Zulu Racing
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 23/35
Pre-race routine:

Since I have done the race a few times, I did things "right" this time. First, I took a stadium chair because there is no where to sit. It was nice to not sit on the cold cement prior to the race. Second, I took several different layers and waited until just before the start to decide on what to wear. I did not over heat or get too cold during the race. Lastly, I stayed warm all the way to the start.
Event warmup:

I normally do not warm up much on trail races because I am never actually racing. However, I did about a mile warm up to loosen up the legs and get the body temp up some.
Run
  • 1h 35m 42s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out too fast...surprise I know. I backed it down after mile 2 and tried to find the pace of the day. However, I simply ran out of shape after 7 miles. The last 2.3 were very slow with a few hills walked. I really decided not to go deep on this day. I have not run over 7 miles in 4 months. I knew 9.3 trail race was not going to be a stellar time. I did listen to music which I normally do not do on trail races. It helped me on the rough spots.
What would you do differently?:

start off a little slower and save something for the last 3 miles. I will approach this race slightly different next year.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. I sat down in my chair and relaxed for 15 minutes. I got out of my wet cloths and left for the car. I was stiff when I got home, but not bad the next AM.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just not enough miles to go faster

Event comments:

I love this race. Beautiful fall colors, not overly technical and great way to transition into trail season. I would like to get a group to go next year.

Last updated: 2013-11-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:42 | 9.3 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: I think there was about 6 or 7 challenging up hill sections. otherwise, this is a fast trail race.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-24 9:25 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Hill Country Trail Race

2013-11-25 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4903725

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: Hill Country Trail Race
Did I see "group" for next year????

Great to see you back on the trails, awesome stuff !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hill Country Trail Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Greenbelt's Run for the Hills 5K/10K Trail Race

Started by Beej
Views: 860 Posts: 1

2011-07-17 8:06 AM Beej

Trail Racing Forge Racing Series Race #3

Started by lsu_engr
Views: 1096 Posts: 1

2010-06-26 2:15 PM lsu_engr

Blue Hills Trail Races - "Bunny Hop"

Started by joeyg
Views: 830 Posts: 1

2010-04-26 9:15 AM joeyg

Blue Hills Trail Races - "Bunny Hop"

Started by RandomMtnBiker83
Views: 919 Posts: 1

2009-04-28 10:01 PM RandomMtnBiker83

Hill Country Challenge

Started by shornick
Views: 778 Posts: 1

2004-09-19 9:53 PM shornick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2012
author : TINKARRA
comments : 0
Most of the races are flat here, but I live in the area where I could do hilly rides with 1500-2000m of climbing. Is there much benefit with that if I am racing flat?

date : November 15, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Recipes for Oatmeal Pancakes, Carrot Apple Muffins, Sugar and Spice Pecans and Crunchy Trail Mix
date : July 28, 2011
author : AMSSM
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : October 29, 2008
author : mrakes1
Triathlon nutrition discussions on trail mixes and calories, regular skim milk vs. organic skim milk vs. soy milk and whey protein.
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : February 13, 2007
author : trixie
comments : 1
Can't run outside in the snow? Think again. I flew up the first hill with surprising ease and power. The Yaktrax gripped into the ice like racing spikes on a rubber track. Sweeeeet.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : October 17, 2004
author : smeeko
Discover the joys of trail running while also giving your body many benefits.