General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Classic Duathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fall Classic Duathlon - Short Course - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
United States
Tri OKC
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 55m 34s
Overall Rank = 4/79
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

An hour and half drive to race. Got to race checked in and set up transition area and then sat in car due to cold weather (44 degrees and windy) waiting for it to get closer to race time.
Event warmup:

30min before race time walked over to pre race meeting. After meeting did some dynamic stretching and ran about 1.5 mile warm up. Last quarter mile worked in several strides.
Run
  • 12m 38s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal was to run keep slightly slower than 5k pace for first 2 miles. Fell behind a tall runner in the first couple hundred yards and drafted off of him through the heavy headwinds at the beginning of the race. Several times he tried to pick up the pace to lose me but I just kept pace with him until we made it through the headwinds at which time I passed him.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I felt like I paced really well and had a lot left in the tank for the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

Had real troubles in transition. Everybody had to place bike into transition rack by the back wheel. When I pulled out my bike it caught a road bikes handle bars that was racked right next to mine and pulled it out of transition rack. I had to take time to place bike back into rack before I took off. During this time I had 1 pass me that I beat into T1.

Nothing I could do. Transition racks were so close together it was just really hard to get the bike out.
Bike
  • 28m 35s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got on the bike I took my 910 of my wrist and put onto bike. Normally when racing the only data I show is time, HR, and cadence. I normally pay a lot of attention to my cadence and try and keep cadence in mid 80's. I have a bad habit of getting cadence up in the 90's and when in the 90's my speed is usually slower. I've been riding my road bike lately and forgot to set cadence up on tri bike before race so I was unable to see cadence. So I decided to not even look at computer and just ride. The course had 2 turn arounds in the middle of the road at each end of the course. I lost a lot of time on both turn arounds making the turn. Although I was only passed once during the race so I felt like it was a good bike leg for me. Time on the indoor trainer is starting to pay off.

Practice turn arounds in the middle of a road and make sure bike computer is set up before race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Run
  • 12m 41s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well passed 1 on the run and never got passed. I was really excited to see that my second run split was only 3 seconds slower than my first. Although this leg was all out I had nothing left in the tank.
Post race
Event comments:

Great race. Any race that has free beer and hotdogs at the end has to be a winner.

Last updated: 2013-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:12:38 | 02 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 4/79
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:56
Overall: Below average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:28:35 | 10 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 6/79
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Flat course that had two turn arounds in the middle of the road on each end of the course. Course was set up right along the edge of the lake and had strong gusts of wind coming off lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:12:41 | 02 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 3/79
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-10-26 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: Fall Classic Duathlon - Short Course

2013-10-26 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4885049

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Fall Classic Duathlon - Short Course
Great consistency, well done! And kudos to you for taking the time to put that other bike back up.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Classic Duathlon - Short Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spring Fall Classic Sprint Triathlon - Fall Race

Started by grbfrog
Views: 1396 Posts: 3

2011-08-22 9:13 PM camy

American Zofingen Duathlon Short Course (Duathlon - Middle Distance)

Started by czechchick15
Views: 1981 Posts: 1

2011-05-23 8:16 PM czechchick15

Fall Classic Duathlon

Started by Av8rTx
Views: 1319 Posts: 1

2010-10-17 10:48 PM Av8rTx

Fall Classic Duathlon

Started by Sick Puppy
Views: 1107 Posts: 1

2008-10-20 5:42 PM Sick Puppy

Carrboro Classic Short Course

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 516 Posts: 1

2007-04-22 9:24 PM canadarn2001
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : October 17, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Fall's also the time to shop! In fact, now's the best time to retool some of your triathlon equipment for next year, right before the Christmas season begins to jack prices upward.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle