General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS practice. Somebody yelling for help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-09 8:08 AM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: OWS practice. Somebody yelling for help
GREAT question.

Welcome to the rock and hardplace situation.
After reading in detail it seems the person was coherent and it was a leg cramp, not a drowning situation. If you feel and cannot NOT help then proceed VERY CAREFULLY. If you can have a conversation with the person you should be ok-but be prepared to take a breath and swim to the bottom. PS if they can call for help they can breathe. A conversation will do wonders, triathletes swim all the time without their legs (assuming this is where the cramp was).

Otherwise:
1. DONT "help", you will become a ladder and there is no up there is only down for you.
2. If your grabbed suck in as much air as possible quickly and try and swim to the bottom, instinct in a drowning victim is up not down they WILL let go.
3. Offer something that floats-that isnt attached to you either, they'llclimb that too and "ride" you.
4. If you can swim BEHIND them go for the full nelson and breaststroke kick to safety.
5. Wait for them to pass out then flip them face up and swim them to safety.
6. Lastly DONT BE AFRAID to become violent. 2 victims cant help anyone.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS practice. Somebody yelling for help Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

OWS sighting practice/drills help

Started by thoover74
Views: 1350 Posts: 12

2011-08-16 3:20 PM b2673ad

How much OWS practice?

Started by Finley
Views: 1825 Posts: 17

2008-02-07 2:17 PM BellinghamSpence

Practicing for an OWS

Started by ATXtri
Views: 773 Posts: 2

2007-07-17 6:06 PM mikep

Practicing OWS in Phoenix AZ

Started by mikeg123
Views: 990 Posts: 6

2006-07-13 10:19 PM Casey Shaw

OWS Practice - am I forgetting anything?

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 877 Posts: 5

2006-06-18 10:58 PM BodyCheck
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : June 27, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Questions and answers on sleeve vs sleeveless wetsuits, benefits of bilateral breathing and practicing it, technique drills, sighting practice, paddle use, weight training and flip turn help.
date : March 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on hand entry, common triathlete training mistakes, the best swim drills, useful swim tools and flip turn help.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.

date : June 5, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 8
When I swim I struggle to get a full breath and consequently run down faster. I spend part of my training on the side of the pool gasping for air.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Your help is needed to keep BT the best of the best.