Musselman Triathlon
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 23s
Overall Rank = 122/835
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 10/54
Pre-race routine:

Slept in a bit as this race doesn't start until 9. Drove over the race site and set up transition. I had a bagel and banana on the way.
Event warmup:

Just wrestling into my wetsuit and the walk to the race start.
Swim
  • 14m 31s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was interesting that there is 5 minutes between waves. It is about 100 yards of walking and swimming out to the buoys from the corral. I wasn't in the first people out of the corral, but I had plenty of time to get in, swim some to test goggles, etc. and still tread water. When the gun went off though there were still a dozen or so people that hadn't gotten to the start buoys yet.

I started on the right side of the canal and got into a good rhythm early and just followed the canal to the finish. I felt like this was a good swim for me, but would have liked to been faster.
What would you do differently?:

Sprint, it is a sprint after all!
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Not bad
Bike
  • 47m 52s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

Left out of transition, and buggered up the Garmin so I had to reset that on the fly as I wanted to keep my power numbers up. Starting in one of the later waves, and being an average swimmer at best means I get to pass a lot of cyclists once I get out on the course.
Settled into a solid effort and maintained a good pace going up the first part of the course, which is a slight uphill.
About 6 miles in or so a State Trooper passed us with lights and sirens going and it wasn't but a few hundred yards further where we crested a hill that the reason became apparent. Right past the Varick Fire Department there is an incident of some sort with a fire truck pulled into the road and some activity in front of the truck. Several cars are stopped as well as a few racers. As I reached the back of the fire truck I could see that CPR is being performed on someone, but couldn't tell what happened beyond that. We are directed around the outside of the truck and some people are holding a tarp block what is going on, but just past that a bike is on the ground and the lady following me starts screaming when she saw the bike. Tough to know if that was the injured rider or someone that stopped to offer assistance but it was certainly heart breaking to hear her anxiety.
Tough as it was to not worry about what was going on, I just kept going. Made the turn back towards the lake and shortly after back north. It was nice to get a bit of a tail wind and some down hill to finish the bike with a decent overall average speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Not bad for me.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran out of transition and on to the lake path that the entire run is on for the 5K. I felt like I was struggling a bit with the effort until I realized I was running a 7:08 pace. I backed it down some to try to be closer to the 7:30 goal pace. Settled into a nice pace that I felt would give me a good race and leave something in the tank for the second part of the double mussel on Sunday.
Considering the outcome Sunday, I should have just gone wide open.

Good to see all the friendly familiar faces (Connie, Dud, and Mike were volunteering) at the aid station the 2 times through. Snuck a kiss from Connie on the way back through!

All in all, pleased with the run for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my gear out of transition and put it in the car and rode out to the aid station.
I heard when I was picking my stuff up that the person on the bike course didn't make it, which was later confirmed in the news. Sad new and my thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Last updated: 2012-10-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:31 | 820 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/54
Overall: 0/835
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Point to point in the canel
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:47:52 | 16.1 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/54
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:44 | 03.1 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/54
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-15 11:18 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

2013-07-15 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4804379

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon
Since I did the double Mussel, here is the link to the Musselman RR!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

mini-Mussel Sprint Triathlon

Started by jamjam
Views: 1870 Posts: 9

2007-07-18 7:07 AM tbatt

Started by PsychoEddie
Views: 1714 Posts: 1

2007-07-16 1:00 PM PsychoEddie

Started by teekay
Views: 2113 Posts: 4

2007-07-16 5:11 PM fightinginertia

Started by kenj
Views: 2450 Posts: 7

2007-07-16 10:43 AM dexter

Started by shanec_75
Views: 1635 Posts: 2

2006-07-22 9:37 AM BellinghamSpence
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : January 1, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
We will take a peek into the lowly saddlebag to see what needs to be in there in case of emergency. Much of this may be common sense, some might surprise you, and some are simply just my opinion.

date : December 17, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 1
My first Sprint triathlon, after a very nervous pre-race morning.
date : September 10, 2007
author : 2x4nomore
comments : 9
Description of one overweight, nervous, beginner triathlete's very first race -- a "Mini" Triathlon.

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.