General Discussion Race Reports! » Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Glenview, Illinois
United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 56m 30s
Overall Rank = 10/320
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/27
Pre-race routine:

PBJ and UCAN at home, then a short ride over to the race (nice having it in my hometown). One more UCAN about 20 minues before start.
Event warmup:

Short jog in lofty company. Did a little half-mile jaunt with Bruce & Betsy (the eventual men's winner and women's runner-up) and Mark and Kim (the eventual woman's winner and men's runner-up). I wound up having a great race, so maybe their mojo rubbed off on me.
Swim
  • 04m 23s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was a little stressed about the swim because participants self-seed and are not always accuarte. Last year I got caught behind a slower swimmer who did not pull over at the end of a lane and then I had a race official make we wait to let two people pass me (and then all three of us got jammed up behind a slower swimmer). No problems this year. I caught the person in front of me at 75 yards and stayed right on the heels of the next swimmer through the end of the swim. I put in a good effort and didn't get slowed down by extraneous stuff.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

5th fastest out. Not much to do here other than try to run faster from the water to my bike.

Not much.
Bike
  • 26m 49s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Solid ride. I was at about the same intensity/power as Tower, but it took much less out of me, so I've gained some bike fitness this season. The first lap was a little lonely since I started towards the beginning of the swim, but there were some more people out of the water and on the course by the 2nd lap. It helps to push the pace a bit on a sprint to have people strung out in front of you to catch.

I probably could have biked a little harder in parts. There were a few times where I purposefully eased off when I felt my legs getting a little heavy, so I wouldn't have wanted to push a ton harder in those spots. There were also a few stretches, though, where I was going fast and realized that my legs had just been spinning, so on those areas, I probably could have pushed a little harder and picked up a little bit more speed. I think it's a matter of staying constantly vigalent about my effort and not getting complacent.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Around 30th fastest out, so there are at least a few people doing something I'm not.

I probably should be putting on shoes first and then grabbing everything else and getting it on/adjusted as I run out. Not a ton of time to save here, but every second counts on a sprint.
Run
  • 23m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I finally nailed a run in a race, which felt great. The weather (mid 50's) helped.

Given how my pace dropped throughout the run, I probably could have gone out a little harder. It's always hard to gauge how much you would have had left had you run harder, but, based on how much my pace dropped when I kicked at the end, the energy might have been better spent over the first few miles of the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk-around. Massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Me. I probably could have pushed a bit more throuhgout and maybe picked up :20-:30 seconds.

Event comments:

As usual, a gem of a local race.

Last updated: 2013-07-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:23 | 300 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/27
Overall: 26/320
Performance: Good
Suit: DeSoto Tri Shorts and 78 degree top.
Course: Pool swim. Snake from one corner to the opposite.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:49 | 10 miles | 22.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/27
Overall: 7/320
Average power at 204w (normalized at 212w).
Wind: Some
Course: 2 5-mile loops. Course was a little short, so I was closer to 22mph.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:20 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 25/320
Didn't use HR monitor for this and just went by feel. Splits were: 7:36, 7:18, 7:07, 5:16.
Course: 1-mile out, over a hill, 1-mile loop and back. The course was a little long. Actual pace was closer to 7:10/7:15.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-29 12:12 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Glenview Park District Sprint Triathlon

Started by Ershk
Views: 1262 Posts: 1

2012-07-29 4:37 PM Ershk

Glenview Park Center Triathlon

Started by DiscoStu47
Views: 1004 Posts: 2

2010-08-03 2:19 PM Ershk

Started by Ershk
Views: 1316 Posts: 3

2010-08-04 8:54 AM Ershk

Started by Ershk
Views: 2033 Posts: 1

2009-07-26 4:03 PM Ershk

Started by hk94
Views: 1680 Posts: 1

2005-08-02 12:53 PM hk94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 17, 2008
author : Yosel20
At first I thought, "Oh boy, what a mistake!" Let’s face it, I could barely run half a mile, I had not swum in forever, and my biking skills were not great, to say the least.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Are you only focusing on racing and training this season?  Volunteeri to help at a triathlon!

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.