heavy?

Does the water slosh around a lot?

Thanks

2006-07-31 3:21 PM
in reply to: #498568

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Around the Waist Camelback
I have one, I just got it about a month ago, but have only had a chance to wear it once. You make need to get used to it, but I like mine. Holds a fair amount of water, tube isn't overly inconvenient, and it solves my biggest issue: I HATE running while holding something. I just can't do it. Water bottles are totally out for me because of that.

Anyway, I digress..... Mine works pretty well. The water kind of sloshes, but it's not horrible. Weight is pretty well distributed, too, I thought.
2006-07-31 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Not the same scenario, but I used one at Disney World last spring. The thing I noticed most was that it actually kept the area it was covering rather cool for several hours. Wasn't sure if you had thought about that. Seeing as I wasn't running, I can't speak to sloshing, or practicality. Heaviness? It was heavier than nothing, but far better than a water bottle, which can start feeling like a hand weight after awhile. I walked all day with mine on, and will never do a theme park in spring/summer without it.
2006-07-31 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA

Very practical - they hold quite a bit more than the bottle fanny packs.   It will probably feel heavy at first and probably awkward and uncomfortable, until you get used to it. (A plus is that it will get lighter during your run)  

There will be NO sloshing if you fill it properly - fill it completely and then push down on the bag as you close the stopper so that there is NO air in the bag. 

Also, its important that you put it on correctly or it will be bouncing up and down on your back.  On longer runs I would suggest body glide on your sides where the belt rests, across your navel/belly where the buckle is and on your lower back where the pack will be riding.     

mscotthall - 2006-07-31 4:09 PM What do you all think about these? Are they practical? heavy? Does the water slosh around a lot? Thanks

2006-07-31 9:09 PM
in reply to: #498629

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-07-31 10:02 PM

Elite
Racine, WI
I used one for several years right up until I bought a fuel belt a couple of weeks ago.  The only thing I like better about the fuel belt is that I can carry both sports drink and water at the same time.  Otherwise the camelback is good, and I believe it holds more than my 4 bottle fuel belt does.  

2006-07-31 10:14 PM

Norristown, PA
Very happy with mine. I have been using it for 5-6 months now & it is just big enough to carry the few essentials I need for my usual run/swim work out but not so big that I load it up with junk I dont need. The front part of the strap has 2 velcro pockets perfect for holding energy gel. I stash my swim goggles in the main compartment that holds the bladder & then there are 2 pockets on the back that I can store house key & ID/pool membership in.
If I wanted to I could probably stash my Ipod in one of the back pockets. I also have a led flasher about the size of a quarter hanging off the back of it for running in the evening.

The straps have a felt lining that is comfortable & there is a pad on the back of the pack which keeps it from shifting all over while you run.
The other nice thing about it is that the cap for the bladder is big enough that I can fill it up with ice so that it keeps the water cool for a good 1-2 hrs.
2006-07-31 10:36 PM

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

I have the Camelback Flashflo, and a Fuelbelt.  I prefer the Fuelbelt.  Not sure they even make it anymore, but I have the 8 bottle Fuelbelt, which can hold 56 oz of fluid (8 7oz flasks).  With 8 full bottles, the Fuelbelt is a bit heavy, but after drinking one or two, it does not bounce at all.  The Camelback holds 45 oz, if I recall correctly, and it bounces more than the Fuelbelt.  Also, as someone else said, I like that I can carry more than one type of drink with the Fuelbelt.  So, given the choice between the two, I always pick the Fuelbelt.

Just my opinion.

-Steve

p.s.  Just an FYI...  Particularly with the 8 bottle Fuelbelt, I had to order the Small size belt to make it tight enough to prevent bouncing.  I have a 33 in waist.  I also have a older 4 bottle belt which is a Medium, and it fits just fine for the lighter 4 bottles.  Not sure if they've tweaked the sizing with more recent product revisions, though.

2006-08-01 7:59 AM
in reply to: #498951

Elite
Racine, WI
Steve in IL - 2006-07-31 10:36 PM

I have the Camelback Flashflo, and a Fuelbelt.  I prefer the Fuelbelt.  Not sure they even make it anymore, but I have the 8 bottle Fuelbelt, which can hold 56 oz of fluid (8 7oz flasks).  With 8 full bottles, the Fuelbelt is a bit heavy, but after drinking one or two, it does not bounce at all.  The Camelback holds 45 oz, if I recall correctly, and it bounces more than the Fuelbelt.  Also, as someone else said, I like that I can carry more than one type of drink with the Fuelbelt.  So, given the choice between the two, I always pick the Fuelbelt.

Just my opinion.

-Steve

p.s.  Just an FYI...  Particularly with the 8 bottle Fuelbelt, I had to order the Small size belt to make it tight enough to prevent bouncing.  I have a 33 in waist.  I also have a older 4 bottle belt which is a Medium, and it fits just fine for the lighter 4 bottles.  Not sure if they've tweaked the sizing with more recent product revisions, though.

Thanks for the info on the 8 bottle fuel belt.  I will probably be looking for one sooner or later, the 4 bottle is ok for training but I'm running my  first mary this fall and no way will 4 bottles get me through...and I can't stomach the gatorade they are giving out on the course.

2006-08-01 8:10 AM

Runner
I've been thinking about this for a while now. Like I said before I have the waist Camelback, and I saw that Amphipod (or someone else, I don't remember right now) makes the little gel flasks that you can attach to basically any belt. You could easily throw those on the Camelback belt, and have your gels or whatever else right there with ya. This is me thinking more than anything else right now. But I oculd easily see using it as a race belt / water and gel carrier.....Hmmm......New project!!!!
2006-08-01 9:05 AM
in reply to: #499105

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

Cindy,

Looking at the Fuelbelt site, they definitely have changed the design of the belt somewhat since I bought mine.  So, I guess you should just follow the sizing advice they offer on their site.  I just know that with the old belt, with 8 full flasks, the Medium was a bit too bouncy for me...the small worked better.  And with the new design they're suggesting I should get a large.  Hmm...

-Steve

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Around the Waist Camelback Rss Feed