BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2014-01-13 12:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY

Bruce

I hope you didn't take my response negatively.  It wasn't meant that way.  You're so close to 4:00 that a few tweaks to whatever plan you used in the past would seem to get you there assuming you stay healthy.

Edited by SSMinnow 2014-01-13 12:37 PM

2014-01-13 12:57 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Bruce

I hope you didn't take my response negatively.  It wasn't meant that way.  You're so close to 4:00 that a few tweaks to whatever plan you used in the past would seem to get you there assuming you stay healthy.

No worries Suzy - I have thicker skin than that.

I was just curious about training loads - most everyone in this group seems better than me (and I'm OK with that - my plan for winning my age group is based entirely on longevity) and I was just wondering how you can fit in 70 miles a week - just running that would be 7 to 8 hours for the good guys and closer to 11 or 12 hours for me. The most I have done is 6 hours total for a week, usually more like 4 1/2
2014-01-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by bwingate

Originally posted by SSMinnow

Bruce

No worries Suzy - I have thicker skin than that.

I was just curious about training loads - most everyone in this group seems better than me (and I'm OK with that - my plan for winning my age group is based entirely on longevity) and I was just wondering how you can fit in 70 miles a week - just running that would be 7 to 8 hours for the good guys and closer to 11 or 12 hours for me. The most I have done is 6 hours total for a week, usually more like 4 1/2

70 miles a week sound HURTFUL !@!
Especially considering The Hansen Program has the adavanced athlete top-out around 50-55
I did USMC in 2012 and was coming off IM Lake Placid My biggest training week was around 50 miles and I felt very perpared I went 3:31 during Huricane SANDY yippe!!
2014-01-14 9:49 AM
in reply to: triguy1043

Anybody here try to balance a bike commute with a training schedule? I'm trying to do the Jorge Winter plan, but I find that by the time I get home at the end of the day, my legs already have accumulated a low-level burn. The commute's not long enough, though, to count for a "high-quality workout." I'm worried that I'll slowly build up some bike muscles but not have much of a high-end if I keep with the commuting and low-grade intervals...
2014-01-14 1:30 PM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by runningmon

Anybody here try to balance a bike commute with a training schedule? I'm trying to do the Jorge Winter plan, but I find that by the time I get home at the end of the day, my legs already have accumulated a low-level burn. The commute's not long enough, though, to count for a "high-quality workout." I'm worried that I'll slowly build up some bike muscles but not have much of a high-end if I keep with the commuting and low-grade intervals...

I think it all depends on what you are training for.
When I was training for IM I would sneek in miles whereever I could for volume.
But If you are getting ready for sprints The effort will be much different.

Remeber Jorge's plan is all about building OUTSEASON Power so those workouts are all very intense.
2014-01-15 10:15 AM

True-- I'm training for Olys only, so I'm less worried about finding junk miles as I am increasing max speed and power. Solution might be (ugg) having to do the workouts first thing in the AM before I commute?

2014-01-15 10:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

True-- I'm training for Olys only, so I'm less worried about finding junk miles as I am increasing max speed and power. Solution might be (ugg) having to do the workouts first thing in the AM before I commute?

Thats a good idea

Jorge's workouts are great

But I hear it more and more lately BUILD your STRONG before you BUILD your LONG
so do the power workouts NOW
2014-01-15 11:24 AM

Extreme Veteran

Why not use the commute home as a warm-up and then jump right into the workout without its full warm-up?
2014-01-16 8:14 AM

Originally posted by triguy1043

Thats a good idea

Does that include people brand new to tri's? I was reading that the first year or two you should just try to build a solid base and then go for strength and all that.

Let me know yours thoughts b/c right now I'm just trying to up my volume so that I can do more speed/skills later.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited by budlizard 2014-01-16 8:28 AM
2014-01-16 9:16 AM
in reply to: budlizard

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by budlizard

Thats a good idea

Does that include people brand new to tri's? I was reading that the first year or two you should just try to build a solid base and then go for strength and all that.

Let me know yours thoughts b/c right now I'm just trying to up my volume so that I can do more speed/skills later.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

The more and more I read I am hearing strong before long in training.
Don't get me wrong Base is important however there is a difference from just off the couch to a person who has a soild year of training under thier belt.
Either way I do not think it would do harm if you had 8 weeks of soild cycling under your belt to start doing some interval work 1 time a week and then increasing it to 2 times per week 4-6 weeks after that.

2014-01-17 7:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Whats everyone's training weekends look like?

IS ANYONE RACING?

2014-01-17 11:59 AM

User image

, Lisboa
6 miles tempo run tomorrow, and probably an easy 10mil on sunday. I'll try to throw a bike ride on sunday but depends on the weather. Don't have any race scheduled until april, but I might do an half marathon on march.
2014-01-17 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by triguy1043 Whats everyone's training weekends look like? IS ANYONE RACING?

No racing for me until late February!  Long run on Saturday, followed by long ride on Sunday.  Maybe a little Badger Basketball and Seahawks thrown in there too.

2014-01-17 12:50 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

Extreme Veteran
Going snowboarding on Saturday and Sunday - no runs or rides scheduled.

Signed up for a hilly 15k,(3/29), a 1/2 marathon in my old Brooklyn neighborhood (3/1) and the LI Marathon (5/4) this morning.
2014-01-17 6:19 PM
in reply to: bwingate

Nice 3-day weekend with MLK Day, so I'm going hit it it hard this weekend. Getting my PT up to 1000 in the pool, so I'll be doing that... Hopefully as many road rides as possible. Except Sunday afternoon of course... Go Seahawks!
2014-01-17 6:21 PM

Now I'm confused... Up thread, it sounded like you were saying that the Jorge's were the power workouts. Are you recommending a different kind of power work?

Thats a good idea

2014-01-18 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

Now I'm confused... Up thread, it sounded like you were saying that the Jorge's were the power workouts. Are you recommending a different kind of power work?

Thats a good idea

No Jorge's workouts ate great for this time of year sorry for confusing you

Good job with your swimming as well!!
2014-01-21 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Cold as ice in NY today

Busted my back cutting my basebement floor yesterday much needed rest day for me today

It was a good weelend of training though

Friday 6 mile run tempo
Sat 3 mile AM Treadmill 45 min PM Trainer
Sunday 1 HR trainer
Monday 7 mile run
2014-01-22 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
-18 degrees at my house today!!!

Its a indoor training day!!

It also must be too cold where you all live because noone is typing!!
2014-01-22 7:50 AM

User image

, Lisboa
-18F, ouch, I can't even imagine that.

By the way, what do you all eat post workout?
My post workout routine usually involves a skim chocolate milk But after some races I might eat a protein bar instead.
2014-01-22 10:29 AM
in reply to: lsousa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by lsousa

My post workout routine usually involves a skim chocolate milk But after some races I might eat a protein bar instead.

i am a big fan of Endroux R4 Tangy Orange
after my long runs on sundays I have a bottle of R4 then a sasuage an egg sandwich

2014-01-22 12:22 PM

Extreme Veteran

i am a big fan of Endroux R4 Tangy Orange
after my long runs on sundays I have a bottle of R4 then a sasuage an egg sandwich

It was 10 this morning - treadmill at the gym tonight and probably tomorrow night.

Post workout food is usually breakfast of oatmeal and coffee or dinner. If its not mealtime, its usually chocolate milk and maybe some fruit, but unless I have gone for over an hour, there's usually nothing.
2014-01-22 5:56 PM

User image

, Lisboa
By the way, I've just came across this post: http://www.thecyclediaries.com/resources-2/team-skys-cycling-nutrit...

And on an interview with the Team Sky Chef (http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/healthandfitness/535189/the-sky-diet.html), he tells why they use rice cakes:
"We have cooked rice for the riders, which we use in the form of rice cakes during races. Rice is great, it contains easily digested carbohydrates, some protein and lots of water, which helps with hydration."

I might give it a try on my next long ride. I'm exactly 100 days before my first HIM, and I really want to try some "natural" solid foods.

Edited by lsousa 2014-01-22 6:00 PM
2014-01-23 6:59 AM
in reply to: lsousa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

By the way, I've just came across this post: http://www.thecyclediaries.com/resources-2/team-skys-cycling-nutrit...

And on an interview with the Team Sky Chef (http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/healthandfitness/535189/the-sky-diet.html), he tells why they use rice cakes:
"We have cooked rice for the riders, which we use in the form of rice cakes during races. Rice is great, it contains easily digested carbohydrates, some protein and lots of water, which helps with hydration."

I might give it a try on my next long ride. I'm exactly 100 days before my first HIM, and I really want to try some "natural" solid foods.

I would find it very hard to eat a dry rice cake on a bike ini a areo position with a HR at 150ish on a hot day.
I went to a to Cliff Shot blocks and gel bottles on the bike during IM in was much easier for me to drink calories then to chew them up.

The Gel bottle was a huge hit for me!!
2014-01-24 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
I use Ensure from Prerace calories

for IM I drank one Ensure at 2:30 am and another at 4:30 am
easy way to get in alot of caloires and protein

Whats everyone have on tap for this weekend?

I will hopefully get in a few hours of X-country and downhill skiing along with my LSD run
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.