General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
36F / 2C
Total Time = 13h 29m 4s
Overall Rank = 1/4
Age Group = Military Female
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate some peanut butter toast and had coffee
Event warmup:

Hah! Waited for the nice person who figured out how to start the propane heater out at the beach start. Chatted with some nice people. As it turns out, I didn't put nearly enough body glide on my neck
Swim
  • 1h 04m
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

They only had one navigation buoy for the 90 degree left turn. It would have been helpful if there had been others to mark the most efficient course
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. Aside from doing the race multiple times, I'm not sure that I could have done anything different to have a better course plotted through the latter portion of the course. I definitely did a few hundred extra yards though
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It just takes a long time to bundle up in layers when it is cold. I'm usually slow in transition but this was abysmally slow. Even though I was warm in the water, my feet got numb in the run to the changing tent.

I would practice getting dressed. I had packed my bag in reverse order so the stuff I needed last was on the bottom but I should have practiced getting in the layers. I put on my jersey and realized I forgot (and needed) my base layer so I had to take the jersey off, put the LS base on, etc.
Bike
  • 7h 00m 44s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I stopped at the Special Needs and shed some layers. I think it was good to actually stop even though it took some time. The training rides definitely paid off too.

Continue to try to improve my speed. It's my weakest segment for sure. Just need to keep after it.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Slow once again

I opted to fully change. I'm not sure that was really necessary but I was comfortable. Obviously it took time. If it had been warmer the smarter option would be just to swap bike shorts for running shorts and be off
Run
  • 4h 56m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

I managed to "run" the entire course. After about mile 18 I walked through the aid stations (hooray for flat coke and soup) but aside from that, I did not walk. I felt very good about that and it gave me confidence that I had trained enough. I was very tired but I finished strong.

Bring a headlamp. Even though they augment the city lights with generator light sets there are some very dark portions and I was cautious in those so that I didn't stumble but it affected my gait and definitely slowed an already slow pace. I would have been happy to have gloves at the end too. I only had shorts and a t shirt on and it did get cold once the sun went down.
Post race
Warm down:

Kiss and hug Hank, the best supporter ever. Get my finisher PJ pants and then head to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just need to get faster and stronger on the bike. The wind took a lot out of me and so my run was slower than I hoped as well. I left this race thinking I would like to do another one so I am happy that I was able to run the entire marathon and to finish strong.

Event comments:

I would highly recommend this race to anyone. It was my first Iron distance and I'm glad I chose this one. Wilmington supports this event all the way--the volunteers are magnificent. So glad I did it!

Last updated: 2013-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:00 | 4224 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/4
Performance: Good
Suit: Rental Suit--Full sleeve
Course: One way swim in inter coastal waterway. It was so cold out that it was great to get in the water. No navigation buoys at all except one for the left turn. That's my only criticism of the swim. Once you turn left it's a bit of back and forth and even though I had a good time, it could have been faster if I had been able to navigate the back portion better.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:00:44 | 112 miles | 15.97 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind
Course: Very flat course through rural NC, just as advertised. I didn't anticipate the wind as the weather forecast was for 7mph but the wind was 17mph with 20mph gusts. It seemed like we had a headwind for 80 miles. Luckily the tailwind came at the end but I was plenty fatigued by then.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:56:00 | 26.2 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Two laps in Wilmington. Part of it is along the waterfront, then a portion through neighborhoods to get to a very pretty park. The part on the waterfront is pretty but there are also some tight turns on the boardwalk
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-11-17 6:13 AM

New user

Arlington, Virginia
Subject: Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Beach2Battleship Iron Distance Triathlon

Started by halman
Views: 2280 Posts: 3

2013-11-07 5:42 AM HercDriver

Started by trigirl069
Views: 2091 Posts: 2

2010-11-19 9:24 PM [email protected]

Started by triguy71
Views: 2432 Posts: 3

2010-11-18 11:00 AM alltom1

Started by shermantank
Views: 2335 Posts: 4

2011-10-18 9:08 PM Kanedog

Started by anth
Views: 2442 Posts: 3

2011-10-22 9:33 PM Oldteen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : July 14, 2009
author : scoobysdad
Excerpts from the full-length movie of three BT'ers following their dreams to Ironman. Meet BT'er tripletmom01
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : February 19, 2007
author : McFuzz
comments : 4
Looking to do your first triathlon? Here is a look beyond the distances.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.