General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Conroe, Texas
United States
Outloud! Productions
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 51m 15s
Overall Rank = 393/694
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 64/95
Pre-race routine:

Before the race i should have watched the temperature and its going to be cold during the bike in the 50s. I am so used racing in the summer.Have to drive out and buy warmers expo dont have them.I slept well for a pre race sleep i have exactly 5 hours on and off. I barely have enough sleep in my previous training races. I am glad i was able to sleep this long. I stayed in the hotel therefore it will be a short walk to transition. I just ate my regular two cliff bars and 1 banana and a bottle of skratch. First one in transition and set-up first every thing is prepared and 15 mins before my start my goggles lense popped out. It took me 7 mins to fix it. Next time bring a back-up goggles.
Event warmup:

It was very cold in the am about 50 deg.F. Being my first cold Triathlon. I was told by the vets that do not worry water is warmer and i am wearing a wetsuit. So i dipped into the water make my body acclimate to the temperature. It was good and i feel confident. We are the first wave but im a BOP so i stayed there.
Swim
  • 55m 27s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started out ok for the quarter mile i have kicked and i kicked a few and after rounding the first buoy i was punched. I dont blame the guy because if he meant it with his size he could have knocked me out. I am very slow I went all out on the swim and i never rested even once. I am more afraid swimmers grabbing my ankles that I felt my chip may come off. The biggest challenge was turning the last buoy the waves are stronger and driving me away to the finish point i have to traverse back to my path until i reached the finish point.
What would you do differently?:

nothing i still feel strong coming out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 10m 9s
Comments:

It took me twice as long to dress up because i have to put on my arm and leg warmers.

I have to learn to do shoes on pedals and running mount. Be prepared for the cold weather.run Faster to transition
Bike
  • 3h 09m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

The hills are not exactly as I expected. I am so worried about my splits that i pushed it and i did not stay in my stable level. Every hilly mile is like a torture to me and everytime we hit a flat elevation the wind is like a bully pushing us back even on a downhill. I feel I am going to bonk at mile 45 I just gave it my best sustaining effort.After the last few miles i felt relief , but the pain is not over yet.

I do admit i can blame the race or the course, but i could have prepared myself for this by doing my bike rides on hills. I will not waste my time on flat rides anymore.i need to hit the hills.
Transition 2
  • 04m 24s
Comments:

i was so relieved im off the bike course i felt slow during T2

just move faster.
Run
  • 2h 31m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out ok and fat and suddenly after first mile my right leg was in pain enough to stop me and drop to my knees. I tried to limp off and shake it off. I know i am paying the price for hammering the hills unprepared.I tried to bear the pain and shake it off in the next two miles and i was able to tolerate it enough .We have to cover atleast a mile or two of trail gravel and grass which slowed me down. My pace was doing ok until mile 8 and then i felt starting to bonk. My nutrition and hydration is ok,but i am just running out of power. I tried run walk in the last 3 miles, but its the slowest 3 miles of them all, until eventually finish line my wife and boy is waiting and I am just glad it is all over.

Run wise nothing. I should have done more riding hills to save some for the run. I performed below average on the run because of my bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Finally finished decently for my first half iron tri. I just walked around did not sit down. Drank water nothing else and ate nothing because i feel like throwing up. Go back to the hotel shower and rest and dinner with family. I do admit I WANT TO DO IT AGAIN!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

leg pains from riding the hills.

Event comments:

I would say maintain the difficulty of the race. Keep the same number of staff and volunteers. Ready good food would be nice like barbecue would be nice for the participants. I am sure a better arc for the finish would be more memorable for the finishers.just to be honest i have seen better in sprint races. Over-all its a good race and ill keep coming back for Oilman and other races of Out-Loud productions.

Thank You Very Gregg Pennington and Cathy Ferrara.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:27 | 2112 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 70/95
Overall: 393/694
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Fusion
Course: One loop Trapezoid shape
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:09
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
03:09:35 | 56 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/95
Overall: 239/694
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: Rolling hills. Winds are bad.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:24
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:31:39 | 13.1 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/95
Overall: 406/694
Performance: Below average
Course: The course is flat on the resort subdivision.3 loops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-04 9:32 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon

Started by trebor587
Views: 1211 Posts: 1

2011-11-11 11:28 AM trebor587

Started by tsapp1981
Views: 1190 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 11:37 PM tsapp1981

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1599 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 9:28 AM g_shotts

Started by txjp
Views: 1297 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 8:59 AM txjp

Started by scm724
Views: 1530 Posts: 1

2011-11-07 8:58 AM scm724
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.