General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2014-08-02 10:12 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
Originally posted by Fred D

So when do we start on speculating about the weather? ;-)

That and becoming super germaphobic. I want to wear one of those face masks for the next 2 weeks.

2014-08-04 8:38 AM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread
I'm done, let the taper begin! Finished off the big training with a 96 mile ride. I was hoping to get a 100 miler in but the weather here in NY was uncertain and we wound up having a delayed start. Still it was a great ride and a good way to finish off the big trainer for IMMT. I can't believe I've been at it for 7 months but I'm relieved to be done with it. Only 12 more days to go, seems like this day would never arrive and it is almost upon us. Hope everyone had a great weekend of training. Stay healthy and committed we are almost there.
2014-08-04 10:20 AM
in reply to: strikyr

Light weekend of training for me. My body is very tired - alot of stuff going on in my house and at work, so I'm trying to balance everything and it's starting to take a toll. This week, my training focus is on sleep. I will do some light runs, indoor bike rides and a few swims, but not too much.

As for bib number - I'm #1800.

Man, race day is getting close....
2014-08-04 5:01 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
So I need some help with a little freak out moment I am having....

Earlier this summer, my seat post started to slip and fall down while I would ride. Turns out, I needed a new clamp from Trek, it was ordered and put on and boom, no more issues. I was able to complete CAC and several other long bike rides without it slipping down. Fast forward to this weekend and I noticed over the course of my 3hr ride that my seat post started sliding down again. I took it to the bike shop today and they didn't think I needed another clamp, so all they did was add grip tape, re-set the height and torqued it.

I am worried that this is going to happen on race day and put me in a REALLY bad spot. I know I will never finish if I have to constantly get off the bike and adjust the height. I plan on some rides this week and next but I wanted to see from those who have done the race before, when they have bike mechanics on site, do you think this is the kind of thing they can help with? Any bike shops in town that could do work before race day? I am hoping nothing happens and the seat did not move too much but still, this close its freaking me out!!

OK, time to go drink a beer and try not to think about it...Hopefully we have good weather race day
2014-08-04 6:55 PM
in reply to: dmbfan4life20

User image

Expert
Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Earlier this summer, my seat post started to slip and fall down while I would ride. Turns out, I needed a new clamp from Trek, it was ordered and put on and boom, no more issues. I was able to complete CAC and several other long bike rides without it slipping down. Fast forward to this weekend and I noticed over the course of my 3hr ride that my seat post started sliding down again. I took it to the bike shop today and they didn't think I needed another clamp, so all they did was add grip tape, re-set the height and torqued it.

I am worried that this is going to happen on race day and put me in a REALLY bad spot. I know I will never finish if I have to constantly get off the bike and adjust the height. I plan on some rides this week and next but I wanted to see from those who have done the race before, when they have bike mechanics on site, do you think this is the kind of thing they can help with? Any bike shops in town that could do work before race day? I am hoping nothing happens and the seat did not move too much but still, this close its freaking me out!!

OK, time to go drink a beer and try not to think about it...Hopefully we have good weather race day

I hope others can provide the answers your looking for and certainly can understand the worry - but this is something that a bike shop can and will fix. Don't sweat it!
2014-08-04 7:00 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Today was the start of my taper. I enjoyed a rest day and spent about 4 hours on the hammock. It was rough. I'm still exhausted and sore. I hope my body regains the energy it will need during the taper.

Question - I know IMMT is really hilly and I have spent a lot of time riding up hills to make sure I'[m ready. Its one reason why I am super tired and sore. How do people think I should approach my taper? Should I still hit the hills and if I do, how much energy should I put into them. I'm not training with a power meter just keeping an eye on my hr. Suggestions?

Warced people crossing the finish line at IMBoulder. They all looked happy. So shall we!

2014-08-04 10:03 PM
in reply to: bknoyou

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by bknoyou

I've enjoyed reading the posts on this site. Thank you for the information.

I have to admit after seeing the mileage people are putting up I am questioning my training strategy.

Basically 10-12 hrs per week for the past 4 months.

Longest swim so far 3100m, longest bike 70miles, longest run 17 miles.

That being said I just did a 70.3 in just over 5 hrs a couple weeks back. This is the fifth I've done and I typically only train 7-8 hrs per week for these.

So if you see a guy walking the marathon wearing a black tri suit with a Gator drinking a beer on it, that's me, and yes I'll have beer post race.

See you there!

BK

Hey BK,
You and I are on the same training plan!

With 2 little kids and a demanding job, 10-12 hours was the most I could spare, in 3 hour blocks max. So I too only got 1 full distance swim, a bunch of 60 mile rides and the longest run was 20. Did a Half a month ago in 5:30 and felt great. Ever try a 40mph descent with a little headlamp strapped to your forehead and the bugs wizzing by like Star trek warp speed?

But I too was getting a bit freaked seeing our friends here putting up big numbers. So I went out last week and rode 105 miles followed by a 3 mile run to see what the old body would do. Tired of course, and the knees started to hurt but the run felt great, albeit short. But we will do the final 23 miles on guts. Then share a beer at the finish. Cheers.

I'll be in a black and white Tyr suit and orange shoes. Being from Ottawa I was up in Tremblant last week and rode one lap of the course. Its not that bad. Only 2 real hills, the one on the highway and the final climb near the resort. Good luck everyone.

Marius
2014-08-05 6:31 AM
in reply to: maroose

User image

Amherstburg
My game plan is to just enjoy the day.

If I need to pick up the pillons and turn off the lights when I'm done, so be it!

See you guys there.

BK
2014-08-05 9:29 AM
in reply to: bknoyou

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Bib # 2417

2014-08-05 10:12 AM

Originally posted by dmbfan4life20

Matt - don't worry about this. perhaps go see another LBS to be sure. there will be a number of mechanics up at MT too. I would set the seat post where you want it, then put some tape around the post at that point right above the clamp, so if it does slip again (which it shouldn't), you know exactly where to put it back. I'm not a bike mechanic, but torquing it should do the trick.

2014-08-05 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
I'm #726.

2014-08-05 3:28 PM
in reply to: maroose

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-08-05 3:45 PM
in reply to: Qua17

2014-08-05 4:38 PM

Master
Crab Cake City
I cant believe how close we are to race day!
2014-08-06 6:38 AM

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Something about me, Ironman, and bees.......

Last year I got stung by a bee the week before race week.  It got infected and I was on antibiotics before the race.   Last night I was washing my bike getting it ready for dropoff for Tribiketransport and I got stung not once, not twice, but 3 times by some very aggressive bees.  Keeping my fingers crossed for no infection this time.

14 mile run on tap for today

2014-08-06 8:58 AM
in reply to: Birkierunner

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
What's everyone doing for wetsuits? I'm bringing both full & sleeveless. Not sure where to find water temps.

2014-08-06 9:32 AM
in reply to: thedallasceliac

Red Deer, Alberta
Someone posted on FB yesterday the water was 68.7, and it has been dropping slightly over the past few days.

I only have one wetsuit, a full sleeve, and I have temperature control issues (I'm always cold!), so that's what I wear.

Is everyone else getting excited to leave??
2014-08-06 11:49 AM
in reply to: lepfan72

Master
Crab Cake City
I only have a sleeveless wetsuit so hopefully it wont be too cold. Might just wear an extra swim cap underneath if need be.
2014-08-06 3:09 PM

2014-08-06 7:20 PM
in reply to: kalindsey

Bib #1544

Did my last longish training session today. 100km ride at IM effort with 4 mile run brick. Felt good. I did flat for the first time this season though. Hopefully got it out of the way, and I decided to treat the tube change as practice and did it as fast as I could. The only issue is that my tires come off my training rims pretty easy, not so much for my racing wheels, and if it were a race, I would be dealing with sweaty angry hands.

2014-08-06 7:42 PM
in reply to: ImSore

2014-08-07 8:07 AM
in reply to: 0

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
I sort of hope it stays a little cool for race day. I think we'd all benefit from that. I'm planning on using a full sleeved wetsuit for the swim.

Edited by strikyr 2014-08-07 8:07 AM
2014-08-07 10:55 AM
in reply to: strikyr

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
Originally posted by strikyr

I sort of hope it stays a little cool for race day. I think we'd all benefit from that. I'm planning on using a full sleeved wetsuit for the swim.

Not me. I like it warm. Humid too.
2014-08-07 5:25 PM
in reply to: Detroit Dan

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by Detroit Dan

Originally posted by strikyr

Not me. I like it warm. Humid too.

Last year it got pretty warm during the day, I don't remember any humidity though so lets keep that away this year too!
2014-08-09 9:32 AM

Regular
Washington, DC
I'm in Mont-Tremblant for vacation right now and it's stunning. A triathlete's paradise. The IM village is partway set up and I've seen a few athletes around. I ran one loop of the run course today and drove the Chemin Duplessis section of the bike yesterday and all looks awesome! I popped into the lake and I feel I would be totally fine in a sleeveless wetsuit. I am definitely signing up for next year.

If there's anything I can investigate for anyone while I'm here, I'm happy to!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 17

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33812 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9813 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7795 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68433 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf

Ford Ironman World Championship : Official Thread

Started by wieczynski
Views: 5552 Posts: 21

2009-09-30 7:43 PM jinxs68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.

date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.