General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
West Windsor, New Jersey
United States
CGI Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 32m 22s
Overall Rank = 550/569
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 73/73
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00, had cereal and packed up water and Gatorade
Swim
  • 54m 45s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

VERY BAD swim. I knew after my Sprint at the end of June I would be pushing it for a distance this long, but I wanted to give it a try. I could not get into a good rhythm, I kept stopping and restarting everytime some one passed me, which was often. I did not panic but I also realized that panic was not far off. I struggled to keep my cool and finish the swim and I did.
What would you do differently?:

There's gonna be a lot of swim training this for the next 12 months. I am going to come back and kick that swim's a$$.
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

This was a pretty good T1 for me especially after a demoralizing swim.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 47s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.99 mile/hr
Comments:

For me this was a pretty good pace. This is my first OLY race and while I was passed much more than I passed others I felt I did well here. Not bad for only 2 months of training with the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

T2 went well, everything was laid out for a pretty smooth transition.
Run
  • 1h 04m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't walk. One of my goals for this race was not to walk any of the run and I didn't. I had a good sprint at the end, even passed a 20 year old guy. I love when the crowd cheers you on.
What would you do differently?:

Try to puch myself a little harder. I am thinking that strong sprint at the end means I could have given a little more to the overall run.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some warm water and packed up

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The short amount of training I did this year. I will train for the next 12 months and come back and really attack that course

Event comments:

During my hour in the water I almost gave up on the race and tri's in general. But I just kept moving forward little by little. I didn't want to go home having given up. When I reflected on the race overall I had to remember I have only really been training 2-3 months. I have never played organized sports and most of the last 20 years has been quite sedentary. Before the race I had planned to tri for a half IM before my 40th birthday next year. Now I think it would be wiser to keep working out with the sprints and attack the OLY course next year. I don't want to push the distance just to finish in the back of the pack. I want to improve my performance before I add distance. I have a sprint coming up this Sunday and I plan to attack that one. I did not give up on that swim and I will not give up on trathlons. Thanks to all for your support.

Last updated: 2006-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:45 | 1640 yards | 03m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 557/569
Performance: Bad
Suit: Zoot Tri Suit
Course: 1500 metere out and back
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:39
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:27:47 | 24.85 miles | 16.99 mile/hr
Overall: 533/569
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Around the park twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:11 | 06.21 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 528/569
Performance: Good
Course: Mickey Mouse ears. A lot of out and backs. I liked that so you got a chance to see some people in front of you and behind you. Triathletes are so encouring to each other it was great.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-25 8:06 AM

User image

Regular
Cranford, NJ
Subject: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2006-07-25 10:19 AM
in reply to: #492233

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Just read your report and I wanted to say great job for training for only 2-3 months. Start to up your distance a little on the bike training and make a commitment to get in the water 3-4 times a week....you will see huge results across the board. Also, if you add just a little more volume to your training you should have no problem at all completing a Half IM.

Good luck in your sprint this weekend. Just remember it's supposed to hurt a little bit. You can rest when the race is over.
2006-07-27 4:54 PM
in reply to: #492233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great job man!!! way to stick it out and finish! I hate when people just drop out when the race isn't going their way. Bummer about the tough swim, but no worries I had one too! Good luck this weekend and keep on training!

Shanks
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey State Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed