Sports Backers
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 57m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I went to the expo on Friday and signed up. I had been toying with a back to back marathon after doing NYC Marathon 2 weeks ago. I met Joe at the expo and got my bib and picked up some gels. We went to a local Greek restuarant for a pasta carb load, it turned out to be a really good find. Went to bed early, woke a couple of times, once with a new earache somehow, so I put in some left over prescription drops, it was gone in the morning and didn't come back. Woke at 5:45, made coffee, eat banana and powerbar. Left early to beat traffic and get situated. It was rainy, so I parked and sat in car for a while. Then it was time to head to the start. Watched the half marathon start, looked for shree but didn't see her. Headed over to corral and found Joe. I had to pee but there was no time, race was starting.
Event warmup:

None.
Run
  • 3h 57m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran first 15 miles with Joe, we were on 4 hr pace, even though I wanted to go out a little slower, I let him make the pace since I was sure if I was going to make it the to the finish and how it would go. He started to slow some, so I decided to go ahead and keep the 4 hr pace, I didn't know if I would hit the wall and see him again or not. I started to get a little plantar faciatis and worried if I picked up the pace it would become a problem, but I kept pushing ahead. I made it a couple more miles and then decided to pick up the pace a little, I felt great at this point, but then another few miles and I felt I could hold the faster pace, I was now thinking, ok 4 hours seems reasonable if all goes well and the body holds up, what about a 9 min avg pace, but I decided 4 hrs was the real goal and just focused on getting to mile 20. All along the race, I got cheers "Go Buckeyes", I was wearing my favorite Ohio State race jersey, this jersey gets so many cheers it really helps having it on. The guy next to me said, "there sure are alot of Buckeye fans out here". He was keeping a good pace and I stayed with him for a mile, but decided to let him go and get back to my 4 hr game plan, which mile 20 came and I was still feeling good. I tried picking it up to take off some time, but it wasn't very easy to drop many seconds per mile and I thought how hard it got at NYC in those last 6 miles. I kept calculating how much time I needed to take off per mile. the next 3 miles I was pretty steady state avg. 9:05 per mile, but that wasn't enough, so I recalculated and decided to go for it at mile 23, my last 3 miles were 8:30, then 8:04 and then I really kicked it down and the course has a big downhill the last mile to the finish and I didn that mile 7:38. I wasn't sure how close I was to the 9 min mile, but I came close with a 9:02 average. I was really physched to have back to back sub 4 hour marathons both with negative splits, so no complaints and the body seemed to hold up pretty well. In fact my hip didn't hurt nearly as much as it did in NYC, must have been the bridges in NYC.
What would you do differently?:

Pick up the pace more at mile 20.
Post race
Warm down:

Did a couple of stretches waiting on Joe at the finish, but he I didn't see him so I went to get post race food. when standing at the finish I saw a guy with a NYC Marathon shirt on and talked to him, he did NYC and tried Richmond, but said he cramped up at mile 14 and stopped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, maybe more confidence that I could do a second marathon in 2 weeks.

Event comments:

I like this hometown marathon and signed up for next year for half the price I paid at the expo.

Last updated: 2013-11-17 12:00 AM
Running
03:57:02 | 26.2 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-11-17 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: Richmond Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Richmond Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Suntrust Richmond Marathon

Started by Scovert1
Views: 712 Posts: 1

2006-06-13 7:40 PM Scovert1

SunTrust Richmond Marathon

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 2589 Posts: 16

2005-11-18 7:27 PM BellinghamSpence

Started by x01509
Views: 1476 Posts: 1

2005-11-13 9:20 PM x01509

Started by ejc999
Views: 2045 Posts: 9

2005-11-18 7:17 PM BellinghamSpence

Started by PTinVA
Views: 1827 Posts: 7

2005-11-15 6:05 PM KathyG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 1
How a father and son went from zero to marathon and had the experience of a lifetime!
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle

date : August 30, 2004
Glassy waters greeted the nearly 600 participants for the quarter-mile swim. The 15.5-bike ride followed a beautiful course around the lake with the 5k run winding through a quiet residential area