General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sports massage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-19 3:24 PM

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: sports massage
Can anyone recommend a good local place for a post-Ironman massage? I would like someone familiar with sport-specific massage therapy.

2013-11-19 7:06 PM
in reply to: wanderwoman11

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ
Subject: RE: sports massage
Race Ready Massage

www.racereadymassage.com

I haven't used her, but I've heard good things and when I finally use up all my Massage Envy "credits" I'm going to use her. So...let me know, if you use her, how she is.

2013-11-19 11:05 PM

User image

The term "sports massage" really only applies immediately before, or after, an event. Once days have passed it becomes a "maintenance" massage or something else. Any good massage therapist should be able to identify the muscles and areas that need attention.

Chiropractic clinics tend to have therapists that are less focused strictly on relaxation. Find one near you and see if they offer a first-time discount. I would recommend a 90 minute session. Be very clear with the therapist about what you want them to focus on (e.g. hamstrings, calves, feet, lower back, shoulders, etc) or if the list is too long tell them "I don't care about my arms, please focus on my legs" etc.

I wouldn't recommend a very deep tissue massage right now. You muscles have been through hell.

*source* I'm an LMT

2013-11-20 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Hands down the best we've used...  Aubrey is amazing.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » sports massage Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Massage therapist

Started by sanchors
Views: 1981 Posts: 24

2009-08-19 10:12 PM alsgislady

New to site and world of multi sport Pages: 1 2

Started by marathonmomtofour
Views: 1824 Posts: 33

2008-06-07 2:37 PM BLUEHAWAII

Can anybody recommend a sports nutritionist?

Started by Mirg
Views: 668 Posts: 1

2008-04-08 1:06 PM Mirg

Massage, Yoga, Reiki, etc....

Started by gramby
Views: 1074 Posts: 11

2007-08-12 6:07 PM gramby

Sports Massage?

Started by sportyj
Views: 737 Posts: 4

2007-05-17 3:03 PM StandsWithFist
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 20, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Recurrent injuries to the groin are slow to heal, easily re-injured, and will frustrate your training and competition plans. Learn about the diagnosis, anatomy and treatment of sports hernias.

date : August 24, 2009
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.
date : May 6, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
While there is a time and a place for engineered sports foods, many athletes needlessly waste a lot of money misusing them. The purpose of this article is to help you become an informed consumer.

date : January 19, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
Which sport do you believe is easier to continually improve at: swimming, bicycling, or running? What makes you think this specific sport is easier to improve at?
date : December 11, 2007
I have had chronic Achilles tendonitis problems for a good portion of my life. I am wondering if this can ever go away, or if there is a surgery that can be done?

date : December 11, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"
date : July 3, 2006
They are comfortable, but on longer runs the ball of my foot starts to heat up. I actually had to STOP, take off the shoe, massage my foot. This would help for a while, but the pain usually returned.

date : April 10, 2005
comments : 1
When you're in the middle of your training plan for a major event (Ironman Lake Placid), how do you handle injuries when they come up?