DINO, LLC
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 53s
Overall Rank = 27/80
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Some bread/toast with peanut butter and honey with a cup of coffee...just like always. I think I need to move breakfast a little closer to race time. Drove to the race site and got transition set-up. Felt pretty good that morning...
Event warmup:

Some biking around the park...some running around the park...about 100 yds swimming....nothing special. I don't have a set warm-up routine. Felt good at the start though.
Swim
  • 27m 7s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

So I felt good going into this swim. I had a successful OWS a few days before and I was hoping for a performance more up to my capability. I was disappointed again. This is definitely a big improvement over where I was last year. However, I know that if I'm closer to 20 minutes, my overall race performance will be better. This was a frustrating swim for me. Not very happy with it. Live and learn. I'll do better next time.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more. Swim faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Stuffed down a few fruit leather thingies before heading out this time. That was a good idea. I feel that there is some free time in my T1 to start getting at. I"ll have to evaluate my process and see if I can get it below 1:20.

Nothing yet. This works ok for me.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 39s
  • 13 miles
  • 10.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I was killing it. Pushing the limit, moving fast, bombing the downhills. I was having a blast. I checked my watch to see how long I'd been riding and I was right at 32 minutes. That means it was time for a gel. I didn't tape my gel to the top tube today for some reason, it was in my pocket. I reached into my pocket on my tri shorts with my right hand and slowed the bike. As I was reaching, I noticed I was swerving off course. I fixed, but overcorrected and hit the brakes to slow down. Unfortunately, it was my front break. I locked up the front tire and sent myself flying of the the handlebars. I hit my shoulder pretty hard and my head hit the ground too. I jumped right up and moved off the trail. I didn't do a damage assessment then, I just opened the gel, and got riding again. The ride wasn't the same after that. I'd lost the edge that I had before and I couldn't force it back. I played it safe even though I didn't want to. I think that crash made me lose a lot more time than it had to.

After the race I checked it out and I escaped with some scrapes on my shoulder and down my left side, but nothing major at all.

Keep the bike underneath me instead of the other way around.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Not too bad. Not one of my faster transitions, but I'll get it soon.
Run
  • 39m 26s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I had someone come up behind me at the beginning and pace of off me. No big deal, I'll just drop them on a flat. I tried and tried and could not drop this guy. I moved over to let him pass and he said that he wasn't ready. I would push it a little on the up hill and he would drop back. Then he'd catch me again on the downs. I couldn't lose him. No big deal. We were pushing each other and that was good. At the second water station, we both grabbed a water and drank. I had wanted to leave before him, but he left one second before me. Literally. He was just up the trail and I couldn't catch him. I let him go, figuring that I just needed to find my rhythm. I did find my rhythm again, but it was too late. He was long gone.

Overall this was an average run for me. 8th overall isn't too bad, and that must mean that everyone struggled on this run course.

Stick with that guy!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Sit on the ground...drink Gatorade...eat sandwiches and check results. When I saw I hadn't gotten a podium, I packed and left for my next destination. This was a fun race and I'd do it again next year.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A bad swim and loss of competitive drive on the run.

Event comments:

Again, I enjoyed this race and had a lot of fun doing it. I'd recommend it to my friends. I may even try to get my brother to enter the kayak division next year.

Last updated: 2013-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:07 | 1000 meters | 02m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 61/80
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Big triangle. With a branch to dodge on the back stretch.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:39 | 13 miles | 10.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 37/80
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Big loop. Not many sharp/steep hills. Very flowy with many gradual climbs. Very fun course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:39:26 | 05 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 8/80
Performance: Average
Course: Very hilly at the beginning with a few streambed crossings. Difficult run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-23 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: XTERRA DINO Triathlon Versailles
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA DINO Triathlon Versailles Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

XTERRA DINO Triathlon Versailles

Started by ditchmedic
Views: 790 Posts: 1

2012-07-22 8:48 PM ditchmedic

XTerra DINO Tri Versailles

Started by revkev
Views: 991 Posts: 3

2010-07-26 6:52 PM revkev

XTerra DINO Tri Versailles

Started by twinklebug
Views: 1080 Posts: 1

2010-07-26 9:21 AM twinklebug

XTERRA DINO Logansport

Started by drm1
Views: 1026 Posts: 1

2008-09-03 3:52 PM drm1

The Extreme Outfitters DINO Triathlon

Started by egates656
Views: 1229 Posts: 1

2006-08-07 7:10 AM egates656
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon

date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.
date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.

date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Wetsuit guide for triathletes - manufacturers, sizing and maintenance.