General Discussion Race Reports! » Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Marlborough, Connecticut
United States
Pig Iron Sports
warmF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 58s
Overall Rank = bad/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Find event. We drove 1 1/2 hrs to get there, I wanted to do a tri and this was the most convenient.
Event warmup:

Ate a couple of PPJ's and just kind or relaxed. Met the crew - Seth, Rob, Dan and others. Got some beginner advice, checked out that my seat hight was good as I was riding the "other bike."
Swim
  • 11m 33s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really great on the first 1/2 of the swim. Went a reasonable pace didn't get kicked passed a few people and sighted pretty well. After that all went to hell! I got about 1/2 way in and couldn't see the finish and started to get trapped in people everywhere. Once that happened, I stopped to tread water and get my bearings and swallowed some water and got very uncomfortable. Once that happened, my HR spiked (it was high to begin with) and I blew up! I finished hard - TOO HARD - and got out of the water. Officially swim was 11:33 but I know I came out of water at 9:33 as I actually remembered to hit my watch, might have been a little faster but that's "close enough for gov't work" for me.
What would you do differently?:

Not blow my self up as it killed the rest of my race!!!
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Ok I was already TOAST. I completely blew my race at the swim and was sitting down putting on my shoes and sox, ETC. I have MTN BIKE shoes that need to lace and that killed me as I had to tie, etc. Also, need contacts as My wife "aka MOM for the day" put my shades on me as I couldn't find them. Oh, yeah, I couldn't breath! Hr was 170 and I like "oh, crap!" Marlborough Man yelled at me not to sit down and to get going and it helped! I know by looking at the time that I got passed by about 40 people on the transition.

Breathe, get my act together better, NOT HAVE MTN bike shoes! Breathe! Not take so much time.
11:31 109 0:47:48 0:59:19 112 0:38:39
Bike
  • 47m 48s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.06 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, so I was toast after the bike! As you come out of T1 there is a small hill which I charged up well. Realized my HR was too high and tried to cruise down the hill for a bit. Did better passed a few people and felt ok. Hit the first couple hills and could not get comfortable, I felt that my peddals weren't in the right spot on my shoes - I have to see what happened and I just wasn't setup right. About 1/2 way down the first long hill, I had just passed a few people when my front break decided it was time to stop! My 28ish mph went to about 10 in a hurry and I waived people by while I pulled over. I tried to monkey with the bike a little and just unhooked the front break. I just had to keep a better head up. Rest of 1st lap was tough as I was unhappy, and as I came to the end of the 1st lap I yelled to the Mrs that we need new bikes! Lap 2 was a little faster - no stop, but just as hard, I need to do much more training in the saddle! Oh and at some point I realized my left hand brake had slipped forward so I was not level on the bars. Yeah, that helped! Passed a few of the winning runners on the way home, but I don't think I passed the winner. Oh, well!

Not die on swim and not push too hard, etc. Make bike is setup better and get a new bike!
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Ok, jumped of bike and tried to run to T2 - wasn't happening, hr blew up on the swim and bike and had to catch my breath. Got to T2 dumped bike, grabed shoes and water bottle. I don't remember tying my shoes, but I must have as they were tied right. Maybe it was MOM, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't as she was pretty far away. Magic happens!
Run
  • 38m 37s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

So this was terrible. I used to run a lot and felt that this would be my best part. At the beginning my legs felt pretty good. No pain, no cramps, and no ill feelings. Got a little confused on the 1st part of the run, lost about 1 min of time (that's what happened when you can't see other runners) some nice guy running the wrong way that I started to follow pointed me in the right direction. After that, it was just bad, bad, bad! Run walk the whole way and HR would not come down. Even walking I couldn't get below 150. At some point I figured my hr was just wrong, but unfortunately, no! Struggled through the run and kept plugging. At one point I saw that my shirt was completely sweat through and I took it off as I felt like I was under a wet blanket. Then, it was too heavy so I almost chucked it in the bushes, but I like it too much. As I came in I gave a good push, which I think kept me from being DFL, although the Mrs. says a few people only did 1 lap of the bike!

Run more, carry more water with me as I tossed my bottle because it was too heavy.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped in the lake to bring my body temp down. Felt great. Went to "awards ceremony" where I was nice and gave away the t-shirt I 1/2 caught. Oh, well, I'm a nice guy. I crashed hard in the car and needed to get some Juice. Mental note need to eat more and get manage blood sugar better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was TOAST! I need to back off on the swim and make sure I have more blood sugar and drink more! My nutrition is definately lacking, and I'll have to start researching that. Easily 1 min on the bike shoes, although I couldn't breathe so that slowed down the tying. Fix bike to make sure it is in better shape! Get a better bike, and not be so hard!

Event comments:

Being near the back of the pack, I didn't see a volunteer on the run except at the end. Very disappointed as I had trouble following the course. Also, there was no water, except for a nice guy and his daughter about 3/4 of a mile in. I didn't think 1:38 was too bad of a time, especially since they say there are typically a lot of beginners and the Mrs. said that people all left posts at 1.5 hrs. Was a little discouraging that the only person I saw between the last person to pass me and the finish line was the Mrs. Oh, well, don't finish almost last. I was so over heated that I couldn't get anywhere and I just couldn't cool down at all! My goal was to finish under 2 hours and given how badly I did, I can easily beat 1 1/2 hour on this course at some point. I finished, which is something to be proud of, but not happy with how I felt!

Last updated: 2006-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:33 | 400 yards | 02m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
hr AVE 167 - MAX 172 - BAD!!!!!
Suit: nOPE
Course: Course was a quick triangle, not too difficult
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:48 | 12 miles | 15.06 mile/hr
Performance:
HR was between 160 and 170 most of the ride- BAD!!!
Wind: Some
Course: Course was much more hilly than expected. I've ridden the 12 mile Danskin loop which I thought was very hard, but it's only 1x and has one big hill! There were a lot more long up's and lond downs.
Road: Rough  Cadence: 80'
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:37 | 03.2 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
HR was WAY TOO HIGH! 160-175
Course: Felt very hilly to me, there were almost no flats until the end and at that point I think a 1% grade would have felt like a mtn.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-07-28 6:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Subject: Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4

2006-07-28 7:04 AM
in reply to: #495741

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4
Hey Adam,
You need to ease up on yourself a little bit! You did great considering this was your first Lake T experience. You had some mishaps which slowed you down this time. But, you will no doubt do better next time.

I am nearsighted too and have concerns about sighting and finding my bike after the swim, too. I just got a pair of TYR optical goggles which come in sort of generic prescriptions ( ie, -2.0, -3.0, -5.0, etc.) I am hoping that these will help me this weekend at Danskin when I have to pick my bike out of 2000+ in the transition area :0.

I had the same swim experience at Lake T the first time I did it. It was a nightmare because I hadnt ever experienced a mass start like that. My experience was much improved the second time out as I knew what to expect.

Sounds like you were nervous and a little out of sorts—perhaps in need of more training, but if this was easy everyone would be doing it.

You showed up. You swam, you biked, you ran. You finished!!

Congrats!
2006-07-28 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Haven, CT
Adam,

You were right, that last push did save you from being DFL. I came up right behind you (your shirt was orange-red, right), was sure I was going to catch you. I turned the corner for the last little hill, and you were gone. Arrrrgh!

Good job on your first!
2006-07-28 10:07 AM

User image

Expert
Adam,

Nice to meet you and the wife. It is a fun but can be deceiving course. You did great for a first effort stick with it and i hope to see you there again!

2006-07-28 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hey, great job man!

Sounds like it was a rough course... but mentall you hung in there! Be proud!

Oh, if you can't SEE well enough to find your bike...why not buy a decorative helium ballon to tie to/by it? You will probably see that floating in the air, and if you buy one of those "silver" ones... it will keep it's air for a couple of days, so you can buy it before race day.
2006-07-28 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
I had no problem seeing the bike, the problem I had was sighting pass the jumble of heads and splashes. I blew myself out trying to keep afloat and see things, plus swallowing water. My eyes aren't THAT bad, but when I got blown up I had a little tunnel vision.

2006-07-28 3:31 PM
in reply to: #496142

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
you rocked, my love.   stop being so hard on yourself. 
2006-07-28 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Thanks wife, I'm sure I'll get made of for your post!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Terramuggus Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 Rss Feed