http://www.hfpracing.com
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 54m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 36-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 2:30. Ate 2 bagels with pbutter / Apricot cliff bar. (too much PB). Mixed my bottles of infinit. Then was too awake to fall back asleep. Lied in bed with eyes closed to 4:15...Beck had left some notes under my door...Madison didnt sleep at all, had big fever..she didnt think they were gonna make it. Packed up stuff, kissed kids goodbye. Headed to race around 5:00am
Event warmup:

Brief ride on bike to make sure gears shifted ok. Put it in easy gear for opening hill. Swam out and back into the waves twice. Saw Coredump and talked with him awhile before our waves went off.
Swim
  • 34m 30s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Start was fine..line up in front and a little north of buouy. No problem with clearing space or the waves. But..sighting was a big problem. After the first bouy..the waves although rollers were causing me a bit of problem. I was on a different line then most of the swimmers which worried me...but i kept on my path..but every now and then had to do a few breastrokes to sight. Then finally as i was halfway between the last buoy and the shore...cramp...Left calf...and it was bad...had to stop, float on my back and tried to stretch it..Everyone is starting to walk out of the water..and im a beached whale on my back, not moving. At this point im worried about making it to shore much less finishing the race. After a minute or sore...it loosened up...only to then deal with the way too long run/walk in the sand to T1..Gave up a few minutes between all this...but just took my time walking through the sand trying to stretch it out more while everyone else blew by me.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting more in open water
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Suit took a while to get off on my left leg...was being very careful not to trigger another spasm...it was painful as it was.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 54s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Took about 40 min for HR to get down into 130's. Goal was 135-140 range. AS in previous TRI's the swim-bike transition has been the hardest. Took it really easy (despite the HR) because of my leg..Took water, and gel in first 30 min..Then hit the infinit. By about 40-60 min mark..felt good and hr had come down...and tried to pick up pace a bit..But anytime i did, leg would tighten a bit...Just decided to stay in comfortable zone...Finished 2 gels and 2 bottles of 300 cal infinit in first 2 hrs. Stomach was ok...then tried the infinit on coure----HORRIBLE..way too sweet..just took in water the rest of way.

Practice more transitions..maybe warm up on the bike before triathlons
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Nothing major...started to look for wife and kids coming into T2.. Didnt seem them..Looked for them at T2..didnt see them. Looked for them coming out of T2--didnt see them...then realized it was going to be long run.
Run
  • 2h 17m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, started out around 9:30 pace...HR was settling into low Z2. Left calf was holding up ok..Used my hand bottle with my own infinit--but too warm and ditched it at mile 3. Tried some of theirs (infinit)-(horrible), instead used water and ultimatley one gel for the whole run..As the run went on, physically i wore down. After the first loop, my left calf was getting twitchy and my right knee started to hurt. I noticed my HR was dropping and was having trouble keeping up a pace that kept it in zone 2. By mile 9 or 10..walked a minute or so...Started to stretch out the walks at the aid stations. Also weird diffuse cramps started to develop in stomach all over...I probably would have tried some more gels and that point for fuel but too scared with my stomach. Mentally...questioned what im doing..In pain, and worried about the kids. Pissed off that I obviously didnt train enough for this and what a joke to be thinking of IMWI next year. Finally toward the finish, saw beck and the kids. Put on a little spring to the end.

More LSD runs.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked over to grass and waited for Beck and the kids to make their way. Tried a little food but nothing too appealing. Just packed up stuff and walked (slowly) with family to cars..Madsion looked horrible with his fever..and we just wanted to get back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Cramp/muscle spasm during swim..
2. Long time to warm up on bike.
3. Not enough LSD runs!!
4. Mental focus!

Event comments:

Overall, first half done..met goal time of under 6 hrs. But i really need to figure out what i want to do with triathlons. Do i really want to "go long" or is it better for "balance" to stick with olympic distance. Still thinking about that one.

Last updated: 2006-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:30 | 1931 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 29/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: QR quickjohn (armless, but with legs)
Course: Point to point. Straight out to first bouy, the right turn (south) along shoreline and then around last buouy and in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:56:54 | 56 miles | 18.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop course...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:17:53 | 13.1 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: 6 mile loop. No real hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-24 9:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: Spirit of Racine

2006-07-24 9:38 PM
in reply to: #491950

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine
Jeremy,

It was great to meet you and your family Saturday night. Congrats on finishing the race despite the cramping issue. Sounds like you gutted it out pretty well. Don't get down, IMWI 2007 is still the goal. You can make it, just don't give up. Good luck with the rest of your racing season.

Mark
2006-07-24 11:24 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Jeremy, I have to second every word that my "better half" said.  There is lots of time between now and IMWI  07 to train..and it isn't as if you did badly!  I know what you mean about "balance" though...sometimes I think the exact same thing.  Then I go and sign up for another HIM...wonder what the heck I'm doing....then do it all over again.  I believe there is a word for that..."addiction" comes to my mind....

You have to do what's right for your life at the moment.  I'll probably get kicked out of the forum for this, but there's no shame is sticking with Olys and Sprints and putting off your long distance race goals until it's the right time for you.  (See I can say that 'cuz I'm putting it off until I'm done with school   )

I sure hope Madison is feeling better!

2006-07-25 8:20 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, WI USA
Good job in the race. You overcame that cramp in the swim and finished (did you see the number that did not). Wish I could swim like you cramp and all! Mentally, stick with it. I am not a good swimmer and in my first oly earlier this year totally freaked out, nearly got out of the water and gave up all tris. I breast stroked a third of the swim until finally able to calm down. Finished the oly, and can now say I finished a half and feel pretty good about IMOO this year. I am soooo glad I didn't climb out of the water that day, and man, I was really close! You can do IM next year if that is what you want, you just did half of one!!
2006-07-26 7:30 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Super job of overcoming the cramps. I would trade for your swim split over mine ( I had sighting problems also). I wouldn't give up on your IM WI dream. If you've done a HIM its just a matter of putting in the hours in the coming year. Good luck with the rest of your season.
2006-07-26 7:45 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
congrats on finishing your first HIM! i don't think its a joke to still be looking at IMWI next year. i have been having the same thoughts, what i did wrong more than what i did right. look at that list of DNS/DNF and remember that you finished...and in good time too! enjoy this accomplishment for what it is, even if things were not exactly what you expected (and trust me that i'm having a hard time practicing what i preach, but i'm working on it!). i wasn't even thinking about doing IMWI, but now i know i can finish a HIM, i know IMWI is a possibility. might be hard and slow and maybe painful, but it is doable. just like with my first sprint and first oly, i wanted to finish this baby, and next time it will be easier, faster, etc.! think of all you have learned for the next time around! plus, if we both do IMWI next year, e and m can play!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Rss Feed