General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Nashville, Tennessee
United States
Team Magic, Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 20s
Overall Rank = 96/302
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/22
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site plenty early and setup. Talked to some club teammates and then relaxed with Kim and the kids, until I realized I forgot my timing chip. Crap, when I got out of bed, the lights were off and my chip was on top of my kit and I must not have seen it. I put it on top to be SURE that it was the first thing I saw. REALLY.....

Anyway, got a replacement chip and now need to send them back this one.
Event warmup:

ZERO. Stretched a bit.
Swim
  • 25m 48s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Even with the current way down from yesterday, its still a current. Most people swim 4-5 minutes slower than normal. I had a pretty decent swim, sighted pretty well I thought. Swimming against the current was tough and I didn't do as good a job on the last up turn, but all in all it was good. Was a little bit tired in my shoulders at the very end, but not really too bad. I was ready to hit the bike hard within the first half mile, instead of it taking me 2-3 miles to recover from the swim, like it has in the past.
What would you do differently?:

I was never panicked or thought this wasn't going well (as opposed to the last time in the Cumberland...) Right google was suctioned to my eye, and that was always bothering me. Must have lost one of my ear plugs along the way, because it was not there when I pulled my cap off.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

Not a bad transition. About 1:20 slower than the leader :( - but around 8/22 in the AG again. Struggled a tiny bit getting my feet in the bike shoes on both feet, just need to practice a bit. Decided NOT to leave the bike shoes on this time, and glad I didn't, even though it was a bit of a run out of T1 with the shoes on.

DID not fall, so mission accomplished.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 21s
  • 26.61 miles
  • 20.93 mile/hr
Comments:

Hammer rides with Lance and Nick are really paying off, was eating up people going up Ellington and down it. Felt like a missile at times. Ran out of gear at one time going down hill. Never felt like I was tired or not pushing, just on the gas from the get-go until it was over.

My intervals on my bike are set up at 2 miles each, Had one interval at 3:54 averaging 30.67MPH.. Sweet.
What would you do differently?:

Please with this
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

Came to a complete stop and dismounted, had my feet on top of the shoes. Was 40 seconds slower than the leader, and around 10th in this, so still lots of improvements to be had. These Transitions seem to really be my bad part right now, just need to correct the little things.

I did, however, put socks on for the first time in T2, so this might have added a little bit.
Run
  • 53m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

All of my runs have been super slow this summer. I just have to fix this speed issue, because I had a LOT left in the tank at the end and really kicked it up when I KNEW the end was in sight. I have not learned to HDFU on the run yet, which USED to be my strong point.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate pizza and water and mingled a little bit with club members.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transitions and Running.

Event comments:

Came in 5th in my group, but 10 minutes slower than 4th, so not sure where I will find THAT much speed. The top guys are still way faster than me in the swim and run.

Really loved this race though. It's normally sooooo HOT during this race, but today was just right. I was pumped when I was done and full of energy, so this tells me my Ironman training is going well at this time.

Last updated: 2013-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:48 | 1640 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/22
Overall: 104/302
Performance: Good
Suit: X-Terra
Course: Rectangle swim in the Cumberland river.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:21 | 26.61 miles | 20.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 48/302
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Long course, not the standard OLY distance of 24.85, but 26.61 by my Garmin. WOW, this was a tough but fun course, up hill on Ellington Pkwy (closed to traffic) and fly back down.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:53:56 | 06.21 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/22
Overall: 181/302
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops. Hilly.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-29 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Murfreesboro, TN
Subject: Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Music City Triathlon - Intermediate Course

Started by crusty
Views: 1043 Posts: 2

2013-07-29 6:16 PM JoelO

ACME Multisports Music City Triathlon (Intermediate Distance)

Started by Blueraiderzone
Views: 1307 Posts: 1

2011-07-27 9:41 AM Blueraiderzone

Music City Triathlon Intermediate Distance

Started by kbizz03
Views: 886 Posts: 1

2011-04-03 11:46 AM kbizz03

Started by dbrawders
Views: 1333 Posts: 1

2010-07-28 11:03 PM dbrawders

Started by pole_dancer
Views: 1848 Posts: 4

2009-07-30 10:39 AM Artemis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : February 12, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 14 hours toward the end of the 10 weeks.
date : February 7, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 4
Is it good to listen to music while lap swimming? Are there any devices to help you keep track of your laps?

date : January 9, 2008
comments : 1
This plan is an advanced plan in terms of volume and intensity and appropriate for someone who is looking to go under 5:00 and as fast as 4:30. There isn’t a lot of fluff in the plan.
date : November 20, 2007
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.

date : March 9, 2007
Nutrition and pacing strategies for the beginner and intermediate sprint racers
date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.