General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 310 vs 910 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-08-18 9:53 PM

User image

Subject: Garmin 310 vs 910
Well today during a city cycling event, my bike computer came off within 45 seconds of the start of the "race". I heard it bounce around and looked back and saw the 2,000 bikers behind me and knew that it was forever lost. I was a twist on type and I've already had trouble with it before, so it was only a matter of time. So...now might be a good mine to upgrade to a Garmin computer but I'm a little hesitant since I already have a Garmin 405 for running. I think a mulitsport one might be the route I go but I'm still not convinced yet. I looked at the different between a 310 and a 910 and there's hardly any features which are different. Here are the differences when I did a compare:

Virtual Racer™ (compete against other activities) --- Don't care, never used this on my 405
Swim metrics (stroke type, stroke count and pool lengths)
Training Effect (measures impact of an activity on your aerobic fitness) -- Don't care. I have my own zones
Barometric altimeter -- Don't care

The only thing that seems interesting would be the swim metric. Does the stroke count any good? It would be nice to have the watch count my laps but is that worth $150? Not to me.

Basically my options are (I have HR monitor already):

Buy used bike computer (co-worker) and then buy Garmin accessories for it and use existing watch for running: ~$150-$200
310 + bike items: $250 + $40 for speed/cadence - $80...$100 selling old watch
910 + bike items: $400 + $40 for speed/cadence - $80...$100 selling old watch

What are your guys' thoughts? Any owners of a 310 or 910 want to chime in with their experiences with the watches? I was all set on a 310/910 but then as I wrote this, the swim benefits didn't seem that worth it and I sort of got turned off. Then I did the price chart and forgot I could sell my old watch, so a new one wouldn't be too bad.

I also want to know if you can use these watches on the treadmill. I think I can on my current watch but it keeps trying to find a stupid GPS signal and all I want to use it for in a HR monitor. I used to use my bike computer for it (came with a running strap which was nice). I THINK I can get my current watch to not go into GPS mode but it's been a while since I tried and haven't look in the manual yet.

2013-08-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Garmin 310 vs 910
I can't speak for the 310, but I love my 910. I really like the swim metrics and having it count laps in the pool.

Both watches can be used on a treadmill, if you have the foot pod it will also track your distance and cadence.
2013-08-22 1:28 PM

User image

Pro

Since you already have a running watch, you might go the route of just getting a dedicated bike computer.  Like a Garmin Edge 500/510.

on race day it's nice to have a watch that does all three- but the rest of the year, it's nice to have one that sits for you on your bike and is all set up and ready to go.  having something on your wrist doesn't work as well as having a bike mount.

2013-08-22 1:32 PM

User image

I also am in the market for a HR and compared these 2 devices and I thought the 1 really important feature difference was the Barometric altimeter as this measurement gives your elevation data.

Maybe I'm not remembering corectly, but why wouldn't you want to know your elevation data for your bike climbs etc... do you use a difference device or live in a flat area?
2013-08-23 7:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by LPJmom

I also am in the market for a HR and compared these 2 devices and I thought the 1 really important feature difference was the Barometric altimeter as this measurement gives your elevation data.

Maybe I'm not remembering corectly, but why wouldn't you want to know your elevation data for your bike climbs etc... do you use a difference device or live in a flat area?

For me, I wouldn't care about that. I normally train on flat trails. It's definitely hilly around here but I train via HR and cadence alone and thus anything extra, such as better elevation data, would be a bonus. I was a little worried about doing no hills but during my IM (very hilly), I had a slightly better overall pace than my training pace, so it all worked out it seems.

This week I bought the cadence/speed sensor and hooked my 405 to it. It would be perfect if it weren't for the small small display. I am thinking now that a bike computer might be better as I'm having a hard time seeing me using the 310/910 for swimming. More so since I keep hearing topics on who inaccurate it is, thus sort of making it pointless... I took a look at the manuals for the edge (bike) computers and they offer a lot of interesting things. The 310 is very temping though since it's so much cheaper than a 910 but I guess I'll need to compare edge and a 310 now in what I'm looking for. There's another topic on the general topic right now about 310 vs 910 and everyone says get the 910 but offers no reason why. I was in the same mindset until I compared features and saw hardly anything that was different between the two except the lap swimming and a slightly thinner profile. I don't think that's worth a $210 premium but I guess it is to many people on here.

I was going to jump the gun this week but since my last tri of the season is tomorrow, I think I'll hold off and train with the 405 in dual mode and see what I like and don't like about it and what features I want. For sure I want a bigger screen. Having a separate running and biking computer would be nice since the 310/910 are so dang big. I can wear the 405 around and it just looks like a normal watch. I know size and position of the computer is going to affect my decision. I want something in a semi aero position and not hanging out like an eye sore. I saw a few between aero bar mounts and it looked ok. Arg...decisions...decisions

Edited by Blastman 2013-08-23 7:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin 310 vs 910 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin 310 vs 910

Started by mbare
Views: 2859 Posts: 6

2012-07-26 11:39 AM mshawgo

Course feature on Garmin 910/310

Started by cnsegura
Views: 1324 Posts: 2

2012-04-04 10:12 PM timf79

Polar RCX5 vs Garmin 310 vs Garmin 910

Started by TriathleteNut
Views: 1983 Posts: 1

2012-03-01 1:15 PM TriathleteNut

Garmin 305 VS 310 XT

Started by kocourek
Views: 3761 Posts: 16

2010-07-18 11:55 PM dcrainmaker

Another Garmin 305 vs 310 thread

Started by IMHusker
Views: 705 Posts: 6

2010-01-27 2:11 PM merlin2375
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.
date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : May 1, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on periodization, tubular vs clinchers, swimming cadence, 650's vs 700's, plan priority, RAAM after double IM and swim training before race day.