World Triathlon Corporation
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 14m 28s
Overall Rank = 1747/3341
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 83/222
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 took my time getting ready, left the hotel by 5:00. The hubby dropped me off by transition around 5:30. During the drive to transition I ate my oatmeal.

After getting everything set up in transition, I rode the bus to the the swim start and met up with my hubby and a BT friend, Billy.

Around 7:00 I ate a banana and around 7:30 I was eating bits of a cliff bar.
Event warmup:

No warmup as there was a lot of standing around waiting.
Swim
  • 27m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

This year due to the current being so strong we had to start from the dock (jump in). There was 27 waves and I was in wave 17, I was able to watch others and notice that you could get in the water while waiting for the start as long as you held on to the dock, so that is what I did.

As I was waiting I was talking to a coach and I was asking his opinion on where one should line up and he recommended on the outside as those in the middle have to fight for position. So I lined up in the middle as I wanted to feel what it was like to fight for position. (practice for IMAZ in 7 weeks).

I felt real good in the swim, didn't have to stop and caught my breath, ran into a few other swimmers but nothing major to mess up my stroke. Half way through I notice I was passing people in the wave ahead of me and then 2 waves of ahead of me. Just when I thought I was having an awesome swim someone from the wave behind me passed me.

What would you do differently?:

I probably could have swam faster but it was the first leg, but my thought is with it being the first leg why kill it
Transition 1
  • 05m 3s
Comments:

In practice I was having problems getting my suit off my arms and was really stressing over this, so as soon as I hit land I was working to get my suit off my arms and be ready for the strippers to get it off the rest of the way.

I was the first person on my rack to leave on the bike.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.70 mile/hr
Comments:

With IMAZ coming up in a few weeks, my goal was not to push it but to also see what I could do. During those first 17 miles I had to keep telling myself to not go all out and relax.

For once I didn't put my Garmin on the bike instead I left it on my wrist which meant that I couldn't see my pace or time. I did have it set to beep every 3 miles so I knew when to drink. Whenever I saw a mile marker which was at every 5 miles I ate either half of a payday candy bar or 2 chomps. I never felt tired or bloated, had just the right amount food and drink.

Could have pushed more on the bike but with this being my "B" race I felt I didn't need to.
Transition 2
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

Unfortunately I was not the first one to return my bike on the rack, darn it. Was able to get my running stuff on and then a quick trip to the port a johns and the sunscreen table and off I went.

Not real sure
Run
  • 2h 26m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Things were warming up and it was getting HOT. The goal here was to run to every aid station and then walk thru the water stop. At the 2nd aid station I took a gu and YUCK, I have no clue what flavor it was but it was terrible, and I can handle most gels. Because of that terrible taste in my mouth I didn't want to try another gel, so I was skipping the nutrient on the run.

At each aid station if they had ice, I would put some in my cap to help stay cool as I wasn't seeing sponges. Once I started the 2nd loop, my right foot toes started to cramp up so badly that it was hard to run on. I would only walk enough to get the toes straighten out and then off I would run again till it happened again. Found an aid station with a banana so I grabbed one in hopes that would help but I knew it was too late. The last few miles I was really struggling with the toe cramping, however I managed to push through it.

I felt really good going into the run so I wonder if my nutrient on the run caused the toe cramping. I didn't eat as much as I had planned because of that first gel. For some reason I just tend not to eat much on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked straight to the food line and got some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Toe cramps and the warm temperatures

Last updated: 2013-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:29 | 2112 yards | 01m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/222
Overall: 836/3341
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeve
Course: The swim is a pretty straight forward swim, you jump in and swim straight to the swim finish. They had 8 yellow buoys and then 8 orange buoys and they were numbered so you could figure out how far along you were if you wanted to.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:09:52 | 56 miles | 17.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/222
Overall: 1708/3341
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Single loop. The first 17 miles are flat and fast, then you have about 7 miles on an incline but the road is bumpy, then the hills appear, and then the last 10 miles are flat and fast.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:26:59 | 13.1 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/222
Overall: 0/3341
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop course with lots of opportunity for family to see you. If you are one of the later ones on the course it can get quiet as people are no longer hanging out on the course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-10-03 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2013-10-03 11:09 PM
in reply to: #4870332

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Awesome job!!!

Good luck in IM in 7 weeks!
2013-10-05 10:12 PM
in reply to: #4870332

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Nice job out there! It's hard not to push it during a race, even if you have an A race a few weeks later...Kudos for keeping your race under control and not racing too hard! Have a great IMAZ!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by Jeepguy2358
Views: 4161 Posts: 19

2009-10-05 2:23 PM tahrens

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by green_sea_urchin
Views: 3039 Posts: 7

2009-10-02 10:28 PM 3daywknd

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by ironlib
Views: 3435 Posts: 14

2009-10-03 6:47 PM Slave Diver

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by PerpetualEndurance
Views: 2951 Posts: 9

2009-09-28 11:46 AM ironlib

Ironman 70.3 Augusta

Started by FlyingTiger
Views: 2962 Posts: 9

2009-10-07 5:39 PM Swank guy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.