BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2014-01-24 8:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Lisboa
Subject: RE: Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY
Originally posted by triguy1043

Originally posted by lsousa

By the way, I've just came across this post: http://www.thecyclediaries.com/resources-2/team-skys-cycling-nutrit...

And on an interview with the Team Sky Chef (http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/healthandfitness/535189/the-sky-diet.html), he tells why they use rice cakes:
"We have cooked rice for the riders, which we use in the form of rice cakes during races. Rice is great, it contains easily digested carbohydrates, some protein and lots of water, which helps with hydration."

I might give it a try on my next long ride. I'm exactly 100 days before my first HIM, and I really want to try some "natural" solid foods.

I would find it very hard to eat a dry rice cake on a bike ini a areo position with a HR at 150ish on a hot day.
I went to a to Cliff Shot blocks and gel bottles on the bike during IM in was much easier for me to drink calories then to chew them up.

The Gel bottle was a huge hit for me!!

Now that you say that, yeah, there are some differences between a normal cycling stage and a triathlon stage, since on a cycling stage you can drop to the middle or back of peloton and eat/drink more calmly.

What is a gel bottle by the way? Never heard of them before.

For the weekend I'll have my usual short tempo and long easy runs, with a bike ride in between

Edited by lsousa 2014-01-24 8:59 AM

2014-01-24 10:35 AM
in reply to: lsousa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

By the way, I've just came across this post: http://www.thecyclediaries.com/resources-2/team-skys-cycling-nutrit...

And on an interview with the Team Sky Chef (http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/healthandfitness/535189/the-sky-diet.html), he tells why they use rice cakes:
"We have cooked rice for the riders, which we use in the form of rice cakes during races. Rice is great, it contains easily digested carbohydrates, some protein and lots of water, which helps with hydration."

I might give it a try on my next long ride. I'm exactly 100 days before my first HIM, and I really want to try some "natural" solid foods.

I would find it very hard to eat a dry rice cake on a bike ini a areo position with a HR at 150ish on a hot day.
I went to a to Cliff Shot blocks and gel bottles on the bike during IM in was much easier for me to drink calories then to chew them up.

The Gel bottle was a huge hit for me!!

Now that you say that, yeah, there are some differences between a normal cycling stage and a triathlon stage, since on a cycling stage you can drop to the middle or back of peloton and eat/drink more calmly.

What is a gel bottle by the way? Never heard of them before.

For the weekend I'll have my usual short tempo and long easy runs, with a bike ride in between

The way I used a gel bottle is I just 6 gels into a water bottle and then fill the rest with water or my pefered energy drink I let is sit over night and the gel turns to liquid hence now I with 6 gels in the bottle I how have a 600 calorie bottle that I sip on throughout the race rather then have to chew bars up for calories. I have made a 800 calorie bottle before as well

I usually mix 3 Gu Roctane Pomgrates with 3 Hammer Huckleberrys and it taste good to me and the Roctance has caffine so it gets into the body quicker
2014-01-24 1:02 PM

User image

, Lisboa
Oh, I've never though on mixing gels on the water bottle before, awesome idea. I really need to try that on my longer rides to see if my stomach handle it well. thanks!

So far my favorite gels are from ZipVit, never saw GU gels on this side of the atlantic though.

Edited by lsousa 2014-01-24 1:06 PM
2014-01-24 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
The Gu Roctane is legit

and you are a All NAtural Guy

Try Hammer Nutrition they have very good stuff!!
2014-01-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: triguy1043

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by triguy1043 I use Ensure from Prerace calories for IM I drank one Ensure at 2:30 am and another at 4:30 am easy way to get in alot of caloires and protein Whats everyone have on tap for this weekend? I will hopefully get in a few hours of X-country and downhill skiing along with my LSD run

I tested out Ensure a few times and found it really difficult to get down.  Never used it in IM for that reason.  

Heading to Turks and Caicos through Thursday and really looking forward to running in the 85F temps and swimming in the resorts 25m outdoor lap pool!

Enjoy your weekend!

2014-01-26 12:42 PM

User image

, Lisboa
Another rainy weekend
I really love to run with rain, riding my bike however, hate it. Oh well, guess tomorrow I have an appointment with my turbo trainer for an 1h30 session.

Enjoy your stay Suzy, 25m outdoor pool plus warm weather sounds awesome

2014-01-27 5:28 AM

Extreme Veteran
Another cold cold weekend. Two treadmill runs, including my long run of 11 miles, which was just too long on the 'mill. Its not exactly the boredom, but I start playing with the buttons and end up running too fast. Next long run I will have to force myself outside, so hopefully this Saturday will be bearable.

On a plus note: my shoes were on sale for half price at the LRS, so I picked up two pairs. And with the loyalty credit they came out to be free!

Bruce.
2014-01-27 10:23 AM
in reply to: bwingate

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Good weekend of training here!!

Friday 35 min interval bike 3 mile tranisition run
Sat. 3 hrs of Downhill skiing 5 Mile Tready Run
Sunday 9 Mile run outside temp - Zero degrees my Gu Brew Froze and my Clif Bloks were like rocks
2014-01-28 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
NEED warm weather!!!!!

I am in a big desire to do a outdoor 5k test to reset my HR Zones

Hows everyone else braving the wether

Suzy is warm!!!!
2014-01-29 7:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
5 miles on the tradmill last night 1/2 mile repeats OUCH

But I felt good when I was done there is some FAST in my body I just have to dig down deep where it hurst to find it OUCH!!!
2014-01-29 8:27 AM

User image

, Lisboa
I love/hate intervals. I'll reintroduce them to my running schedule next week. I usually do 10x400m or 800m-1200m-1600m-1200m-800m, I think it were these longer intervals that contributed the most to my running.

Yesterday on the swimming class we had our first butterfly session, ouch, my abs still hurt today!

Edited by lsousa 2014-01-29 8:27 AM

2014-01-29 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

I love/hate intervals. I'll reintroduce them to my running schedule next week. I usually do 10x400m or 800m-1200m-1600m-1200m-800m, I think it were these longer intervals that contributed the most to my running.

Yesterday on the swimming class we had our first butterfly session, ouch, my abs still hurt today!

After trainig for IM and 1/2 IM theres not a whole lot of interval work its more tempo

But preping for this F1 Duathlon

1.7mile run
10 mile bike
1.7 mile run
10 mile bike
1.7 run

I think I have to find soem speed or else i am going to get crushed.

Hence interval work Hence OUCH!!
2014-01-29 9:31 AM

User image

, Lisboa

After trainig for IM and 1/2 IM theres not a whole lot of interval work its more tempo

1.7mile run
10 mile bike
1.7 mile run
10 mile bike
1.7 run

Wow, that duathlon sounds painfully fun!
2014-01-29 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

1.7mile run
10 mile bike
1.7 mile run
10 mile bike
1.7 run

Wow, that duathlon sounds painfully fun!

Yeah its May 10th so plenty of time to get ready but its fgong to HURT!!!
2014-01-30 10:19 AM

I went skiing for 7 hours on Tuesday. My body still hurts. Sooo worth it though.

Going to try to swim tonight followed by a long session in the sauna and try to relax some of these muscles.

As much fun as biking and running 30-40 laps around my gym is, I'd prefer to go outside... comon warm weather!

Cheers,

Mike
2014-02-01 9:53 PM
in reply to: budlizard

I need some advice on stretching out my bike fitness. I can do a really solid workout for the first half, but I usually hit a pretty big wall at about 30-45 minutes. I try and work on pacing myself, but even starting my first few intervals fairly easy, the act of repeating them will get my HR climbing big time on every successive one-- I just don't have the fitness to hammer intervals on the bike. I keep hearing intervals, intervals, intervals, but I'm wondering if I need to focus on some more low-intensity base miles to get my legs used to spinning for an hour plus?

I'm 3 mo out from my next A. I ride to work (25-30 min. each way) most days, and then I get 3-4 dedicated "bike workouts" a week. Should I focus those workouts on volume and longer intervals rather than high-intensity until I feel like I have some staying power, or is the key to keep at the high-interval work and figure that the 30-min. workouts will become 45 or 60 soon enough?

Thanks all!

2014-02-04 1:51 PM
in reply to: runningmon

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
Originally posted by runningmon

I need some advice on stretching out my bike fitness. I can do a really solid workout for the first half, but I usually hit a pretty big wall at about 30-45 minutes. I try and work on pacing myself, but even starting my first few intervals fairly easy, the act of repeating them will get my HR climbing big time on every successive one-- I just don't have the fitness to hammer intervals on the bike. I keep hearing intervals, intervals, intervals, but I'm wondering if I need to focus on some more low-intensity base miles to get my legs used to spinning for an hour plus?

I'm 3 mo out from my next A. I ride to work (25-30 min. each way) most days, and then I get 3-4 dedicated "bike workouts" a week. Should I focus those workouts on volume and longer intervals rather than high-intensity until I feel like I have some staying power, or is the key to keep at the high-interval work and figure that the 30-min. workouts will become 45 or 60 soon enough?

Thanks all!

Running Mom

So it sounds to me you are getting at least a hour a day during your commute (5 days a week?) , and then on top of those miles 3-4 other bike workouts. Are you riding twice on some days?

Sounds like alot of riding to me!!

What distance race are you preping for? Olympic?

Also how many runs and swims are you dong a week?

It will help to know all that info before speaking as to what the problem is.

Currently I have a 1/2 IM A race ini Sept and I am doing 4 runs and 3 rides per week.

I am currently prepping for a F1 Duathlon 1.7 run 10 bike1.7 run 10 bike 1.7 run and my prep for that is 4 runs 3 bikes
2014-02-05 9:21 AM

User image

, Lisboa
For those with treadmills and turbo trainers, you might want to take a look on this: http://www.thesufferfest.com/video-sufferfests/chrysalis/

Jeremy, it could be a good workout session for your F1 Duathlon.
2014-02-05 1:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY
I saw it today looks cool

I wish they would put together just a bike session for triathlon

It would be pretty intense I bet
2014-02-05 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Hi All!  I'm sorry I haven't checked in until now.  Things got away from me this week.  The trip was short, but very warm and fun!

Really hoping to get a couple of runs outside later in the week.  Roads are still a wreck around here and it's cold, but I'm going a little stir crazy on the TM.  

2014-02-05 7:34 PM

Yeah, I'm riding for a little less than an hour commute each day, although it's slow miles. On my commuter/beater bike, I have a hard time doing anything like intervals since a) I have to carry all of my stuff and b) lots of stop signs/crossings/etc. For comparison, my commute is about 3.2 miles, but it takes me 25 min on average.If I replaced my commuter with a road bike, which I've been looking at for a while, I thought about doing some intervals around work a couple of days a week and then picking up my stuff before I go home.

I know that the long slow grind of the commute is helpful, but since my weakness is sustaining effort for longer than 20/30 minutes, it feels like I should doing things more targeted at increasing my fitness/endurance, which my commuting ride certainly does not.

2014-02-06 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

Yeah, I'm riding for a little less than an hour commute each day, although it's slow miles. On my commuter/beater bike, I have a hard time doing anything like intervals since a) I have to carry all of my stuff and b) lots of stop signs/crossings/etc. For comparison, my commute is about 3.2 miles, but it takes me 25 min on average.If I replaced my commuter with a road bike, which I've been looking at for a while, I thought about doing some intervals around work a couple of days a week and then picking up my stuff before I go home.

I know that the long slow grind of the commute is helpful, but since my weakness is sustaining effort for longer than 20/30 minutes, it feels like I should doing things more targeted at increasing my fitness/endurance, which my commuting ride certainly does not.

I am a big fan of quality over quanity,
If you were IM training I would say worrry about the quanity a little bit more. But he more you explain it seems as if your commutes are JUNK Miles.
As far as intervals what are you trying to do and at what intensities.?

How are you gauging intensities? HR? Power? RPE?

Start with simple
interval efforts

10 Min warm up
5x 2 min @ 80% / 3 min easy spin

I have no training data to go by so it makes it exteremly difficult to suggest possible workouts.

At this point I would not be doping any interval over 5 mins and at a effort more then 80 - 85%

If you are looking fo ralll out efforts you can do

Tabathas
you do thies in sets of 10

20 secs All out
10 sec recovery

then take a 5 min easy spin and do the next set but these are more for power and intensity rather then endurance

2014-02-06 11:25 PM

Commutes are absolutely junk miles. My big issue is with trying to figure out what to do with the actual workout rides: knowing that I have the junk miles in already, but I can't consistently push effort past 30-45 min, do I just keep blasting intervals for short workouts for now, or do I need to add in some longer, but sustained lower intensity mileage to increase my distance/endurance?

No power, but I do HR for the workout rides, and I guess RPE for commutes-I've never used the HRM on them.
2014-02-12 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rome, NY

Commutes are absolutely junk miles. My big issue is with trying to figure out what to do with the actual workout rides: knowing that I have the junk miles in already, but I can't consistently push effort past 30-45 min, do I just keep blasting intervals for short workouts for now, or do I need to add in some longer, but sustained lower intensity mileage to increase my distance/endurance?

No power, but I do HR for the workout rides, and I guess RPE for commutes-I've never used the HRM on them.

Is it possible to not commute on days that you have scheduled trainer rides?
That may leave your legs a bit less fatigued.

I would start with short intervals and then build to longer stuff.

Are you training for a OLY or Sprint?

4 trainer rides per week

Monday - Interval work
Wed - Recovery ride folowed by brick run
Friday - interval session
Saturday - Longer endurance ride
2014-02-18 5:03 AM

User image

, Lisboa
Hi all,

How has your training been these past days?

Last sunday I finally managed to get my bike out of the garage (yay, first weekend of 2014 without rain!!) and did 50 mile on the morning, followed by a slow 10 miles run on the afternoon.

Of course, after such a great weekend now I'm down with a cold, already skipped my swimming session yesterday, and will probably skip my turbo trainer plus swimming session today, albeit feeling much better I don't want to compromise my recover at all.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Rss Feed  

of 8

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.