General Discussion Race Reports! » Keystone State Triathalon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Keystone State Triathalon - Sprint Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lewisbury, Pennsylvania
United States
Trimax Endurance Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 7s
Overall Rank = 6/96
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4:30, went for a jog, stretched, ate breakfast, read the paper, relaxed. Got to race location around 7:00. Only middle spots left in the transition. No big deal because I'm a strong swimmer so would be out before most of the crowd.
Event warmup:

Jogged around for a bit, stretched, relaxed
Swim
  • 11m 8s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a little chaotic of a swim because we started in the middle of the 2nd lap of the women's Olympic heat. Got out good ahead of most of the wave. Sight to first buoy was pretty good. Made the first turn and all I had was Sun to my left side (my dominant breathing side). looking into the sun then trying to sight the buoy was tough. Made the last turn and then sighting was impossible. Directly into the sun. I used the people in front of me as a guide where I could and eventually made it to shore.
What would you do differently?:

Tinted/polarized goggles. Practice sighting.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

12th fastest Transition. But it should have been faster. Had issues with my helmet and couldn't get it on. Eventually realized that one of the straps was twisted in with some of the hard plastic framing. Got that untangled and headed out of transition. Realized my jersey wasn't zipped. Struggled to get it zipped.

Get a pullover top jersey for riding, double check helmet
Bike
  • 57m 16s
  • 18.2 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off rough. Got out of transition and had the Jersey issue. Started biking and was waiting for my computer to start registering -- nothing. Stopped biking and started messing with the sensor -- it must have gotten bumped in transit. Eventually got it working but who knew how much time got lost. Very frustrating. Took off angry going about 22 miles an hour up hill.

The course was hilly, which I was nervous about but apparently my daily training with hills in my area have paid off. Found myself cruising past people on the uphills effortlessly. Even passing on the downhills because I had practiced pushing those as well. Flats are definitely my weak point and found myself getting passed there. Felt good and felt like I could have gone for another lap.

Check gear ahead of time a little better. Get a jersey that doesnt need to zip. Still need work getting into and out of the clips.
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

I'm not sure how this could have been any better. Fastest transition by 8 seconds in the whole field.

Nothing.
Run
  • 21m
  • 3.2 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Totally unprepared for a loose terrain trail run. For starters not the best shoes for the conditions. I felt good out of the start and was hoping for splits, but nothing in the way of marking. I tried to push but with all the turns you couldn't see anyone ahead of you -- that's usually what I use as my motivation to keep moving. Had some issues with the running because I had my bike jersey on since I attached my number to it.

need to get something better than the bike jersey to run in . If it is a hidden course like that I need to check it out ahead of time.
Post race
Warm down:

None really. Stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe just some sighting issues with the running

Event comments:

Gorgeous setting, relaxing environment. Had a great time

Last updated: 2013-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:08 | 880 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 7/96
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:57:16 | 18.2 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 16/96
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly. With one nasty hill
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:00 | 03.2 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 6/96
Course: Trail run. small choppy hills, lots of turns, mostly gravel
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-27 10:53 AM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Subject: Keystone State Triathalon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Keystone State Triathalon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Keystone State Triathalon - Olympic Course

Started by Mr. October
Views: 1263 Posts: 1

2012-08-27 2:46 PM Mr. October

Keystone State Triathalon - Olympic Course

Started by haight2
Views: 666 Posts: 1

2012-08-26 1:53 PM haight2

Keystone State Triathalon

Started by steel099
Views: 1123 Posts: 1

2011-08-28 6:31 PM steel099

Started by Wildgeneral
Views: 888 Posts: 1

2011-08-28 9:06 AM Wildgeneral

Started by rwolf
Views: 861 Posts: 1

2011-08-27 7:51 PM rwolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.