Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-17 10:13 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: What would you do?
also if your found with a prostitute. helps an alibi also I would think.

2013-07-17 10:33 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by mehaner
Originally posted by Aarondb4

I'd unlock the door with my bullpup (a gun with a dog in the name, best of both worlds!) in the ready position then tell her she can open it. She shuts the door behind her and stays exactly where I tell her until I decide she isn't part of a scheme. Cops on the phone.

you would hold a rape victim at gunpoint?  just leave her outside, damn.

Easy for you to say as you armchair quarterback a situation after the fact. 

Not so easy to know exactly what the situation is in the moment. Perhaps you missed the part where people cook up burglary schemes involving a supposed rape in order to gain entry. 

None of us can say exactly what we would do cause we weren't there. But no I am not going to just throw the door open because someone is on the porch saying rape. I'll do all I can to help while also being smart and protecting my family. You can do whatever you want.

2013-07-17 10:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by Left Brain
Originally posted by tuwood

I'd say there's a lot of "it depends" with me as well, with a heavy emphasis on gut feel.  If the lady seemed like a strung out druggie then my response may be to tell her to stay on the porch, get her a blanket (or whatever) and call the police.

If she appeared to be actively in danger with the perp still chasing or coming after her I'd be far more inclined to let her in and it wouldn't be pretty for the bad guy if he tried coming in too. 

OK, now the other part that really makes me want to just go shoot this guy.  In the article it stated that this dude raped her multiple times and then "Responding officers then searched for the suspect and found him with a "known prostitute" in his car, the report said."

OK, I've seen some bad sex addicts in my days but this dude needs to never see the light of day again.  Holy crap.

Tony.....lemme help you out on this before one of these gals burns you to the ground.  Rape has nothing to do with sex.  Rape is about power.  I realize that I spend someof my days and nights in places you might never go, but this suspect in this case is, in all likelihood, a pimp.  It's pretty standard procedure for his "bottom biatch ", which is a term used to describe a pimp's main prostitute, to bring him prospective prostitutes.  One of the first things he will do is rape her.  In fact, he will usually rape her repeatedly over a number of days.  Some (alot, most.... whatever) of those women have no idea what they are getting into in that regard, and some pimps are just much more violently brutal than others.  From what I have seen, this story is almost assuredly a pimp who raped a prospect who didn't know that was part of the deal, and then got caught with his "bottom biatch " in the area.....likely trying to find the victim.

As for all of the "ideas" of what you should/would do if someone is naked and screaming for help......well, you go help...that's what we do for each other as human beings....or at least it should be.  If you (the collective you) think some naked woman banging on your door screaming for help is trying to set you up, you need to turn your television off, because you watch too much of it.

EDIT - sorry to work around the cursing filter.....but I couldn't post the slang term for her position within a prostitution organization without going around it.

Thanks LB.  That was, uh, enlightening :/

I still would like to hear more about the definition of "sex addict".  I have to admit, I think I first heard this term with the whole Tiger Woods thing, and I was like, "Uh...yeah, OK, so that's almost every guy I know.  So now he can just say...sorry honey, I'm a sex addict...I'm really struggling with my addiction.  Help me."  I'm not trying to make light of this (well, OK, not really), but I am trying to understand how one gets classified as an addict.  Seems like there could be some pretty fine lines...

I am waiting for the AMA to classify sex as a disease before I will accept the sex addict excuse.

Edited by Aarondb4 2013-07-17 10:37 AM
2013-07-17 10:41 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by tuwood

I'd say there's a lot of "it depends" with me as well, with a heavy emphasis on gut feel.  If the lady seemed like a strung out druggie then my response may be to tell her to stay on the porch, get her a blanket (or whatever) and call the police.

If she appeared to be actively in danger with the perp still chasing or coming after her I'd be far more inclined to let her in and it wouldn't be pretty for the bad guy if he tried coming in too. 

OK, now the other part that really makes me want to just go shoot this guy.  In the article it stated that this dude raped her multiple times and then "Responding officers then searched for the suspect and found him with a "known prostitute" in his car, the report said."

OK, I've seen some bad sex addicts in my days but this dude needs to never see the light of day again.  Holy crap.

Tony.....lemme help you out on this before one of these gals burns you to the ground.  Rape has nothing to do with sex.  Rape is about power.  I realize that I spend someof my days and nights in places you might never go, but this suspect in this case is, in all likelihood, a pimp.  It's pretty standard procedure for his "bottom biatch ", which is a term used to describe a pimp's main prostitute, to bring him prospective prostitutes.  One of the first things he will do is rape her.  In fact, he will usually rape her repeatedly over a number of days.  Some (alot, most.... whatever) of those women have no idea what they are getting into in that regard, and some pimps are just much more violently brutal than others.  From what I have seen, this story is almost assuredly a pimp who raped a prospect who didn't know that was part of the deal, and then got caught with his "bottom biatch " in the area.....likely trying to find the victim.

As for all of the "ideas" of what you should/would do if someone is naked and screaming for help......well, you go help...that's what we do for each other as human beings....or at least it should be.  If you (the collective you) think some naked woman banging on your door screaming for help is trying to set you up, you need to turn your television off, because you watch too much of it.

EDIT - sorry to work around the cursing filter.....but I couldn't post the slang term for her position within a prostitution organization without going around it.

Thanks LB.  That was, uh, enlightening :/

I still would like to hear more about the definition of "sex addict".  I have to admit, I think I first heard this term with the whole Tiger Woods thing, and I was like, "Uh...yeah, OK, so that's almost every guy I know.  So now he can just say...sorry honey, I'm a sex addict...I'm really struggling with my addiction.  Help me."  I'm not trying to make light of this (well, OK, not really), but I am trying to understand how one gets classified as an addict.  Seems like there could be some pretty fine lines...

I am waiting for the AMA to classify sex as a disease before I will accept the sex addict excuse.

Yeah, then you can get reimbursed for "treatment"

2013-07-17 10:46 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I'd unlock the door with my bullpup (a gun with a dog in the name, best of both worlds!) in the ready position then tell her she can open it. She shuts the door behind her and stays exactly where I tell her until I decide she isn't part of a scheme. Cops on the phone.

Not so easy to know exactly what the situation is in the moment. Perhaps you missed the part where people cook up burglary schemes involving a supposed rape in order to gain entry. 

None of us can say exactly what we would do cause we weren't there. But no I am not going to just throw the door open because someone is on the porch saying rape. I'll do all I can to help while also being smart and protecting my family. You can do whatever you want.

lots of people said they would call the cops and wouldn't let her in.  i might well do that too.  i might not think and let her in risking some bizarre setup.

but i do NOT understand why anyone would continue to threaten the poor woman with violence while saying "sure i'll help you."  that's sick.  just call the cops and leave her ALONE.

2013-07-17 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

lots of people said they would call the cops and wouldn't let her in.  i might well do that too.  i might not think and let her in risking some bizarre setup.

but i do NOT understand why anyone would continue to threaten the poor woman with violence while saying "sure i'll help you."  that's sick.  just call the cops and leave her ALONE.

Perhaps you can show me where I said I would threaten her with violence. 

Or I guess in your mind asking her to stay by the front door while I make sure she doesn't have friends coming in to burglarize my house is threatening violence. 

Very interesting reading skills. 

2013-07-17 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Or I guess in your mind asking her to stay by the front door while I make sure she doesn't have friends coming in to burglarize my house is threatening violence. 

"i will hold my gun in the ready position and tell her to open the door"

2013-07-17 11:55 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Opening the door with a gun in the ready position and ordering someone around at gunpoint does not imply you're threatening to use your gun? Or do you not hold/fire your gun at people in a violent way? 

2013-07-17 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

"i will hold my gun in the ready position and tell her to open the door"

Do some research on "the ready position".

2013-07-17 12:22 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by lisac957

Opening the door with a gun in the ready position and ordering someone around at gunpoint does not imply you're threatening to use your gun? Or do you not hold/fire your gun at people in a violent way? 

"Gunpoint" and "hold/fire" is a far cry from what I said. 

2013-07-17 12:26 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I read the definition of "the ready position" and it's exactly what I thought it was.
You are really splitting hairs if you do not define that as "gunpoint" or "holding" a gun.

Do you still maintain you can/would do this in a nonviolent way?

2013-07-17 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I read the definition of "the ready position" and it's exactly what I thought it was.
You are really splitting hairs if you do not define that as "gunpoint" or "holding" a gun.

Do you still maintain you can/would do this in a nonviolent way?

I am guessing you looked at this. (Came up first on Google)

http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/articles/defensive-firearm-training/firearm-ready-positions/

You tell me how the "Indoor Ready" position is pointing a gun at someone. According to the def the gun is pointing at my own toes. So I suppose I am threatening my foot with violence. 

If you think the indoor ready position is a threat of violence then you should be scared to death of any cop or military personnel that carries a rifle in the open as this is how they would carry it. 

(news-graphics-2007-_639514a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
news-graphics-2007-_639514a.jpg (33KB - 11 downloads)
2013-07-17 12:40 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
You are still maintaining that opening the door with a gun in your hands is not threatening or threatening to be violent?
I think I'm done here. 
2013-07-17 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by lisac957 You are still maintaining that opening the door with a gun in your hands is not threatening or threatening to be violent?
I think I'm done here. 

Guns are not violent in and of themselves. What people can choose to do with them can be violent. 

You would rather I leave her outside to possibly get picked back up by her attacker than to open the door in possession of a gun? So just the mere sight of a gun is worse than getting raped and possibly killed?

I am betting that anyone actually in this woman's situation would be more than happy to be helped and given a safer place to be by someone with a gun than to fend for herself. 

ETA: Grammar

Edited by Aarondb4 2013-07-17 12:49 PM
2013-07-17 12:56 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by lisac957 You are still maintaining that opening the door with a gun in your hands is not threatening or threatening to be violent?
I think I'm done here. 

It absolutely isn't.

In this particular situation, opening the door with a gun in your hand is prudent, IMO. 

If I were the victim, I would feel relieved, as the homeowner was going to be more capable of protecting me--especially if the guy coming after me had a gun.

This may just boil down to how individual people feel about guns. 

2013-07-17 1:10 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Pro

I don't have a  problem with the presence of a gun....who cares?  Aaron....you have backed off quite a bit from the idea of opening the door with a gun at the ready position (which by the way in our training is only slightly off target) and ordering a naked screaming woman where to go while you called the Police. 

Like I said, I'm not second guessing anything that actually happens.....but the "here's what I would do" scenarios get kind of goofy.

Here's my take.....if someone is screaming for help....I run toward them to help them.  I suppose one day I could run right into some kind of trap if the sun and moon and stars all lined up on Pluto.  Until then, I'm not living my life like someone who is crying for help really wants to hurt me. 

2013-07-17 1:13 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I don't have a  problem with the presence of a gun....who cares?  Aaron....you have backed off quite a bit from the idea of opening the door with a gun at the ready position (which by the way in our training is only slightly off target) and ordering a naked screaming woman where to go while you called the Police. 

Like I said, I'm not second guessing anything that actually happens.....but the "here's what I would do" scenarios get kind of goofy.

Here's my take.....if someone is screaming for help....I run toward them to help them.  I suppose one day I could run right into some kind of trap if the sun and moon and stars all lined up on Pluto.  Until then, I'm not living my life like someone who is crying for help really wants to hurt me. 

I haven't changed anything that I said. I even posted the "indoor ready" position I was referring to. 

ETA:

Like I said I agree, what if threads can get goofy. But my take is I don't usually throw the door open when I don't know who is out there. The 10 seconds it would take to prepare myself to protect my family and to potentially protect the victim if this guy was right on her heels is worth it IMO. But as we said, this is all just armchair quarterbacking as the likelihood of this ever happening to any of us is less than me winning Kona. 

Edited by Aarondb4 2013-07-17 1:21 PM
2013-07-17 1:19 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I think I'm done here. 

It absolutely isn't.

NM. I see what you're saying and yes it would absolutely depend on how the rape victim felt about guns (pointed at her, or slightly "off target" of her). She could see it as further threat or protection.

Edited by lisac957 2013-07-17 1:23 PM
2013-07-17 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I think I'm done here. 

It absolutely isn't.

How so?
Are we talking about the same thing? 

Did you read the rest of my post?

2013-07-17 1:23 PM

User image

Pro

Whatever man.....the terms you use are foreign to me...I have no idea what is taught in civilian classes.  Here's what I do know.....if I had a gun, nobody would know.

If I'm at the ready position, someone is in danger of being shot.  You can point a gun at the ground all you want.  If I get to the point where it's in my hand....don't do anything stupid.

If you stand by your origional statements of ordering her to sit here or there or whatever while you have a pistol at whatever ready position you are talking about....then no, I think that's ridiculous.  Then again.....you can come through my front door with a tractor and find me without a gun because I don't have any I can get to. Laughing

2013-07-17 1:24 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I edited after re-reading it multiple times. 

2013-07-17 1:29 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Whatever man.....the terms you use are foreign to me...I have no idea what is taught in civilian classes.  Here's what I do know.....if I had a gun, nobody would know.

If I'm at the ready position, someone is in danger of being shot.  You can point a gun at the ground all you want.  If I get to the point where it's in my hand....don't do anything stupid.

If you stand by your origional statements of ordering her to sit here or there or whatever while you have a pistol at whatever ready position you are talking about....then no, I think that's ridiculous.  Then again.....you can come through my front door with a tractor and find me without a gun because I don't have any I can get to. Laughing

Tough guy, huh?

Hugs LB!

2013-07-17 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Haha you can't seriously have a problem with me having her open the door and saying come in, stay right here, as I evaluate the situation, and go to check behind her and see who or what is coming in after or behind her. As soon as I verify everyone is safe the door gets shut, locked and she gets tended to while I guard and wait for the cops.

I didn't know they taught you to just run headlong into any situation without caution or evaluation in those "non-civilian" classes.

Oh, and a bullpup is not a pistol, but you knew that. :P

2013-07-17 1:37 PM

User image

Pro

Haha you can't seriously have a problem with me having her open the door and saying come in, stay right here, as I evaluate the situation, and go to check behind her and see who or what is coming in after or behind her. As soon as I verify everyone is safe the door gets shut, locked and she gets tended to while I guard and wait for the cops.

I didn't know they taught you to just run headlong into any situation without caution or evaluation in those "non-civilian" classes.

Keep training!!  The war may yet come to your doorstep!  Laughing 

And no, I have no idea what a bullpup is....a fishing lure?

2013-07-17 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Keep training!!  The war may yet come to your doorstep!  Laughing 

And no, I have no idea what a bullpup is....a fishing lure?

Haha, far more scary and assaulty than that. 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » What would you do? Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"