General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Fins Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-19 7:35 PM

Subject: Swim Fins
I was looking at buying a pair of swim fins to work on my swimming. I am a beginner swimmer and was wondering what type of fins I should look at or what the experienced swimmers recommend.

Thanks in advance

2013-12-19 7:44 PM
in reply to: Run/BikertoTri

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Swim Fins
Churchill surf fins.
2013-12-19 8:56 PM

User image

2013-12-20 8:16 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Don't, most people are hurting their stroke by using fins.

If you want to work on your kick get a kick board.
2013-12-20 8:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Swim fins are a useful tool and like any tool each type of fin has different purposes. Swim fin specific and not surf or scuba fin is best to use.

Fins can developed leg strength (quads and hamstrings), increase ankle flexibility overtime and improve body position and technique. They kick your butt in helping you develop faster arm turnover.

Know what you want to accomplish with your kick first. Poor kick; use a longer generic swim fin. Better kick; a medium length fin like a TYR Crossblade. Good kick; well you could use any fin to supplement your workout, but a good tempo fin like Zoomers or Speedo Biofuse. Then again any combination could be useful. Just do not get hung up on them using them all the time.

You know you have a good kick if you can kick (back and front) the length of the pool without fins or a kick board.

EDIT
I could go on and there is a ton stuff I could ramble on about. Just a quick post via phone.

Edited by BrotherTri 2013-12-20 9:04 AM
2013-12-20 10:05 AM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada
Originally posted by b2run

zoomers

X2 Love MY TYR Zoomers, I have some Speedo swim fins as well But found it was just too easy to overload the leg muscles and cramp something with them the zoomers allow for a very natural Kick still.

2013-12-20 1:13 PM

User image

If you are a beginner get some longer blade fins that will increase your propulsion and allow you to work on better body position. Buy the zoomer style fins later when have a couple years of hard swimming under your belt.
2013-12-20 1:15 PM

User image

2013-12-20 6:17 PM
in reply to: snappingt

User image

Pro

Swim posts are the best!! 

To the OP.....are you clear now? 

2013-12-23 9:52 AM

As your a beginner I second dont get any for now. Yes they can make it easy to do laps, but you need to get your swim strokes down well and swim smooth and learn to breathe on both sides, This can help if the swim is choppy. .

If you do get fins dont use them too much at each swim. Zoomers work your legs and last forever, they dont add a lot of speed and are a good training fin, Avoid any type of scuba fins, They are huge and are designed to move you with out much leg action.
2013-12-23 10:12 AM
in reply to: peggyswims

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I disagree with those that say don't use them as a beginner. 

One of my issues when I was learning how to swim was my kick.  I bought Finis Zoomers (blue back then) based on feedback from this forum.  At the time I could move backwards with a kick only.  My first length with the fins was a highlight of feeling for what I was doing wrong and I was soon able to kick properly.  I did not use them for swimming but specifically for developing my kick on maybe for a couple of 50's in a workout.  This helped me develop the balance needed to make other improvements in my swim stoke.

2013-12-23 10:20 AM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Swim fins are a useful tool and like any tool each type of fin has different purposes. Swim fin specific and not surf or scuba fin is best to use.

Fins can developed leg strength (quads and hamstrings), increase ankle flexibility overtime and improve body position and technique. They kick your butt in helping you develop faster arm turnover.

Know what you want to accomplish with your kick first. Poor kick; use a longer generic swim fin. Better kick; a medium length fin like a TYR Crossblade. Good kick; well you could use any fin to supplement your workout, but a good tempo fin like Zoomers or Speedo Biofuse. Then again any combination could be useful. Just do not get hung up on them using them all the time.

You know you have a good kick if you can kick (back and front) the length of the pool without fins or a kick board.

EDIT
I could go on and there is a ton stuff I could ramble on about. Just a quick post via phone.

what do you mean by this?

"You know you have a good kick if you can kick (back and front) the length of the pool without fins or a kick board."..

do you mean kick without and arm movement?, I'm confused but want to understand.

2013-12-23 11:19 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by snappingt These work great. http://swimshops.com/bt-swim-fins.html

x2, and not just because Swim Shops of the Southwest is owned by BTer/swim god/superfishfriend TJ Fry These are the fins I would suggest to a starting (as in, not learning to swim, but knowing how to swim freestyle and wanting to swim it better/faster/in races) swimmer.

Fins can have a place and purpose in swim training (and yes, different kinds of fins can be more or less effective depending on where you're at in swim proficiency and what you're working on/towards). It's really important to know what that place and purpose is for you specifically. There are some starting swimmers I would not recommend any type of fin for.

It is my experience among swimmers I've worked with and mostly the opinion among coaches I've worked with that for starting swimmers, fins are not for working on the kick. Generally, they provide easier propulsion and to some extent balance during certain drills so that aspects of body position and/or arm work can be more effective and focused. And for that, a relatively long swim fin (they're actually medium-length, just long relative to the popular short-fin styles now) is best. They're also cheap!

2013-12-23 11:56 AM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by tarmac52

EDIT

"You know you have a good kick if you can kick (back and front) the length of the pool without fins or a kick board."..

do you mean kick without and arm movement?, I'm confused but want to understand.

If you have good kick bio mechanics with a good body position (hydrodynamic) you should be able to kick in a streamline position without the use of your arms or and other bouncy device. To propel yourself (maybe not fast) from one end of the pool to the other on the front or back without and other assistance will demonstrate this.

Yes you could still have bad position or kick and get there but it will be one heck of a struggle. Most poor kick bio mechanics will only be assisted by the use of kick boards or fins. I my experiences these devices are tool to help correct or strengthen weakness.
2013-12-23 1:30 PM

User image

EDIT

If you have good kick bio mechanics with a good body position (hydrodynamic) you should be able to kick in a streamline position without the use of your arms or and other bouncy device. To propel yourself (maybe not fast) from one end of the pool to the other on the front or back without and other assistance will demonstrate this.

Yes you could still have bad position or kick and get there but it will be one heck of a struggle. Most poor kick bio mechanics will only be assisted by the use of kick boards or fins. I my experiences these devices are tool to help correct or strengthen weakness.

so do you lay your arms at your side and just kick the entire length of the pool?, or do you put your arms out forward?
2013-12-23 1:48 PM
in reply to: tarmac52

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

EDIT

so do you lay your arms at your side and just kick the entire length of the pool?, or do you put your arms out forward?

Arms out front, hands overlapping, fingers pointed, arms squeezing your head. Same position on the back.

2013-12-23 1:53 PM

User image

Saint Paul, MN
I am not experienced by any means, bu tI use these for kick sets

http://www.finisinc.com/equipment/technical-products/training-fins/...

2013-12-23 2:45 PM
in reply to: jlruhnke

User image

As a beginner swimmer I use fins for balance drills. They let me focus on body position instead of propulsion.
2013-12-23 3:21 PM

User image

EDIT

Arms out front, hands overlapping, fingers pointed, arms squeezing your head. Same position on the back.

thanks!!... always looking for new drills to do!! Thanks!
2013-12-23 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
You should seriously have a few of your athletes try churchills. Perfect middle ground between a zoomer style and a longer fin. Most or our top fly/backstroke guys wore them in the 90's. They are short enough to keep a natural tempo....
2013-12-23 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
A good kicker can do 50 metres under 30 seconds.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Fins Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

swimming fins?

Started by Danno5671
Views: 1034 Posts: 4

2007-04-17 5:52 PM running2far

Swim Fins - technique question

Started by workoutbunny
Views: 979 Posts: 6

2006-01-09 11:16 PM davidb

Swimming Fins

Started by DRM
Views: 733 Posts: 5

2005-12-28 6:12 AM karris

Which swim fin to buy?

Started by jcabanti
Views: 630 Posts: 3

2004-09-06 11:57 PM skavoovie

Swim fins for training?

Started by umbach
Views: 1757 Posts: 12

2004-02-14 11:33 PM evrunning
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 4, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
comments : 0
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.

date : December 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on swimming faster, sinking during the shark fin drill, benefit of a wetsuit and breathing exercises to help swimming.
date : January 22, 2009
comments : 1
This month, drills make up about 15% of each workout, and we’re adding in a bit of sprinting/anaerobic work.

date : February 11, 2008
comments : 1
I am still pretty weak in the water and have a pair of Zoomers that I use for drills. What do you think of wearing fins to swim in the pool until I build up endurance?
date : November 28, 2007
Question and answers on swimming strength challenges, is kicking important, 'runners kick' with ankle inflexibility and the usefulness of fins, pool buoys and paddles.

date : September 4, 2006
Discussions on leg dragging, swimming with fins, body rotation, keeping the elbow up, kicking benefits and stroke length.
date : August 31, 2004
Have no fear, there are things you can do. Even the worst of kickers can develop an adequate kick for freestyle, which is all you need for a triathlon swim.

date : August 31, 2004
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.