General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic next week / Need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-14 2:37 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Olympic next week / Need advice
Guys,
I need some veteran guidance. I am getting ready to run my 3rd Triathlon this year (the other 2 were sprints) next week on Sunday (lake swim). I have been unable to get in the pool and train like i had for the other two events the last one took place in July. I have been in the pool twice since the last event, however I have been able to run and bike (feel comfortable riding 30 miles and running 6miles). Today I figured I would test myself with the swim distance and was able to complete 1600meters non stop (combination of breast/free) in 43mins. I feel good knowing the distance is attainable however I'm still debating just skipping the event and putting the time in the pool the coming 2 months before my final race in november. I do not want to be top of my age group or anything like that for this coming race, just want to finish and get my 1st Olympic out of the way to push for the final race (miamiman) in november.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2013-09-14 2:41 PM
in reply to: marmick1775

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: Olympic next week / Need advice
I guess I don't understand the question. Why would you skip it? Because you haven't trained properly you want to punish yourself? If you proved you can do the distance, and only care about finishing.... I assume you've already paid for the event... Just do it. Sure, it's going to hurt, but use it as a learning experience and enjoy the race day.
2013-09-14 3:31 PM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Since I don't really get what you are trying to ask in your post I'm going to assume you are experiencing some pre-race nerves. Don't let your anxiety get the best of you.

You can do the distance so go out and have fun.

Learn from the experience and you will feel so much more confident come November!
2013-09-14 4:29 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

New user

My question was essentially, if you feel that you haven't trained enough but you feel you can do this distance, should you just go for it. This is only my 3rd race ever and yes I am feeling some pre race jitters, considering i've never done this race distance.

Thanks for the input. Just needed someone else's perspective.

2013-09-14 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4855625

Malvern, PA
Just do it.
2013-09-14 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by marmick1775 My question was essentially, if you feel that you haven't trained enough but you feel you can do this distance, should you just go for it. This is only my 3rd race ever and yes I am feeling some pre race jitters, considering i've never done this race distance. Thanks for the input. Just needed someone else's perspective.

Do you have anything else about the swim that's making you nervous?  How did you do with the OWS in the other two tris?  Is this race going to be a mass start, wave start, TT? Do you feel OK about the lots of other people around you part?

If you feel OK about these things and the distance, then I think you should do it. It feels good to just get one under your belt so you know what it's all about.  However, if you have serious reservations about the swim, it would be a good idea to hold and get both pool and OWS time before your November race.  The 1500m oly swim is no joke, and it's really OK to look at your training and say, I'm not ready for this yet if you don't feel ready:)

2013-09-14 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I stayed at Holiday Inn last night, so you should listen to my advice.

If your comfortable with the distance, do it, 

2013-09-14 6:09 PM
in reply to: Justin86

User image

Bronze member

Agree with the others, unless you are completely exhausted when you complete that length of a swim. I don't know, did you feel like you could go farther or were you totally wiped out after that?

I raced an Oly this summer but instead of an under trained swim I had an under trained run. I knew it was going to be a slog and possibly hurt a little but I'm happy I did it.

Another option is maybe you could find someone to race as a team with you and complete the swim while you bike and run?

2013-09-14 6:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Mission Viejo,
Sounds like you're looking for an excuse NOT to go race. Great idea: go do the race, then spend the next 2 months in the pool getting ready for the next one. Make the goal for this race to complete it, have fun and gain some valuable race knowledge that will help you end the season strong!
2013-09-14 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by marmick1775

My question was essentially, if you feel that you haven't trained enough but you feel you can do this distance, should you just go for it. This is only my 3rd race ever and yes I am feeling some pre race jitters, considering i've never done this race distance.

Thanks for the input. Just needed someone else's perspective.

In the 6+ years I've been racing I've NEVER felt 100% about my training in the days leading up to the race.
2013-09-14 8:58 PM
in reply to: JZig

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

Originally posted by JZig
Originally posted by marmick1775 My question was essentially, if you feel that you haven't trained enough but you feel you can do this distance, should you just go for it. This is only my 3rd race ever and yes I am feeling some pre race jitters, considering i've never done this race distance. Thanks for the input. Just needed someone else's perspective.
In the 6+ years I've been racing I've NEVER felt 100% about my training in the days leading up to the race.

lot of wisdom in these words.

just do the race.  a race will be better than any training day you would do in place of it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Olympic next week / Need advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Olympic Next Week

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 460 Posts: 2

2010-11-21 4:50 PM Canadian_Flo

Sort of did a my first Sprint yesterday next in 2 weeks need training advice

Started by PlaywithZoe
Views: 667 Posts: 4

2009-08-03 11:00 PM PlaywithZoe

One week to first OLY - Advice needed

Started by boneyBP
Views: 1153 Posts: 9

2008-08-31 2:10 PM smoom

Taking the next step, need advice....

Started by texmom
Views: 1022 Posts: 8

2008-04-17 10:34 AM KSH

3 Days a Week to Train and Needing Advice

Started by wallstreetdude68
Views: 1640 Posts: 20

2006-12-30 7:42 AM jwright44
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2012
author : suebum74
comments : 4
Why do triathletes need a recovery week and why do we feel so bad during it?

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : July 19, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This training plan has only 2 workouts per sport per week and peaks at 7.5 hours per week of training. Use this plan if you are time constrained or if you want to focus more on your family.
date : October 24, 2005
author : Team BT
This training plan allows you to add two days of strength training to any other plan

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is around 11 hours.
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.