General Discussion Race Reports! » Eastman Splash, Mash & Dash Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Eastman Splash, Mash & Dash Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grantham, New Hampshire
United States
Eastman Splash, Mash & Dash Sprint Triathlon
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 36m 49s
Overall Rank = 1/10
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate banana and some energy drinks. 90 minute ride to the site.
Event warmup:

Did some running and squatting. Got Zack ready for the swim. I was only biking today so less prep, mentally, than for a tri.
Swim
  • 11m 50s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Z swam well for not doing a single stroke all year.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Just have to change the ankle timing bracelet, though we struggled getting it off Z's ankle.
Bike
  • 36m 49s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 20.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a problem mounting the bike right out of the gate, and probably wasted 20 seconds or so. Then during the first climb, someone couldn't push the pedals and fell into me as I passed them. I didn't fall, but I did have to stop and regain myself.

After that it was just a hard climb, then the steep downhill on the other side with the super sharp left turn with all the hay bails. I used quite a bit of braking as I wasn’t comfortable cutting the corner at the speed I was going. Once I made the right turn onto the main road, I just settled into the bars and got to work.

I tried to give an even effort and I was passing people most of the way. One guy in my age group, the eventual AG winner and 3rd overall, went FLYING by me after a few miles. I could see he was surprised to be passing someone with a 51 on his calf, since he was also the fastest swimmer in the wave. I yelled that I was a relayer to him and he gave me the thumbs up. Interestingly, he was the same guy I had met at Dr. Baroody's two days before and we had mentioned that we were both doing Eastman.

I knew the course was uphill all the way to the turnaround, but I was a little disappointed to see my time when I hit the turnaround mat. Much of the way back I was either spinning out or due to the gusts and the handling of my setup I was not pushing as hard as I could – certainly not as hard as the uphill out portion of the race. Once I got back to the park entrance, I really hit the climb hard and then descended and passed the timing anklet off to T.

What would you do differently?:

The wind was pretty strong at times. I had the P2 and the Zipp 808s, and with the gusty winds the setup was pretty twitchy. I need more time with the 808s to get used to the handling. My overall HR avg was 156, which is exactly my threshold per testing. I’ve been higher for 20 minute tests , so I’m pretty sure I could have gone harder. I’m also pretty sure I redlined higher than that on the way out (uphill) and easier on the way back. The power meter has since showed me how uneven my efforts are on hills, so there’s probably some time to be gained by going more steady.

I beat Jonathan's bike split, so all was well with the world!
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Just gave the timing chip to T. We did a great job in the transfer.
Run
  • 33m 7s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

T ran well given he has really been suffering through a foot injury. I really didn't think he'd be able to run on race morning, but he toughed it out.
Post race

Last updated: 2013-04-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:50 | 586 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/10
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:49 | 12.3 miles | 20.16 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 156
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: This is an out and back course. There is a pretty nice hill right out of transition, and then it's a bit of an uphill to the turnaround, then back down that same hill. The course has 1,064 ft elevation, so a pretty hilly course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:07 | 03.4 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-07-08 1:26 PM

User image

NH
Subject: Eastman Splash, Mash & Dash Sprint Triathlon

2013-07-09 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4798444

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Eastman Splash, Mash & Dash Sprint Triathlon
Warren congrats to you and the boys for being the winning relay team. You guys did a great job and it's great to see your boys taking an interest and being able to race with them. I know you didn't have a perfect bike leg but I think it was pretty solid considering the wind and the mishap with the other rider getting into you. I'm sure the more you ride with that setup the more comfortable you'll be with it.
2013-07-09 9:19 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Eastman Splash, Mash & Dash Sprint Triathlon
Congrats, and so glad you didn't wreck when the person fell in your path. Way to ge the family involved...GREAT job! Great ride!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eastman Splash, Mash & Dash Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 1754 Posts: 8

2012-06-19 7:40 PM mambos

Started by kziemer
Views: 1084 Posts: 1

2012-06-18 8:26 AM kziemer

Started by triguy31
Views: 821 Posts: 1

2012-06-17 8:32 AM triguy31

Started by offrhodes
Views: 1288 Posts: 2

2011-06-19 12:23 PM wbayek

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 2087 Posts: 5

2008-06-28 1:44 PM wieczynski
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 9, 2009
author : TexasHeatRunner
comments : 5
At mile ten I heard a noise like I had gotten paper in my spokes or something. I looked but saw nothing but a few seconds later my rear tire blows out.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.