General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LifeTimeFitness OR Ymca membership? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-17 4:48 PM

Subject: LifeTimeFitness OR Ymca membership?
I'm trying to decide what I really want out of a gym. I am currently doing a trial at LifeTime in Alpharetta. Don't get me wrong I love but I only use the pool and some weights. I'm not even sure if a fitness gym is good because all the machines aren't as good as free weights. I have a bench press at my house but no squat rack. LifeTime has it all but its all machine so no stabilizing muscle groups. Where do you guys swim/ workout?

2013-11-17 4:50 PM
in reply to: #4900156

Subject: RE: LifeTimeFitness OR Ymca membership?
For got to mention LifeTime is super expensive for me(college student) however no weights at YMCA and I hear LA Fitness's pool is decusting plus it isn't 24hours.
2013-11-18 7:38 AM
in reply to: TokenBlackGuy

Roswell
I am a member at the Y and go to that one occasionally. I do strength workouts at home, so I have not been in the weight room in a long time, but I could swear that they have free weights. I think they to the left when you walk in the workout room.

As far as the pool, expect it to be crowded. They schedule a lot of activities - water aerobics, swim lessons, etc. I seem to get bumped from my lane at least once every time I go and the life guards are not at all polite about it. They tend to start closing lanes about 10 minutes before a class starts. Early in the morning, it isn't too bad, but later in the day it can get quite aggravating. All in all, the lap pool is a lesson in patience, but you can get your workout in.
2013-11-18 8:35 AM

User image

I swim at the norcross ymca -- I find it a lot less crowded than the alpharetta one. I am pretty sure there are free weights there too. You can always tour the ymca before signing up to look.
2013-11-18 12:33 PM

I use LA Fitness simply because of the multiple locations around town and the country. It's nice to not have to be wed to a single location in case you are traveling or have other scheduling issues getting to that location at a time you need to.
2013-11-26 11:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
LA fitness would have your pool and weights. I used to go there about 3 years ago and I don't remember the pool being too bad. The one in alpharetta anyway. i used to workout at the one in Johns Creek too and it was fine, but i never swam there.

I work out at Lifetime now. It has plenty of free weights. Dumbells up to about 130lbs, couple of squat racks/cages and a bunch of benches. the outdoor pool is really nice when its warm out. indoor pool year round.

if i were a college student i'd probably go LA fitness. But since i'm not, I prefer Lifetime.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LifeTimeFitness OR Ymca membership? Rss Feed