team-magic
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 21m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clyde Masters
Age Group Rank = 18/23
Pre-race routine:

Got to Chattanoong the day before the race. Took in IMAX 3D movie....went to bed early but couldn't sleep.
Event warmup:

Had a non-greasy breakfast at the hotel.
Swim
  • 27h 42m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 1h 50m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

There were close to 1,000 triathletes in this morning's race in Chattanooga. The race was an interval start where competitors lined up and started the race on 3 second intervals. Your time is tracked via a computer chip that you wear on your ankle. The water was a pleasant 84 degrees. I swam freestyle for as long as I could then alternated between breast stroke and free style. I didn't think there was much of a current till we swam under a few bridges and I could see my speed relative to the bridge pillars and realized there was a nice current helping move us along. I finished the swim in 27:42. You had to climb some serious stairs to get to the transition area and I did not take my swim split till I climbed the stairs and entered the transition area. I got my biking shoes, shirt and helmet on and got out of T1 in 2:33. I kept my gloves on my aero bars and thought I'd put them on while biking. This was not a good idea and next time I'll invest the 15 seconds in T1 to put the gloves on. I nearly crashed getting clipped in as I tried to go before I was properly clipped in (my shoes into the pedals) and hit an orange cone.

Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 1h 33m 1s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 14m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I had pretty much emptied the tank on the bike so struggled greatly on the run. The run course was tough as it started out with a series of serious hills in the first mile. There was ample support on the run course with water and Poweraid and a few spots where they had garden hoses and I allowed myself to be drenched. It felt very good to be soaked save the squish-squish of the shoes afterwards. It was 0830+ hrs by the time I got in the water so I started the run at about 10:30 and it was plenty hot and humid. I walked the hills and did the 'marathon shuffle' as much as I could on the rest of the run. My normal running pace is 10:00 minutes per mile but not today. The fatigue plus the heat and humidity kept my pace at about 12 minutes per mile. I finished the 6.2 miles in 1:15:12.

Post race
Warm down:

In addition to putting your race number on your arms and legs, they also put your age on one calf and your division on the other calf. So I took comfort that most of the people that passed me were younger than I. As 22 year old would pass me and I'd say to myself, "Yeah, come back in 20 year and let's see if you have all that speed!" ;-) I had many people pass me on the course but I didn't see any 275 lb/43 yo guys pass me!

It was a lot tougher course than what I was expecting. This tri is called the 'Waterfront' so I was thinking it would follow the banks of the river. It does but the banks of the river happens to be a series of bluffs as Chattanooga is in the mountains! Overall I had a good race and am pleased with my time. I believe I can do considerably better next year - if I drop some of the excess baggage! My next goal is to do the Disney Marathon this January and I'm going to shoot for a PR. My current PR is about 4:50 but I was 6 years younger when I set that so this will be a sporty goal.

I'm not in as good of shape as I was in May for the GFT HIM but I learned today I was not in very good HIM shape in May. My great uncle said of my DNF that maybe God was teaching me something and I believe He was. I never should have gone straight from a sprint-distance tri to a half-iron distance tri. I learned a lot on the Olympic distance course and am a better athlete now with this experience under my belt.

Last updated: 2006-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
27:42:21 | 1500 meters | 1h 50m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: no
Course: Down river with the current. Very easy swim...which was good becuase I'd not swum in 6 weeks.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:01 | 24.8 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course started with a series of hills and I struggled going up them as I was still tired/winded from the swim. I struggled for the next 4 miles or so in what turned out to be a false flat. A false flat is an area that looks flat but is actually a long, slow incline. There was also a slight headwind going out. Between the incline and the headwind and still tired from the swim I was getting discouraged at my slow pace. The bike course was an out and back course with two loops at mid-point. I saw two different guys hurling on the side of the road evidently from pushing too hard. I also saw about 4 or 5 bikes break down and I know those riders were disappointed to have to load up their bikes in the chase vehicle. There was one point where I had a brush with death and am quite sure there is an angel in heaven this evening with a stained back! I was at the apex of one of the bridges over the TN River when I decided to power thru the summit so I could take advantage of the decline. When I stood up, for some reason both my shoes popped out and I nearly hit the wall of the bridge. The wall was only about 3 1/2' high. My heart raced as I realized that, had I hit that bridge wall I could have gone right over the top of the wall and fallen the 800 feet or so to go SPLAT on the river. I shuddered and shook it off. Thank God! That was actually the smaller of the two bridges. The second bridge was the Nickajack Dam bridge and was steep and long and I nearly did not make it to the top. I was in my lowest gear and spinning and the lactic acid was burning! I have a 10/27 rear cassette that I had changed from a 10/23 to give me more climbing power but that was almost not enough. The bridges were on the loop so we had to climb these bridges twice. I hit my max speed of 35.2 mph coming off the Nickajack bridge. At about 10 miles I got in my groove and felt pretty good the rest of the bike course. I ended the bike leg with an average speed of 16 mph - this is about what I do on the flat course that I train on. I had two gel packs on the course for about 300 calories. I finished the 25 miles in 1:33:02. Note to self: check my bike computer wheel factor as my odometer was slightly off what they had the miles on the course marked. I racked my bike and got changed into my running shoes, ditched my helmet and gloves and made it out of T2 in 3:11.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:14:59 | 06.21 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-07-19 7:08 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2006-07-19 8:22 AM
in reply to: #486742

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Wow, that bike story is scary. Glad you didn't go over the wall. I like how you described the one section as a false flat. Actually, almost the entire first 9 miles or so was uphill in one way shape or form. Good race.
On a side note, I think a lot of people make the mistake of rushing into long distance triathlons, 70.3's, and 140.6's. I think the best plan is to work your way up to the distance by doing several sprint and oly distance races. I regret that I rushed into it myself. Once you get more of these oly's under your belt, go back and try that HIM again. My thinking is that there is no reason to reach the summit of your triathlon career in one or even two seasons.
Hope to see you next year, kickin chattanooga's butt.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed