United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 42m 16s
Overall Rank = 667/2299
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/127
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 3:30 AM. Ate a banana, a protein shake, and a Clif Bar on my way over to transition. Ate a few Gu chews just before heading to the swim start.
Event warmup:

As you leave transition to head towards the swim start you walk about 1 mile down the beach to where you enter the water in waves. We walked much of the way on the sand so our feet didn't get torn up. I actually took an old pair of flip flops and tossed them near the trash can with the other 200 pairs just before I entered the corral. Loved talking to the veterans before the start.
Swim
  • 43m 38s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

I don't feel like there's much I could have done differently. I guess the biggest thing is to anticipate some choppy water no matter what. I had heard several stories about how calm Lake Michigan is in the mornings so I was thrown off by all of it. I was hoping my swim time would have been about 38 minutes so I was disappointed, But, since I almost drowned I should have been happy.
Transition 1
  • 05m 5s
Comments:

Racine is unique in that you mount your bike at the start of a VERY steep hill. It's a short hill so it's not tough, but it makes it tough to get on the bike quickly and get going. Several people were walking their bikes up the hill and mounting at the top, but if you've had race experience this is certainly not necessary.

I would hurry. I was taking my time intentionally. It was my first race and I was soaking it all in, smiling, talking to another gal I race against in my area, etc. I loved every second of it. Did not use the wetsuit strippers because I was afraid of getting all sandy.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Great course. Biking is probably my weakest link, so I was very pleased with how I completed this leg. I was expecting 3:10.

Absolutely nothing except maybe carry more water on the bike itself. I had to grab water from stops and squirt it into my front mount.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Transition was tight and was a complete mess by this point. There was stuff literally EVERYWHERE! However, I moved as quickly as possible. At this point I was so excited that I couldn't wait to get out running and be DONE. I was really doing it!

Nothing. Maybe hurry a little more, but like I said, I wanted to take it all in.
Run
  • 1h 54m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Good course, but the second half of each loop got a little boring. No spectators to speak of but some good scenery (the first time).

Try to run longer before walking through the water stations and probably shoot for a faster time.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and actually burst into tears because I was SO HAPPY!!! I felt so great and I knew then I couldn't wait to tackle the Ironman in 2014. So happy I did this race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Water conditions, heat in the later afternoon, and my daydreaming and vision of enjoying the race. It was my first one so I really wanted to love it.

Event comments:

There was not a lot of food/drink options after the race. I was very disappointed in that. I was a little fuzzy so I don't even remember exactly what they had but I would have given anything for a beer or a chocolate milk. I felt like an Ironman branded event should have more to offer finishers.

Last updated: 2013-11-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:38 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 38/127
Overall: 1020/2299
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless Orca
Course: The water that day was ROUGH. The waves were coming at us hard for the first 100 yards or so. They were taller than me and I gulped in quite a bit of water. At one point I stuck my arm in the air for help, but no one even saw me. I have NEVER done this during a race. I was honestly terrified. Basically, you started on one end of the beach and swam 1 mile down towards transition. Then, after the last buoy you cut in toward the beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:56:12 | 56 miles | 19.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/127
Overall: 909/2299
Wind: Little
Course: Love, love, loved this bike course. It had lots of turns and there were times when it was very tight, but there were just enough rollers to stretch out your legs. It's mostly flat and fairly fast. It was beautiful scenery as well. I got off the bike feeling GOOD!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:54:36 | 13.1 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/127
Overall: 667/2299
Course: The course was a mainly flat double out and back. There were a few rollers at the beginning. They were short, but fairly steep. I zipped through the first 7 miles well under an 8-mile pace. Then, I started to get hot and tired. I started walking through the water stations after that. I grabbed everything- chips, chews, Gus, sports drink, and even a COKE! I couldn't believe it, but I was HUNGRY and I wasn't feeling sick at all. I felt so good but I was still in "soaking it all up" mode so I talked to others, enjoyed the journey, etc.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-12-01 8:30 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Racine
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Racine Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Racine Pages: 1 2

Started by kimk
Views: 6086 Posts: 26

2010-07-22 8:14 PM miami9296

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by TUEFELHUNDEN
Views: 3482 Posts: 10

2013-07-22 5:34 PM Diesel J

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by GRB1
Views: 3639 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:11 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by swimwiu52
Views: 3190 Posts: 7

2010-07-22 12:27 PM Ershk

Ironman 70.3 Racine

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 4998 Posts: 19

2013-07-22 4:15 PM rdietz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.