sea lice or jelly fish larvae stings. No better this morning. So, to be proactive and cautious, I go to the derm today and she says shingles. Luckilly the kiddos have had their chickenpox vaccines and wife has had chickenpox. It's in the VERY early stage and am starting antiviral meds this afternoon. No blisters yet, so presumably not communicable yet (according to the CDC website).

I'm really in disbelief. Training for my 2nd sprint on October 20. First was on September 1. Took a day off and got back to training right away. Been raring to go. This and next week were supposed to be my peak weaks and then 2 weeks taper. Doctor says rest. What's that? I get 5.5 - 7 hours of sleep a night. Am working out 1-2 times a day, 5-6 days a week. Feel in good shape but want to conquer the ocean swim (my first). Really want to compete in the sprint, but not sure what to expect re: shingles over the next 4 weeks. I'm 42, and I've read that the pain syndromes are less common under 60. It's still early, and maybe if I sacrafice my workouts this week, hit the meds, and sleep more, I can minimize the impact, prevent it's spread, and get back to training in a week, then taper, then race. Any advice or thoughts?

Your case does not sound too bad. You do need to be careful about neuralgia and fatigue. I'm sure all of the Docs will tell you take it easy till you are healed. In my case I only got a little skin liaisons on my scalp, but I got massive neuralgia on the right side of my head. I could not see or hear on that side, had debilitating headaches, a spinal tap to check for meningitis, on and off all sorts of meds... I took my self off the meds and healed up without. Took me about 6 months to get better and 9 months to start racing again. I am still hyper sensitive to virus infections, just getting a mild flu cases really bad joint pain for me now.

2013-09-24 3:21 PM
in reply to: magic

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
I had the exact same progression with early diagnosis and antiviral meds (acyclovir). Got the diagnosis on Monday with A race Oly the following Saturday. Was able to get the taper week done and had a great race. Looks like shingles can cover quite a spectrum in terms of how it affects people so ultimately you'll have to make the call. I'm now 2 weeks post diagnosis, blisters are gone and I'm dealing with the neurological pain, hoping it doesn't last too long. Be optimistic!
2013-09-24 9:00 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

My case took about 6 weeks plus to fully resolve. I had it on right chest (wrapped around to back). The pain was first, and intense (if it had been left side, I would have thought it was a heart attack). The lesions came 7-10 days later, when I realized that is what it was, and went to the doctor. Training made the pain bearable; a 7 mile run was great therapy. The pain was worst when I was trying to get to sleep at night. My doctor encouraged me to train, since it was what helped me the most - even better than pain medication.. I think that shingles "above the neck" have it worst in every way. I have heard that some have got it in their eyes, and it can cause partial blindness and permanent damage. I think as many as 1 in 4 that have had chicken pox will get shingles at some point. I was age 49 at the time I went through it.
2013-09-25 7:09 AM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Originally posted by jbrookscga78

My case took about 6 weeks plus to fully resolve. I had it on right chest (wrapped around to back). The pain was first, and intense (if it had been left side, I would have thought it was a heart attack). The lesions came 7-10 days later, when I realized that is what it was, and went to the doctor. Training made the pain bearable; a 7 mile run was great therapy. The pain was worst when I was trying to get to sleep at night. My doctor encouraged me to train, since it was what helped me the most - even better than pain medication.. I think that shingles "above the neck" have it worst in every way. I have heard that some have got it in their eyes, and it can cause partial blindness and permanent damage. I think as many as 1 in 4 that have had chicken pox will get shingles at some point. I was age 49 at the time I went through it.

I'm only on day 2 of knowing I have it. Feel fine physically aside from some itching. I know it can and probably will get more uncomfortable. Mentally, though, I'm confused. All doc said was to rest, take meds, and take it easy. Skipped swim this AM and can rationalize tha since had extra long swim added into schedule Sunday. When I start missing more sessions, I'm going to hate it. Sounds like training has helped some folks. Not sure what approach to take. Only 1 of 100 will get it a 2nd time.  Only 10-15% will have post shingles pain syndrome, but if under age 60, risk of the pain syndrome is less than 2%.  Treatment within 3 days of rash appearing reduces risk of pain syndrome further.  Train but at less intensity for the next couple weeks until sores heal? Ignore it and train like I would otherwise. Cut out the pool swims only until I'm no longer contagious?I know I can still race on Oct 20, but want to peak for the race not just make it there. Thoughts?
2013-09-25 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by jbrookscga78 My case took about 6 weeks plus to fully resolve. I had it on right chest (wrapped around to back). The pain was first, and intense (if it had been left side, I would have thought it was a heart attack). The lesions came 7-10 days later, when I realized that is what it was, and went to the doctor. Training made the pain bearable; a 7 mile run was great therapy. The pain was worst when I was trying to get to sleep at night. My doctor encouraged me to train, since it was what helped me the most - even better than pain medication.. I think that shingles "above the neck" have it worst in every way. I have heard that some have got it in their eyes, and it can cause partial blindness and permanent damage. I think as many as 1 in 4 that have had chicken pox will get shingles at some point. I was age 49 at the time I went through it.
I'm only on day 2 of knowing I have it. Feel fine physically aside from some itching. I know it can and probably will get more uncomfortable. Mentally, though, I'm confused. All doc said was to rest, take meds, and take it easy. Skipped swim this AM and can rationalize tha since had extra long swim added into schedule Sunday. When I start missing more sessions, I'm going to hate it. Sounds like training has helped some folks. Not sure what approach to take. Only 1 of 100 will get it a 2nd time.  Only 10-15% will have post shingles pain syndrome, but if under age 60, risk of the pain syndrome is less than 2%.  Treatment within 3 days of rash appearing reduces risk of pain syndrome further.  Train but at less intensity for the next couple weeks until sores heal? Ignore it and train like I would otherwise. Cut out the pool swims only until I'm no longer contagious?I know I can still race on Oct 20, but want to peak for the race not just make it there. Thoughts?
This is exactly the approach I took and it worked out great.  Less pain when and after training.  Loose clothing over the blisters to prevent them from premature breakage.  Once past contagious when I did the one swim in the pool wore a tri top as I did not want to have to explain the (non-contagious) rashes.  During the race a tight tri top and wetsuit caused no issues with the crusted over blisters.
2013-09-26 8:26 PM

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Originally posted by jbrookscga78 My case took about 6 weeks plus to fully resolve. I had it on right chest (wrapped around to back). The pain was first, and intense (if it had been left side, I would have thought it was a heart attack). The lesions came 7-10 days later, when I realized that is what it was, and went to the doctor. Training made the pain bearable; a 7 mile run was great therapy. The pain was worst when I was trying to get to sleep at night. My doctor encouraged me to train, since it was what helped me the most - even better than pain medication.. I think that shingles "above the neck" have it worst in every way. I have heard that some have got it in their eyes, and it can cause partial blindness and permanent damage. I think as many as 1 in 4 that have had chicken pox will get shingles at some point. I was age 49 at the time I went through it.
This is exactly the approach I took and it worked out great.  Less pain when and after training.  Loose clothing over the blisters to prevent them from premature breakage.  Once past contagious when I did the one swim in the pool wore a tri top as I did not want to have to explain the (non-contagious) rashes.  During the race a tight tri top and wetsuit caused no issues with the crusted over blisters.

Thank you to everyone for sharing your wisdom and experiences. Going to make the best of it and get stronger on the run and bike while I can. Good luck to you all as well with all of your training.

Cheers,

Gary

2013-09-27 8:48 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Originally posted by g_shotts I don't know anything about training with shingles. I have watched several older family member suffer from this virus. I've heard that 1/3 of people in the US will end up with shingles at some point, and it can be incredibly painful. There is a vaccine on the market that will prevent shingles outbreaks for most people It's pretty cheap, especially when compared to the agony that an outbreak can cause. Personally, I think the vaccine is a great birthday or Christmas gift for family members, especially older family members, who might not get the vaccine on their own.

I looked into getting a vaccine for shingles (I believe it's Zostavax) and was denied because I was < 50 years old...

Apparently because there isn't enough information from Zostavax studies in people <50 to know the risks and benefits from immunization...

2013-10-09 7:03 AM
in reply to: TriMike

User image

Just an update. I apparently had the "blessing" of a most mild flare up of shingles. No pain. Just some itching/discomfort for a week. No unsightly scabs, etc. The rash turned into the pustules, which dried up and went away. Only treatment was acyclovir. Doctor was pleased. I was thrilled. No longer communicable. Started back in the water yesterday. Felt weird at first, but today's swim was much more organized and productive, and I am getting that confidence back. Thanks again for all of the advice.
2013-10-09 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by PsyTri Just an update. I apparently had the "blessing" of a most mild flare up of shingles. No pain. Just some itching/discomfort for a week. No unsightly scabs, etc. The rash turned into the pustules, which dried up and went away. Only treatment was acyclovir. Doctor was pleased. I was thrilled. No longer communicable. Started back in the water yesterday. Felt weird at first, but today's swim was much more organized and productive, and I am getting that confidence back. Thanks again for all of the advice.
Glad to hear you dodged that bullet.  It is amazing to me how a relatively short break from the swim causes one to lose swim fitness.  My recent outbreak has kept me out of the water for about a month.  I just started back as well and it is a lot harder than it seems it should be.  I know it'll come back fairly quickly, but intervals that used to be a standard now leave me gasping.  Again, glad to hear you got off easy!
2013-10-09 11:26 AM

User image

Originally posted by TTom

Originally posted by PsyTri Just an update. I apparently had the "blessing" of a most mild flare up of shingles. No pain. Just some itching/discomfort for a week. No unsightly scabs, etc. The rash turned into the pustules, which dried up and went away. Only treatment was acyclovir. Doctor was pleased. I was thrilled. No longer communicable. Started back in the water yesterday. Felt weird at first, but today's swim was much more organized and productive, and I am getting that confidence back. Thanks again for all of the advice.
Glad to hear you dodged that bullet.  It is amazing to me how a relatively short break from the swim causes one to lose swim fitness.  My recent outbreak has kept me out of the water for about a month.  I just started back as well and it is a lot harder than it seems it should be.  I know it'll come back fairly quickly, but intervals that used to be a standard now leave me gasping.  Again, glad to hear you got off easy!

Thanks. Glad to hear you are getting back into the water. Month off is tough, but unless you are racing late in the season, at least you will have some time to build again. In fact, did you read the new BT article that just came out? They are going to post a weekly swim workout over the summer to keep folks focused and productive in the pool. Might give it a try after my last tri of the season coming up soon. Good luck to you.
2013-11-07 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4791788

I was diagnosed with shingles 2.5 weeks before my scheduled nyc marathon. My spirits were crushed. All that training time down the tubes....but like all of you, giving up was not an option, so here is what I did: 1) immediately got on the anti viral meds 2) completely revamped my diet (I eat healthy, but is went crazy) --- organic everything, wild caught fish, grass fed meats, etc. googled shingles diets and was strict about it. Also, nixed alcohol. 3) rest: stopped running, bed rest for 3-4 days, and just took it easy before getting back to work, etc. 4.) ordered emuaid cream ($75 for 4 oz delivered). This natural cream worked wonders on my pain and healing my blisters. 5.) found a chiropractor and began adjustments and back therapy.

Result - missed a pr by one minute. 3:39. Legs were tired, but my back was fine.

Each person reacts to shingles differently. I was in a lot of pain. Everything above helped, and I also took pain meds as needed and am off them now. Good luck To anyone who gets this terrible thing.

2021-04-24 2:21 AM
in reply to: Mpdrunner

Shocks! What you have said is exactly happening to me right now Dunno what to do. Can't go to the doctor because of lockdown to our area and I'm afraid to go outside because of the virus
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with Shingles Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shingles and Oly

Started by hurtin
Views: 1862 Posts: 14

2008-08-25 1:49 PM cadmus

Training for training or training for weightloss Pages: 1 2

Started by Denise2003
Views: 3283 Posts: 28

2006-03-13 12:17 PM buckeye66

Weight training while Tri training?

Started by sty
Views: 1217 Posts: 3

2005-01-06 10:21 AM tupuppy

training logs - planned training options

Started by ginger ninja
Views: 1525 Posts: 5

2004-11-29 12:36 PM Ron

tri training and marathon training

Started by cece
Views: 1628 Posts: 11

2004-08-27 2:31 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone
date : July 28, 2011
author : NiceTriCoaching
comments : 1
If you're training your swim, bike and run, you're almost halfway there! This article explores what most athletes miss, and how to integrate it into your training plan.

date : June 6, 2011
author : JorgeM
comments : 1
Article explaining simple training concepts important for any endurance program
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : July 9, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
While training on a stationary bike could never fully substitute time on the road, there are many workouts you can perform to work on a piece of your cycling.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
At first triathlon training may seem scary and that is why I will try to summarize a few tips for whoever wants to try and get their feet wet with triathlon. I can assure you that you will be hooked.