United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 41s
Overall Rank = 3/9
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/9
Pre-race routine:

I was not committed to competing in this race. Completing the distance and enjoying my day were my biggest goals. So I blew off part of my usual pre-race routine of cleaning & inspecting my bike and chain the day before the race. This will come back to bite me......
Day of - the usual: ate a breakfast of 1 fried egg, 1 piece of toast, half an apple, 1 & 1/2 cups of coffee, bite of cliff bar, drank some water. Got dressed, checked my list, packed the van and drove 15 minutes to the lake :). Gotta love local races!
Event warmup:

Took my bike out for a 5 min spin to get it in the right gear, swam for 5 min to adjust to the water.
Swim
  • 29m 39s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well gee, it never occurred to me that this race would be wetsuit legal in August. I mean it is called the Mid August MELTDOWN for goodness sake. But as I am standing at the start I see lots of wetsuits so I knew I was going to be dropped. Fine, I got it out of my head and focused on my goals of completing the distance and enjoying my day. My plan for the swim was to go at my comfortable pace so I could conserve as much effort as possible for the run. The swim is a non issue for me when paced properly. Raced too hard and I will be in a hole from the start.
We took off and this was a small field so I think everyone had a clear line. I got on some guys feet and I was so excited to be drafting. Then I looked up to site and he was gone. Pretty much from there on out I was alone. No one passing me, no one to pass. I just went into my comfy I can swim like this forever mode and focused on staying on course. It went like this - 1,2,3 stroke, 1,2,3 site, rinse, repeat. The only issue I had was as we turned to the beach the sun was right in our eyes and I could not see anything. At that moment my heart rate increased rapidly, almost like it skipped a beat then started pounding. I have had this happen before so I know what to expect but I had to slow down more until it settled.
What would you do differently?:

Wear my wetsuit even though I hate it! Swim more and put some effort into my swims. I've been enjoying my swims instead of busting my rump. I takes so much hard effort to make up any time swimming and I just have not been motivated this year. We also sold our boat earlier this summer so I have not been in open water much. I need more work siting as I think I lift my head up too far to see which slows me down a lot over a distance like this. This time was about what I expected out of the day though.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

No big deal, take off my stuff, put on my sunglasses, grab my bike and off I went.
Although I did kind of stroll out of the water. This would have been time ticking away on my swim time though not transition. I could have tried a little harder to pick up the pace as I exited the water. I started jogging through the transition after I was off the beach.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 30s
  • 24 miles
  • 19.40 mile/hr
Comments:

We could not have asked for better weather for this bike ride, it was a gorgeous day out and very still! I hopped on my bike, hit start on my Garmin and settled in for the ride. My legs had that usual cramped up race day feeling that I HATE but I have learned to expect. Again, I saw no one around me. I keep looking down at my Garmin but the data is not making sense. Finally I realize I had not reset from my last ride - GRRR. So I slowed a little during this little episode to figure out what was going on and reset the data. After that it was smooth sailing. I was only passed by one guy (of course they all left me during the swim) and I passed a couple of people. The course has a few rolling ant hills but is mostly flat. The road is not smooth asphalt but very bumpy chip & seal. No pot holes or anything but near the end of the ride that was getting to me. Part of me wanted to kill this bike but I knew the worst was yet to come with the run so I had to keep it under control. I constantly monitored my HR and adjusted my pace as needed. I also had to really concentrate on remembering to drink from my aero bottle, sounds strange but I routinely go for rides of this distance without so much as a drink of water. I know that is not a good idea but it happens. Thanks for the great advice all - gatorade in my aero bottle was perfect and I didn't even make a mess :). I learned pretty quick that I had to take tiny sips. My stomach couldn't handle a regular drink and I would burp for the next minute or so if I took too big of a drink. Tiny sips were fine though. So that was my ride, look at the corn, get pissed at my legs, listen to my HR, take a drink, watch my pace. You know how it goes.

I'm coming into transition feeling really good about my ride and start the process of slowing into transition when I see a pick up truck breaking to make a left hand turn right in the middle of the transition area directly in front of me. So I shift to my little ring and that is when hear my chain slip off, not only did it slip but the master link came off! Leave it to me. I have to slam the breaks because moron in the pick up truck does not even seem to realize there is race going on and turns left in front of me and a runner coming out out transition. Now I've lost all momentum and can't pedal because my broken chain is dangling behind me so I have to hop off the bike and run up the road to even get to the transition area. I may have cussed at this point..... and my husband has it all on video.

Not be such an airhead with my Garmin. Check my bike before the race like I usually do. Train.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

This was a little jumbled after the chain breaking pick up truck incident. There were also some people who had finished the sprint standing around chatting at the bike box I was in and it was a little distracting. They were very nice and encouraging but I just lost focus. I also put on socks this time. I forgot to grab my Garmin which exasperated me but I don't think it would have made much difference on my run.

Meh, this is kinda just me so I've learned to except it. Even when I plan well my head gets a little jumbled in T2 in distances beyond a sprint.
Run
  • 1h 01m 18s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

So here we go, I have paced myself all day for this run. This run is 2 laps. My legs took a little longer than normal to shake out after the bike. About 3/4 of a mile I would guess and during this time I also had a small issue with my left glute cramping up so I slowed the pace down and it settled. I was a little worried though because I've never had anything cramp and didn't know what to expect. I set my mind at that moment that I was finishing even if I had to walk the whole darn thing so forget about. I took water at every water stop except 1 and my nutrition felt just fine. Finished the first lap and felt ok then Tiff joined me for the second lap. She had raced the sprint but stuck around to run with me. Now things started to get rough. She chatted away while I huffed and puffed. My legs felt fine but my lungs were working hard and I just wanted this to be over. At the turn around we saw a young girl closing in and of course this gets Tiff going but I stopped to walk ha ha ha. I needed a sec to catch my breath. After that I felt much better. Slogged the rest of way, could not pick up the pace as hard as I tried. The last mile my heel started to hurt, my legs were burning, I was struggling but the girl did not pass me. Crossed the finish line and I must I looked beat because everyone was asking me if I was o.k..

TRAIN! My running has been limited due to some last minute foot issues brought on by a new pair of Birkenstocks but when is my running NOT limited by feet? Never, so this is just normal.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat in the shade, hobbled to the food area, grabbed a coke and a piece of pizza but my kids quickly took that out of my hands :). Props to my husband for bringing them out to watch, cheering for me, taking video and being a very supportive spouse!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and a blase' attitude this summer.

Event comments:

Cutting Edge always puts on a great race!

Last updated: 2013-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:39 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/9
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:30 | 24 miles | 19.40 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:18 | 06.2 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-08-12 8:24 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Cutting Edge Mid August Meltdown

2013-08-12 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4826726

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Mid August Meltdown
Congrats on the PR..GREAT job! So proud of you!!!!!!
2013-08-12 9:46 AM

User image

You're so laid-back in your approach to racing and yet you set a PR!!!   You're obviously a gifted athlete, Dina, who doesn't need much training in order to do well.    Congratulations for going out and getting it done despite not being motivated to be super competitive.   As a busy wife and mother it's more than OK just to do these things to stay active and to be a good example to your family.    Well done!

2013-08-13 4:45 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am completely with Brenda here!  Your primary job at this stage in your life is to be a mother, not an athlete.  I imagine your lack if mojo on the training front is because parenting is more important to you than training and racing well.  I think your PR at this race is a little bit of a "payback" because you're such a dedicated mother.  No one can ever fault you for trying, and being, one of the best mom's.  Success!

No wetsuit though?!?!  Haha.  I have learned this lesson myself.  I NEVER go to any race without my wetsuit in my gear bag because of this scenario.  However, the lack of a wetsuit didn't keep you from a PR and there's something to that.

My opinion is that you had a pretty awesome race!  Setting a PR without at wetsuit, breaking your chain in the last few yards of the bike and developing pain in your foot in the final mile of the run, all while "not racing" on this day.  CHA-CHING!!!  Bingo!!  Great race!!

2013-08-13 6:45 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Bronze member

Thanks for the kind words. You guys are really such a great support system! You understand perfectly what my attitude has been all summer. It is a miracle I raced at all. 

Dirk, yes silly of me really not to think of packing my wetsuit considering we have had such a cool summer. It is still hanging on a hook at Tiff's pond and has not been touched since May. People I ALWAYS swim faster than left me in the dust in this race. Now I'm thinking of getting my revenge at a HIM aqua/bike at the end of the month .

2013-08-13 8:33 PM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dina congrats on the PR and for having a great race. I'm with the consensus I don't know how you manage to do a race on a whim and PR it but it speaks volumes about your character and ability. I'm glad you did this race and you really did have a great race. No wetsuit during the swim, broken chain on the bike and you gutted out a tough run. I'd take your times for the swim, bike and run any race. Congrats again and go sign up for the aqua/bike HIM already.

2013-08-15 9:21 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Dina, congratulations on an amazing race and PR escpecially with all the issues! I have to agree with what everyone has said you are a gifted athlete.....going out there and doing so well when you have barely trained! Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cutting Edge Mid August Meltdown Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cutting Edge Half Classic

Started by NewburghBrett
Views: 1941 Posts: 6

2008-07-01 10:09 AM getsome

Cutting Edge Half Classic

Started by CKinsey
Views: 1861 Posts: 4

2008-06-30 12:21 PM getsome

Cutting Edge Half Iron Triathlon

Started by drm1
Views: 1275 Posts: 1

2007-06-28 7:11 PM drm1

Cutting Edge Half Iron Triathlon

Started by drm1
Views: 1472 Posts: 1

2006-06-19 11:52 AM drm1

Mid-August Meltdown Sprint Triathlon

Started by snoopy
Views: 1086 Posts: 1

2005-08-14 8:59 PM snoopy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 22, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
The Doctor says a minimum of eight weeks before I'm back in the pool. I'm training for a HIM and wondering how quickly I can start running and what the recovery will be like.

date : May 19, 2008
author : peteo
Well it is mid-life crisis time. I could get a mistress but I still think my wife is hot. Or I can abuse my body like I was still 19. Triathlon world here I come!!
date : May 12, 2008
author : AMSSM
Ever since running that marathon I have been experiencing stiffness and discomfort in my left foot, from the fourth and fifth metatarsals to about my mid foot.