General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
AA Sports, Ltd.
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 3s
Overall Rank = 105/184
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Event warmup:

Jogged a little before putting on wetsuit. Swam for a total of 100-200 yards. Wish I would have been more aware of wave start times; I started jogging around 7:30 and got into the water at 7:50, but my wave didn't start until 8:35. Lots of time to stand around shivering!
Swim
  • 16m 55s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Whoops; came around the first buoy and IMMEDIATELY saw another buoy in the distance, so swam straight towards it until I almost ran into a kayaker who pointed me back towards the mob of people swimming toward the SECOND buoy instead of the THIRD. The mistake added a lot of distance to the course, but I was swimming so fast I still had a pretty good time (for me!) Makes me wonder how I would have done if I'd navigated correctly!
What would you do differently?:

Ummm....Make sure I'm heading towards the CORRECT buoy! Though I found out later lots of people made similar mistakes. The glare from the sun on the water didn't help.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Bike
  • 50m 33s
  • 20 kms
  • 23.61 km/hr
Comments:

Still working on my cycling skills. Was happy to finally pass some people, usually when going uphill. SUCH a hilly route; I felt it in my quads and low back. Tried to hold back some for the run.

Just need to continue to buiild up bike volume.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Really crowded bike rack. Had to be careful not to knock my neighbor's bike down.
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 05s  min/km
Comments:

Steep hill to start: I SOOO wanted to walk it, but I powered (slowly) through. 1st mile split 9:08. Tried to pick up the pace a little, but the hills were pretty rough. Had enough left to put on a kick at the end (tried to beat someone in my age group who passed me coming down the last hill, but failed; I was too chicken to run headlong downhill!) Got a little pain in my left hamstring/psiriformis muscle about halfway through.

Not much; effort level felt about right. Don't necessarily believe the chip time. Could my T2 have been misread? If I started my watch at the right place, my time would have been more like 28.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little, and laid down to stretch my hammies and psiriformis.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure how much being a little under the weather hurt my energy. The big mistake that cost me some time was the navigation error in the swim, but it's harde to be too upset about it when I still PRd the swim!

Event comments:

Had the wrong wave time/cap color in my packet, which I didn't realize until I was in the water. Luckily the sprint waves started later than I expected, so I got it straightened out. Wish I'd noticed that they were giving 15 minutes between the Oly and Sprint waves so I could have timed my warmup better.
Had lots of stomach cramping after the race was done. Might try to eat better the night before/ morning of to see if I can prevent that next time.

Last updated: 2013-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:55 | 880 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 97/184
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex sleeveless
Course: Triangular, counter-clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:33 | 20 kms | 23.61 km/hr
Overall: 143/184
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Counter-clockwise loop around the lake, with a short out-and-back along the park access road.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:47 | 05 kms | 05m 05s  min/km
Overall: 72/184
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly out-and-back
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-07 12:41 PM

User image

Portland, Oregon
Subject: Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by genking
Views: 874 Posts: 1

2012-07-16 3:13 PM genking

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by E=H2O
Views: 1654 Posts: 1

2008-07-14 5:25 PM E=H2O

Started by elektra
Views: 1504 Posts: 4

2007-07-09 1:35 AM leopard8996

Started by emzman
Views: 1648 Posts: 1

2007-07-08 11:06 AM emzman

Started by jaxion
Views: 1872 Posts: 2

2006-07-20 7:22 PM drdi
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?