General Discussion Race Reports! » Jack's Generic Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jack's Generic Triathlon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pflugerville, Texas
United States
High Five Events, LLC
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 28s
Overall Rank = 61/242
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5:30am. Slept uncharacteristically well. We left the hotel at a little after 6am. I ate a Honey Stinger bar, a potassium pill and shark salt. Filled my water bottles, gathered my gear and we were off.
Event warmup:

After getting transition set up, I hit the portapotties and then waited for the swim warm up. Some fitness group was doing a warm up on the beach but I skipped out on that. I swam a couple hundred yards as a warm up. Lots of Hydrilla growing up from the bottom of the lake to about 75 yards off shore. Seemed to want to grab your wrists and arms when you pulled through the stuff.
Swim
  • 22m 25s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Beach start for this race which was something new for me not to mention the two loops. I made my way to the front and took off. About 20 yards into the swim, my Garmin 310XT came loose from my wrist. I tried to grab it when it came loose and missed. I tried to kick it and spin around to grab it without luck. When I looked behind me, there were a whole lot of people swimming at me so this was a lost cause. Lost a little focus at this point and my focus wasn't real good until the turnaround to head back to the beach. There was alot of shots to the head and people swimming on my legs on the first lap. One of the worst open water swim experiences to date. I caught a bunch of people in the previous wave at the turnaround. When I exited the water and ran down the beach for the second lap, things had thinned out a little bit. The second lap was much better from a body contact standpoint. The Hydrilla was churned up and my hands and arms were tangled in the stuff close to the shoreline.
What would you do differently?:

Should have kept a better line on the first lap and make sure my watch was secure. It was two years old and I have replaced the band twice. It may have just been time to get a new one.
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Very good T1 for me. I was in and out fast. The beach area cut up my feet a little bit. I considered going with socks for this race but I didn't feel I had that luxury. I am doing the Texas Tri Series and some of my competition was moving quickly.

Nothing. Very good.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 6s
  • 26 miles
  • 20.19 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind was fairly calm for the first loop. Seemed like the roads had been worked on since the last race here earlier in the summer. Still some bad spots but much improved. I had a good first lap. The wind really picked up for the second lap. I have not been riding much over the past few weeks. I have been on vacation and had some work related stuff that kept me off the bike. I faded a little bit going south into the wind. I was about a mile an hour off the fastest guys in my grouip. I wasn't too disappointed. The second lap had lots of traffic to deal with. The sprint race entered the course on our second lap so there was a lot of congestion.

Not much I could do for this race. Keep on training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

My flying one legged dismount was awesome. You would have thought I knew what I was doing. I was fast to the rack. I stared at those socks and bypassed them for the run. I had already started to get blisters on the bike from the spots on my feet irritated on the beach. This wasn't going to be pretty but I had to get moving.

Very happy with my time.
Run
  • 50m 46s
  • 6 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

It was getting hot at the time the run began. I'm not entirely sure why they chose to start this race at 8am. The sun was up at 6:30 and it would have been much better to get an earlier start. I grabbed my wife's cowboy hat and traded my visor with her. I was hoping to get more of the sun off me. I tried to keep an attainable fast pace for the first lap. At every aid station, I poured water all over me in an effort to cool my core temperature and drank a cup of Gatorade. No watch so I have no idea on spacing. Second lap I tried to push the pace through mile 4 and evaluate where I was. Walked the aid station with the same tactics. It was getting hot enough that I could't stay cool more than about a quarter mile. At mile 5, I ran through the aid station, splashed cold water on myself and kept moving. At 5.5 miles my body tried to quit and I walked about 20 feet before running in the rest of the way. I set a 10k PR for myself on the run. The course is fairly flat but there is no shade and nowhere to hide from the sun. My feet were cut up from the beach and the little granite rocks got in my shoes and created blisters on my feet. Not great.

If I thought there was enough time, I would have worn socks.
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the ice water kiddy pools in the medical area. My core temperature came down and it felt great. My quads and calves were cramping. One of the people in the medical area worked on my cramped muscles. Whatever she did hurt like hell at the time but I didn't have any problems later so thanks to whoever helped me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting sidetracked on the first lap of the swim and being in better condition for the bike leg.

Event comments:

Good race. The course was really congested with intermediate and sprint using the same courses. I don't know if the venue can handle that much traffic.

Last updated: 2013-05-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:25 | 1094 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/11
Overall: 84/242
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Buoys out and back were shaped like a house, if that makes sense. Two in a line going out, angle to the turnaround, angle to the final two buoys that were lined up back to the beach. For the intermediate distance, we completed a lap, ran about 50 yards across the beach and did a second lap.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:06 | 26 miles | 20.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 45/242
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: (2) 13 mile loops of a course in a diamond shape from the transition area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:46 | 06 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 56/242
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops around Lake Pflugerville on a crushed granite trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-09 2:52 PM

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas
Subject: Jack's Generic Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jack's Generic Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jack's Generic Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by courtney_leone
Views: 1562 Posts: 26

2005-09-12 12:08 PM courtney_leone

Jack's Generic Triathlon

Started by TTUTri
Views: 1997 Posts: 6

2005-09-05 8:03 PM dgunthert

Jack's Generic Triathlon

Started by OldAg92
Views: 3089 Posts: 15

2005-09-07 10:43 AM CitySky

Jack's Generic Triathlon

Started by dgunthert
Views: 1981 Posts: 6

2005-09-06 9:00 AM TTUTri

Jack's Generic Triathlon

Started by grvfrog
Views: 1286 Posts: 3

2004-09-09 11:31 AM glf33
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.