General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking in Del Mar - Hwy 56 Bike path questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-01 7:53 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Biking in Del Mar - Hwy 56 Bike path questions
Hello everyone!
Going to Del Mar with the family for Fall Break and want to use the time to get some rides in. I'm interested in trying the 56 Bike path but have some questions...

I've read about where to get on the path from Del Mar, but haven't been able to find any specifics as to where it really ends (inland).

How many miles out and back (starting from the park in Del Mar)

There are some interesting loops I've found on Mapmyride, but wondering about the condition of the roads...bike lanes, lots of traffic?

I would love to do a couple rides in the 30-40 mile range.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Susan

2013-10-01 10:17 PM
in reply to: runspingirl

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Biking in Del Mar - Hwy 56 Bike path questions
Others here might have much more specific information, but when I train in an unfamiliar location I usually scout the route using google maps. Using the satellite feature you can usually see exactly where and how the path travels. I'll also use strava for ideas what might make a good route.

For mileages, there is an excellent route planner on this site (Training Log -> My Routes)

The unknown is part of the fun of training someplace new. Have fun!
2013-10-02 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
If you start near the western end, Ride to the western most end (No direct access to the extreme end of the path)
then ride to the eastern end and back to where you started its an 18mi loop.

There are three places where you have to stop and cross on grade level and if your from flatland you may find it hilly.

There is also a flatter 18 mil trail up in oceanside near the 76, only 1 grade level crossing (not actually a crossing, but 0.2mi in a neighborhood)

There is a lot of bike traffic on pacific coast highway from the del mar area all the way to Oceanside.

Also a nice path up in Camp Pendelton that goes along old hwy 1 and some campground, again about 10 miles out and 10 back...

I'm not familiar with anything south of the 56 (does't mean its not good, just not my backyard)

2013-10-02 6:45 PM

User image

Regular
I actually just biked it today. If you go all the way east and back (east it turns into Ted Williams Parkway and technically isn't the bike path anymore) it's roughly 25 miles round trip. I guess you can consider the "bike path proper" to be up to Rancho Penasquitos. It's pretty well paved, a few cracks here and there. Somewhat hilly (although not steep) going east, and obviously mostly downhill going west. Depending on the time of day (and day of week) you will encounter other cyclists and runners.
2013-10-03 9:44 AM

Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks everyone !! Really appreciate the info! Will look into the other options as well! Excited to bike in some different areas.
2013-10-03 6:33 PM

User image

You will have a blast cycling in San Diego. As you've maybe heard, the weather is almost always perfect! Yes, there is a lot of traffic, but there also lots of cyclists out everyday so cars seem generally aware of sharing the road.

Here is a great list of rides from a local coaching company, Slow Step Cycling. There are some excellent options, especially if you have access to a car: http://www.slowstepcycling.com/the-rides/

My personal recommendation is to not leave town without riding the Great Western Loop. It is a true gem.

Enjoy!
Lars

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Biking in Del Mar - Hwy 56 Bike path questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

56 mile bike training question for you pros...

Started by lbkironman
Views: 5796 Posts: 20

2010-05-31 2:03 PM AdventureBear

Battery on the bike path

Started by tcovert
Views: 2015 Posts: 18

2009-04-05 7:34 PM jonmetz

bumps in the bike path... and my wheels :(

Started by pigfinn
Views: 1402 Posts: 9

2007-03-27 12:44 AM cadreamer

Denver/Highlands Ranch, CO area bike paths -- away from traffic -- extended distances

Started by jeffreyk
Views: 1342 Posts: 2

2006-04-30 1:12 PM velocomp

Bike Paths

Started by David14
Views: 712 Posts: 6

2005-07-23 9:29 AM David14
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.

date : August 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Are you traveling to a race and need to ship your bike? This video will demonstrate how to disassemble your bike to be able to pack it properly in a bike case for shipping.
date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.

date : July 30, 2006
author : Valdora Cycles
comments : 8
The triathlon bike vs. road bike quandary. Before you even ask the road bike vs. tri bike question, you should have a couple sprint triathlons or duathlons under your belt.