General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Monster Dash vs. Prairie State 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-08 6:16 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Chicago Monster Dash vs. Prairie State 1/2 Marathon
Hi BTers...

After today's long run, I am thinking about my first half marathon before the end of this year. I live in the NW suburbs of Chicago (Arlington Heights). The ones I can considering are the Prairie State (http://www.allcommunityevents.com/fall_marathon/psm_home.html) and Chicago Monster Dash (http://www.chicagomonster.org/).

I am wondering if anyone has done either of these, has any comments, thoughts/suggestions about which would be better for a first 1/2, are they well organized, race swag, etc.

The Prairie State 1/2 is run on crushed limestone while the Chicago one is along the lakefront (exact route TBD). I have been doing most of my training on streets and Busse Woods path so I am have some concern about switch surfaces to crushed limestone.

Thanks!

2013-09-08 9:32 PM
in reply to: sdienhart

User image

Subject: RE: Chicago Monster Dash vs. Prairie State 1/2 Marathon
I really wouldn't worry about running on the limestone vs. pavement. I would maybe worry if it was the other way around but your legs will probably feel fresher then they would otherwise on the limestone IMO. I think that actually sounds pretty nice. If I was going to do the Madison Half in November I would maybe consider doing it just for that reason.
2013-09-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: Tootshibbard

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Chicago Monster Dash vs. Prairie State 1/2 Marathon
I did the Prairie State 1/2 a few years ago and enjoyed it. Easy to get to to, easy to leave, decent crowd support, not too large, and I liked the limestone portion of the run since it was easy on the feet/knees. Would definitely recommended.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chicago Monster Dash vs. Prairie State 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Monster Dash

Started by BAMBAM66
Views: 877 Posts: 1

2011-10-13 11:44 AM BAMBAM66

Tri Monster or other Tri clubs in Chicago

Started by Wolfofautumn
Views: 2763 Posts: 3

2010-10-10 9:55 PM Belize breeze

Monster Dash Half Marathon

Started by rjhall
Views: 1341 Posts: 4

2010-09-14 6:24 PM rjhall

TRAINING for Pleasant Prairie & Chicago Triathlons

Started by Steve-
Views: 1225 Posts: 1

2009-05-24 11:18 PM Steve-

Chicago Tri/Chicago Marathon

Started by Decatur217
Views: 2235 Posts: 13

2009-05-15 4:33 PM JustRunFaster
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2012
author : WIRachuba
comments : 1
On a rocky (concrete) path to the stars. A cautionary tale of how to get hooked on Triathlons

date : February 29, 2012
author : sarals
comments : 0
Unforeseen challenges make for a compelling race.
date : September 30, 2011
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!