View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Keene, New Hampshire
United States
Total Time = 4h 24m 23s
Overall Rank = 233/410
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 24/56
Pre-race routine:

Came into this race with pretty tired legs from last weekends Spartan Beast at Killington, VT. Spartan was saturday, september 21. I did an easy run / walk sunday for 30mins to shake out legs. Monday was very tight and did not run, but tried to get in really easy short runs on Tuesday - Thursday. Foam roller and stretching each night helped a bit, along with a bike spinout on Wednesday. Friday I ran at lunch to shake out the legs and to get 5miles in. But my right hip did not like the run much. Had a massage at 5pm so had her work out the hip for me. So to say I was a bit nervous about running a marathon 8 days post Spartan is an understatement.

Researched some advice on long run training for Ultras and found a bunch of information on run/walk techniques.
Event warmup:

Drove to race from CT with Amy day of. Parked at finished and took bus to start. Day of packet pickup was key for us doing this race and driving day of. Packets were available right at the start line and really quick to take care of. They also had a bag drop for morning clothes that worked out well so we could throw our race shirts and rest of gear in one bag to be picked up at finish. Plenty of porto-pots at bus drop off. Then walked the 1/4-1/2mile to the start. Race started 5 mins late due to a late bus arrival. Stood in the sunlight to stay warm
Run
  • 4h 24m 23s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Started with running jacket on over my Betty tri top due to cold temps and forgetting my arm warmers in the car. Kept on until the hill after mile 3. Then took it off and put it around waist. Had talked it over with Amy on the drive up that we were going to do a run/walk to help with our sore legs and practice for JFK 50. Most recommend a 10min / 1min or 5min/1min. But I knew that would be really mentally tough for us to do so we decided on a 2mile / 1min strategy as the water stops were about every 2miles for the first 16miles. Found some people to chat with along the way, including a man that was doing the race for the 28th straight year. First walk break was tough to mentally do for first one, but we did it and only lost about 50-75 yards on the group of runners we were with. As the race went on it seemed we lost less and less distance on people and tend to stay with or pass them. We eventually got to a point around mile 20 were we continually were passing people and did not see them again. We stayed with the walk/run strategy with the exception of the hills in the cemetery, where we walked.

Only complaint about the entire race was that there were not port-o-pots on the race course. We lost about 2mins due to woods stop, but otherwise ok.

Nutrition 2 GUs, 1 bag chomps and 1/2 banana. Ate every 45mins and drank only water for first half, then started mixing in half water / half gatorade around mile 18. Sports legs 45mins prior to start and 2hrs into race
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a training run. We tried out a new run/walk technique and practiced nutrition.

This ended up being a great race/training day that resulted in a new marathon PR for Amy. This speaks volumes to her fitness level, as she was not even walking normal until Friday and had a head cold on top of it. We also did not even try to push the pace and kept it conversational the entire time. Several people commented on out run/walk process and how they could not keep up with us when they were running the entire time.
Post race
Warm down:

Has some veggie soup and drinks before heading to showers. Then drove home.

Event comments:

This race is wonderful and for a small race out does most of the large races i have done. I would highly recommend this race for the scenery, course, volunteers, race organizers... and most likely will be back in future years to do it again.

Last updated: 2013-09-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:24:23 | 26.2 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/56
Overall: 0/410
Performance:
Course: point to point race from Gilsum to Keene. Included out and back over the Surry Mountain Dam, lots of great quiet NH roads, on a rails to trails section, thru a cemetery and finishing at Keene State College. This was one of the most beautiful course I have ever run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-09-30 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: Clarence DeMar Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clarence DeMar Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Marathon Makeover Marathon and Half Marathon

Started by kvesey
Views: 1680 Posts: 2

2010-10-12 8:50 PM ebshot

Coeur d'Alene Marathon/1/2 Marathon (Run - Half Marathon) 5 k

Started by dbdutro
Views: 1481 Posts: 1

2009-05-25 11:32 PM dbdutro

St. Jude Marathon/Half-Marathon

Started by tbone
Views: 1177 Posts: 3

2004-12-06 5:22 PM tbone

Seattle Marathon Half Marathon

Started by teechur
Views: 1571 Posts: 3

2004-11-30 9:20 AM slow&steady

Space Coast Marathon & Half Marathon

Started by cameronw
Views: 1904 Posts: 1

2003-12-16 10:02 AM cameronw
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area